1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Solo Slim..Is this a bogus supplement?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Victoria35, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Victoria35

Victoria35 Active Member

A friend I had not seen in several months came by my office today and she has lost so much weight. She said she is using a product called solo-slim. I will attach the link.
    She lost 30# in 3.5 months. I am skeptical about this product but there she was standing in front of me looking the best I have ever seen her. I was jealous, to say the least. She even had muscle tone. All she did was control her eating with this pill which helped her burn fat and control her appetite.
    I have taken these kinds of pills before and I don't believe in them.
    She does not sell these...bought them direct from company.
    What do you guys think after you see the website. I would really love your input...although, you will probably say what my doctor said when I called her...."The only way to do it right is exercise and eat right"..., which I have said myself to friends...but what if this works?!?!?
    Am I just looking for an easy way....whine, whine, but...she looks good...and here I suffer not able to control all my cravings and barely losing any weight...I've only lost 2# in one month! Thanks for helping me either feel better about trying this or feeling better about not.:confused:

http://www.soloslim.com/index.html

Victoria

2. dluc

dluc Active Member

No matter what the supplement, your nutrition and training need to be appropriate to encourage weight loss. If all you had to do was swallow this pill to lose weight, the entire world would be buying it.

3. tedpod

tedpod Well-Known Member

Ingredients: Konjac Glucomannan, Lotus Leaf Flavonoids & Alkaloids, Citrus Aurantium Synephrine, Hawthorne Hyperosides and L-Carnitine Tartrate.

i dont know much about nay of these angridients other than L-carntinine which helps your body use fat as fuel and curbs the appetite a bit...

it could be an okay product , is it a solution to sweat and hard work determenation , learning to eat right, live well, understand your body...

absolutely not..

4. Victoria35

Victoria35 Active Member

I know, I know

:p

I just need something...I guess I have to admit I am a wuss...I have lost 45# on my own before and I saw and experienced how much hard work it was!!

I am so stupid to let 30# or so back on and I just don't think, honestly, that I have it in me to do what I did a few years ago and kick a-- again.

I'm just looking for help, I guess....b/c I don't think it is in me.:cry:

5. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Looking at the ingredients, it looks like it might have some appetite suppressing and fat burning properties, but, these products will usually only give you a slight advantage at best. If you decide to try it, make sure that you also make dietary changes and exercise.

6. tedpod

tedpod Well-Known Member

you need some help....go here listen to this.. http://www.everydiet.org/podcasts/seminars/binsav/2005-01-03-goalsetting.mp3

you want to lose 30 lbs?...2 pounds a week safely ...so 15 weeks...thats it...i mean you could wait till next wek to start and then be 15 more weks away ...or tis tie next week you could be 14 weeks away..the choice is yours to make...go listen to the pocast

7. Victoria35

Victoria35 Active Member

I will..

take a look at it..
    Thanks
    V.

8. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I think where most people fail or rebound is they don't learn to really eat and exercise, they just "diet" and occasionally try to cardio themselves to death.

That SEEMS like it makes sense, right? Cut the intake, increase energy expenditure.

The problem is that when you start to do that, you just set yourself up for it to be harder than it needs to be, and if you do get to your goal, you might not like what you look like as much as you thought you would.

Your body sheds muscle along with some fat, because if you aren't using muscle except to do endless cardio, the body doesn't need to keep that expensive to maintain tissue around. So it lets it go, it uses it up. Once it's reduced, that makes it harder to keep the metabolism up, especially when you stop "dieting".

To add to that, people eat way too few calories for their bodies, so hormonally it becomes harder and harder to get rid of the fat since there's: 1) not enough muscle to use it, nor enough stimulus to keep the metabolism high, and 2) the body has downregulated the metabolism via hormone regulation because it knows there's not enough food to keep it running at a higher level.

So people kill the two things they've got to help them by going too low on calories, muscles to keep the metabolism up (along with the stimulus that working them gives), and hormones to keep those metabolic processes working that will burn the fat. Plus, at the end, if they ever make it through the crappy hungry tired feelings they invariably get because of 1 and 2 above, they end up not looking like they wanted to look anyway, but only a smaller but still soft as before person.

One thing I've learned after doing it the wrong way once (too much long cardio with little to no lifting) and doing it the right, controlled way the second time (lifting with interval training while eating enough) is that I can cut without starving myself, without feeling run down, without feeling like I'm "on a diet". I just learned to eat right and exercise efficiently, and I look a whole lot better to myself than I did the last time I was at this body weight.

I feel I can now cut and bulk however I want without ever feeling deprived since I've learned the lessons of above.

I'm not saying you've done it the way I originally did and found it hard. I don't know your history. I just have seen a lot of people bounce all over the place, never really learning the habits that make it a lifestyle instead of always "dieting", etc.

Look up Metabolism Advantage. It's a good cheap book that goes through a lot of this stuff.

Some supplements are fine, but most people will do better initially working on the basics, then picking up the other stuff if they want to later. They are really the small details in the big picture, though. They shouldn't be the focus of how you reach your goal.

9. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

I absolutely hate this marketing bullshit (pardon my french):
    You can't take this forever, so if you haven't changed any habits....this product is worthless. Give me the money instead...at least I'll invest it and have it grow into something.

The promise of weight loss without effort is a myth, a fallacy, a hoax. This is crap and will do NOTHING for you IF you don't invest effort into diet and some effort into getting active. If you don't have any interest in either of those activities....don't waste your time and or hard earned money on empty, unfulfilling promises like the ones above.

10. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Usually I agree with you Gordo.

However, I think it's likely this product is not a "hoax".

My husband lost 30 pounds using a weight loss supplement (not the same one), without investing any effort into diet or getting active. So, it can be done. I've seen it with my own two eyes.

But of course he gained all the weight back gradually as he stopped taking it.

These products have not been clinically tested for LONG TERM weight loss, and are not designed for such.

He's taking the same supplement again now. He knows how I feel about it, but this is the way he wants to do it. I'm hoping that it somehow uncovers some motivation, and encourages him to develop some healthy habits that will allow him to maintain his new weight, if he gets the same results this time. :(

11. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

I guess I should have gone a little further in my explanation. As always with these products, I don't doubt they might actually do as intended...look at the ECA stack...effective sure, no question. Long lasting, permanent results....NOPE. I don't believe the product itself is a hoax... what they are implying, is (a hoax)....that you'll lose fat (this is the part that's read in: and keep it off forever....that's what people want to believe)

The promise and hope is always the same story. I'll take this product, see changes and it will motivate me to do real changes later on to keep it off. LOTS of people say it, think it, and hope for it. Very, very few ever find that motivation...life almost always gets in the way and the excuses to do anything about it are miles long.

This product suggests you will lose weight without having to change anything. Unfortunately, you're hopelessly tied to this product for life if you've made zero effort to change the habits that landed you there in the first place. Your story about your husband helps prove that.

So in essence, once you've gained it all back (since your body will rebound on you big-time...likely gaining more than before you started), the net result is nothing lost. In essence, the product has not done anything for you in the long run. We want quick fixes but fall into the same pattern over and over.

The way I see it, you have to want to change and for it to be permanent, it's a day-by-day thing, a conscience effort. For the people who can make that commitment with them self, they will be successful for life because they arm themselves with tools(knowledge) to be successful in the long run.

So I don't doubt, effective ingredients in the short term....possibly useful for a body builder preparing for a show, but that bodybuilder is already armed with years of knowledge on healthful eating and an iron will commitment to meeting their goals. The average Joe/Jane simply don't have those tools or don't want to listen/learn and spin their wheels.

I'll get off my pulpit now...It's just that I just hate promises like the ones I outlined. It rubs me the wrong way to no end. Deep down I think people who buy this stuff know better (there's more information on healthy eating and proper exercise than ever before) but on some higher level choose to ignore it because the "promise" is so overwhelming.

#11 Gordo, Feb 27, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  12. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

Do I necessarily think you have to go to the gym 5-7 days a week an hour or 2 a day to keep the weight off. Nope, not at all. I think people could probably keep it off with corrective eating and moderate activity no more complex than walking for 30 mins 3 times a week, or possibly just start taking their bike for short trips. Walk to the store rather than drive (within reason of course), TAKE THE STAIRS rather than the elevator/ escalator etc...

Nothing life altering and all pretty easy to implement.

13. Victoria35

Victoria35 Active Member

Interesting debate...

All of you make very good points. I will admit that I am one to need a reason to lose weight and once I lose it, which last time I did right by lifting, cardio, correct eating......I looked great.

I kept the weight off for 5 yrs and continued to look and feel great and I can't blame it one thing...but in a matter of months I changed a few things and started sliding backwards.

I KNOW BETTER. And I know these supplements are to help you if you already have sound habits. I remember how hard it was to kick it and lose the fat and add muscle and I am beating myself up for letting myself slip back into old habits.

When I saw my friend and how she just took these pills and the weight dropped off her with no effort, I just fell into the trap of my friends excitement. She is weaning herself off of them slowly.

I guess it will be interesting to see what happens when she stops relying on them entirely.

As for me, I haven't made my final decision yet....BUT I tried to call the company twice to get customer service and ask for DOSAGES, bc I thinik it is really FISHY that they don't list that online.

Guess what? I only got voice mail. I sent them email asking questions about dosages and if they interact with prescription meds and guess what? NO RESPONSE.

So I think I'm gonna pass.

Victoria

P.S. Thanks again for everyone's advice! I guess I will see about motivating myself to become as dedicated to long term fitness as you guys are.

14. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

Probably a wise choice.... Stick with a reputable company. Any one of the contributors (sponsors) at JSF would be a good call....including Chris Masons products (which I've never used, but his reputation is undeniable).
    Shoot him a pm or email for suggestions, since he's already expressed an interest in your plight.

That's easy, do LOTS of reading and re-educate yourself. The information regarding health is updated almost daily. There's tons of knowledgeable people here. Keep coming back, that will help foster your drive. For further motivation, consider creating a journal to help keep you honest. It's a good way to share your plan with others who can offer suggestions if you want them.

Good luck.