1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Sober October Challenge!

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by cnjlakes, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks cnjlakes, I can still use the luck this weekend, but unlike you fighting the good fight yesterday I had a couple of cocktails last night with some relatives. Not tonight nor Monday when I see KWS.

I can't quite describe it, maybe because I'm deluding myself, but for some reason I feel as if being alcohol free during the stress of the upcoming few days will be easier because of my decision last night.

A great weekend to all.

2. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Hi Paul,

I say, don't sweat it. Are you doing better than you were this time last month? Do you feel good about it? To be honest, with the amount I was drinking, I would consider it a triumph if I only drank on Friday, Saturday and Sunday (and maybe Wednesday ;))!

Sounds like you have turned the monkey on your back into a gerbil (no Richard Gere jokes, please :nope:).

Have fun, enjoy life and feel good about yourself.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Jay, thanks for the words of support. And to answer your question, yes I am doing better than a month ago.

I'm happy to write that my dinner party tonight ended a short while ago and while I opened up a number of wine bottles for my guests my beverage of choice was selzter. :tu:

4. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Another great thing about not drinking, especially at a dinner party, is that you can have a little cheat, without actually cheating. Three glasses of wine is what, 400-500 calories and all carbs? half of that is a nice little extra somethin' somethin' from the serving trays!

Ok... It must be past my bedtime if the Simpsons are on! :sleep:

5. debaser

debaser Well-Known Member

another weekend down... one more to go

everyone still on board?

6. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Still here, still without beer!

7. specialk

specialk Well-Known Member

8. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

Oh yeah! I am still here. We're pushing about 3 months for me. I know I'm going to go another 6 months without drinking, but I haven't really decided how long I'm gonna stick with this.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Still here with the weekend behind me. Yesss!

10. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Good job to all!:claphigh:

I know some of us have struggled more than others, but the fact that we've kept at it with minimal slip ups is awesome. For me, this is a landmark that I am very proud of, even if I did slide once. Like I said, I'm not sure if I am carrying this all the way through November (even though I probably should!), it has taught me the importance of EXTREME moderation! :tucool:

Anyone wish they had an emoticon of the yellow head throwing up? Geez, I've been spending too much time at the Wasteland!

11. The_Brute

The_Brute Well-Known Member

I really can't believe I've made it to day 25 without a drink of alcohol. This has to be a record. I've had some rough temptations on the football weekends but have somehow managed to slip by. Making it through November would be crazy talk but I may be just crazy enough to give it a try... :D

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Just want to wish everyone good luck this weeknd. I made it through an uneventful Friday evening drinking only seltzer and water and will be doing the same today.

Enjoy!

13. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

I haven't had any alcohol in about a week now, but I have no intention of drinking again for a very long time since I found out it kills protein synthesis.

Before, I thought it was just empty carb calories :eek:

14. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

:eek::eek::doh:

Thanks for that info. Adds yet another reason catch sleep instead of a buzz! I've got a fridge full of Pelligrino, so I'll be on the Seltzer trip as well. Happy Saturday!

15. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

Interesting. Do you have a link to where you read that by chance?

Either way, I realize that I don't even like the taste of alcohol. If given a choice between Dasani, soda, or beer, I'll take the water all day. I love the feeling I get from alcohol, but I love being stoned too, and that's not really something I can do all the time either. It was great when I was a kid, but everyone has to grow up sometime and leave all the shit behind.

16. debaser

debaser Well-Known Member

17. specialk

specialk Well-Known Member

This weekend I really thought I was going to cave. Saturday night we were invited to a costume party and it was also my wife's birthday. We stopped over at our friend's house before the party and I was offered a Heineken which I turned down. But let me tell you I had an internal dialog that pushed me to the brink of sensible reason. Once we arrived at the costume party I felt better and was able to control myself. By far this has been the hardest hurdle this challenge.

18. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

:tucool::jumping::tucool::jumping::tucool:

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The only difference is that you're drinking the premium stuff. I have a fridge full of supermarket brand seltzer. :lol:

Have a great evening; I have more to write, but I also have to help the boy child with his science homework and keep an eye on dinner.

20. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Not for long... the fancy stuff has doubled in price in the last six months! I'll be switching to Kroger brand for $.89 a liter!

jay.