1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

SOC - Sober October Challenge

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by cnjlakes, Sep 20, 2008.

1. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Well, summer is over and I found myself enjoying more than my fair share of adult beverages. A lot of late nights, way too early mornings and several cases of the brown bottle flu.

That being said, I'm taking October off from drinking alcohol. Clear out my head, my liver and avoid the additional bad decisions that usually come with a few too many. No, not drive by's or streaking through the neighborhood... mainly those midnight pizzas.

So, if anyone out there would like to take a month off from the hooch and see what comes of it, welcome aboard. The JSF Wagon has plenty of seats available.

:gl:

#1 cnjlakes, Sep 20, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  2. smuhhh

smuhhh Well-Known Member

I'm riding shotgun on this one. Summer hurt me.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm fastening my seat belt and going along for the ride with the exception of October 12th, my wife's birthday.

4. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Welcome aboard guys! (excuse for bump as well)

5. needachange

needachange Active Member

Count me in I need a break. I've been taking it easy since the 14th of this month, only drank twice. This time I want to do it for the whole month and not cheat once.

6. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Welcome needachange! Looks like you've got a running start.

I'm a little nervous about this challenge... With some of the things going on in my life right now, I've found myself turning alcohol as a numbing agent. The stress isn't going to go away just because I'm not drinking, so I'll just need to open my eyes and deal with the situations causing me stress. One thing is for sure though, I will enjoy the better quality sleep!

Like Paul, my wedding anniversary is in October. First day of the challenge to be exact. I never drink soda, but I may splurge and get a Coke when we are at the hibachi place Wednesday. We also have a camping trip coming up the weekend of 10/11 and of course, Halloween. Halloween in my neighborhood is generally a huge party, with fires, cornhole, food and TONS of alcohol. Actually, that is my street pretty much every weekend. I've fallen into the habit of getting together with my two neighbors 4 or 5 nights a week and enjoying several hours of pool, cornhole, ping pong and of course, beer. Lots and lots of beer. They are great neighbors and I consider them good friends, but when I tell them I'm not going to drink, they usually have one of three reactions: 1) They are dismissive, like, "Yeah, right, sure Jay 2) disbelief, like alcohol is on Maslow's hierarchy or... 3) They attempt to force beer on me. No physically, but almost like a peer pressure thing. I'm wondering if that is because they are jealous and maybe a little concerned about their own consumption? :confused:

Sorry for the rant... I just want to be successfu in this challenge and use this space to vent, whine and recharge my will should it begin to falter.

Good luck guys!

7. needachange

Thanks for the welcome!

Most likely the third one is the reason. This happens to me too. I'm sure it happens to everyone. The same thing will happen with food. If you turn down dessert or anything people seem to get deffensive and ask "why not?" and if you tell them it just causes a big hoopla.

Most of the time I just make up an easy excuse like I have a headache or something if I don't feel like explaining myself. Or just seperate myself from those people for a while.

I did end up drinking on sunday while watching the Charger game. But technically it wasn't October yet :whistle: But I didn't drink yesterday and tomorrow is the 1st so here we go :spank:

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey guys, here we go. It starts tomorrow. My initial test is going to be this weekend because we're going away with some friends and having gone to this venue previously with the same crowd I know that the evenings tend to be centered around sitting by the pool, chatting, and of course drinking. I still haven't decided how I'm going to handle the inevitable questions, but based on my previous Sober challenges I've had good success just stating in an affirmative and non defensive manner that I'm taking a break from alcohol and leave it at that. The less said the better.

Jay, it's my wife's birthday on the 12th of this month (my anniversary is in March) and I will most likely have something to drink then, but aside from that I hope to be up to the challenge that lies ahead of all of us. Personally, it won't be easy, but knowing that I have support here will make the task less difficult.

Good luck and perseverance to all.

9. needachange

You could always do the ole' Diet Coke and Jack (or rum) minus the alcohol, they wouldn't know. Unless you only drink beer then well I don't know what to do about that one :lol:

Another one to do is tell people that you just got over being sick and are still taking antibiotics so you can't drink.

10. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

alright i'm in!! sober october. such a cute rhyme.

anyways i started a couple days ago and am reserving the right to drink on halloween.... since its actually on a friday this year..... but i might just boycott it altogether. we planned on being sister wives (polygamist style).... but haven't got a "john" committed yet. :lol:

football is gonna be rough..... good luck everyone!!

11. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Welcome to the wagon! Big Love Halloween... that's good!

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Each of your suggestions has merit, but in the long run I've found it easier to take the pain of inquisitivenss up front. That way it's all out on the table, I don't have to be secretive in any manner, and should I see these folks before the month is out I don't ave to make up another ruse.

Hi Deja, glad that you've joined in. I hear you about Halloween. We host a large Halloween party every year and it's going to be tough getting through it, but there are a number of challenges before that for me, such as this weekend. One hurdle at a time.

I love your costume idea.

13. ZxViCkYxZ

ZxViCkYxZ Active Member

I'm in! With the exception of Halloween, of course :D

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome to the party!

15. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

:lol: yeah. we wanted to do the big swoop hair with the add on ponytail and a dress with a fuckin apron thing around the neck... definitely floral or light colored.... with lace....god that'd be so hideous :dreamy:

to the first part..... i was thinking about taking the money i'd save from not drinking for the month and either :

a. donating it to a charity/cause

b. investing it

c. giving it to a someone who's kids don't have namebrand clothes

i'm thinking this helps the "drinking pressure" cuz i'll just explain what i'm doing and be stoked on it.

oh and thanks for the welcome seltzer.

16. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

Good luck all. Although, I've not been part of these threads for a while I have remained sober for each month this year. I'm kinda on my own S08C.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice going. Such long term abstinence isn't my goal, but the fact that you've had the discipline to achieve your's is :tu:

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Great idea about what to do with the $$ and to also add additional motivation.

No need to thank me, it should go to Jay for starting this.

19. Anguish

Anguish Active Member

I'm definitely in on this one. I've been drinking waaaayy to much lately and it's totally killing my goals and my wallet. I could use a month of detox!

20. needachange

1 down 30 more to go!

I'm just going to keep editing this post for each day of not drinking.

Day 1 - No drinks
    Day 2 - No Drinks

#20 needachange, Oct 1, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2008