1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Sober October Challenge!

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by cnjlakes, Sep 24, 2007.

1. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Thanks everyone. I know that the only person I let down was myself, but am now more determined than ever to carry on. I may hold off until Thanksgiving, just for the hell of it. Can't go past 11/21, though... I will be with my inlaws 24/7 from 11/21-11/24 :cry:

While I fear no beer, there will be none here.

2. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Alright, back on the wagon and a goose egg in the hooch column :tucool:

g'night y'all.

3. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

I know what you mean about 'filling the vacuum.' what you do? Self gratification (haha)?

When you stop something that you use to pass the time, you are left wondering. I've filled my 'bored' time by catching up on some sleep, tearing down my bike and rebuilding it, etc...

I have a very good friend who is a brewmaster. He started out in England, working for Ruddles, then to Copenhagen to work for Carlsberg, which also took him to Russia. After that, he went to work for Coors, based out of Golden, CO (may as well say Denver). That job took him all over the place. He would go to breweries that were brewing Coors under license (Guinness, in Ireland, for example) and make sure that the taste and chemical composition were the same as what was brewed in the US. Which leads me into a joke... What do American beer and having sex in a canoe have in common? They are both f*cking close to water. The drummer just gave me a rimshot.

Ok, enough beer talk! Time for a Gerolsteiner!

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What I've found is that I'm going to bed earlier and I'm also doing more reading of novels.

5. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

you and me both. I am hitting the hay now.

6. debaser

debaser Well-Known Member

Hi all... got room for one more in here?

I probably drank alcohol, sometimes 1 or 2, sometimes 10, just about every day for at least the last year. I can line up the excuses with the best of 'em (failing relationship, stressful job, low self esteem)

I woke up on 9/29, after a particularly bad fight with the now ex-girlfriend, feeling like absolute garbage. As per my usual hangover routine, I said I would take that night off. Invariably I would always feel better by that night and rationalize having a couple, especially since that was a Saturday.

Something different happened that day though... I didn't have any. Woke up the next day feeling pretty good and decided to see if I could make it 2 in a row. I did, and felt even better than the day before. Why not go for 3? then 4?

Well now all of a sudden I'm 18 days in, and feel great. I found this thread totally by accident, but making it through the rest of the month sounds like a great idea.

So, count me in!
    John

7. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

That's awesome! It is amazing, how once you clear that mental hurdle, you feel so much better. I've had one slip this month, but it made me more determined. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you.. sometimes 1, sometimes 10 (more often the latter than the former!). I am getting better sleep, making better use of my time and saving a decent amount of money to boot!

Welcome Aboard! I'm not saying that I won't have a drink in November, but this challenge has really helped me to realize that I don't need a drink(s) every evening, that it is something to do occasionally and in moderation, with quality trumping quantity. :tucool:

8. specialk

specialk Well-Known Member

This is exactly my rational for going the distance.

Welcome John. 18 days is no small feat! Especially from where you were coming from.

9. Croz

Croz Active Member

Gentlemen, I just wanted to stop by and say outstanding work.

I've never been much of a drinker, coming from a long line of distinguished drinkers (2 of whom literally drank themselves to death). But I think what you are doing is outstanding.

Keep it up, and have a strong finish for your sober October!

Croz.

10. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

I say we extend this challenge for the month of November as well! :nod:

Count me in fellas!

:tucool:

11. specialk

I think you already have a running start - "Straight and sober 24 years"

12. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Yup, and it's the single greatest accomplishment in my personal life. More so than anything I might have done in bodybuilding.

But for every one of those 24 years, it's been one day at a time.

13. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

My 100th post on JSF!:jumping:

I look forward to NEARLY everyday of November being alcohol. Having said that, I don't know if I'll be allowed to join the challenge... However, I will be committed to not drinking on 'school nights' and limiting my intake to select occasions and in non-inebriating amounts. Let me know if I make the cut! The last 17 days have been quite interesting. I've learned a lot about my mind and my body.

I'm not bummed about my 3 pound weight gain as I was able to cinch my belt to the next hole this morning! I am making sure to drink a gallon of water a day. That's only six 1/2 bike bottles a day. Hell, I was drinking that much a day in beer:spank:

Just gotta say that even though I had one slip, I am very glad I posted this challenge. I've gotten a lot of support... not only just with abstinence, but in other areas as well. JSF rocks!

14. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

So, instead of the Sober October Challenge, would be called the "I remember November Challenge"? :lol:

15. debaser

debaser Well-Known Member

Its been surprisingly easy so far... getting off cigarettes was 1000x harder. That was an all-consuming obsession for the first couple weeks

A friend of mine is having a party Sunday, which will be my first real test of willpower. I asked him the other day if he'll have anything non-alcoholic and he just laughed and said 'yeah right'. When he started to realize I wasn't kidding, he almost sounded angry about it. 'Don't give me that BS... you're drinking. Why do you have to be so obsessive about everything? Just drink.' I don't really know what to make of that

So I still plan on going, and bringing along my own beverage. I'm not the least bit worried. Kind of looking forward to it actually

16. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

Ha! Quitting smoking is easy. I've quit at least 5 times already. I think the last time I quit has been over a year now. Go figure.

I have a friend just like that. He has no idea why anyone would choose not to drink. He thinks I'm a moron, and he usually gives me crap everytime we hang out. I just roll with it. Being sober is just like just about anything else. Some people just don't get it, and the positives outweigh any BS you'll get from friends who drink.

17. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

This mentality is everywhere. I almost think that when some people are drinking and they see someone who is not, they are almost shamed into trying to get that person to drink to make themselves feel better.

I walked over to my neighbor's house the other night with a glass of Diet Coke and one of them was like 'what are you drinking?' I said Diet Coke, to which they replied 'Diet Coke and what?'
    'Ummm... Diet Coke and ice.'
    'No way'
    'Yes way'
    'Do you want some Seagrams'
    'No, I'm not drinking and I if I were, it would be Maker's Mark, not that swill'
    'Just Diet Coke????'
    You get the idea...

It's getting to the point now that when I listen to '40 oz. To Freedom' I think about mineral water.

18. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Weird. I think I had an epiphany today...

Today was awesome. Great day at work, (thought) that I was eating great, but come 4:00, I could not stop thinking about a big fat oil can of Fosters. I fought it, fought it, fought it and won. I just entered my day's food into fitday and noticed that only 4% of my intake had been carbs! Was my body and mind craving beer because I was carb deficient? I dunno, but it sounds suspect.

Oh, and when I got home, the guy across the street was already numb and let out a huge 'DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!'

THAT, is why I started the SOC!

19. specialk

The other night I asked my wife "How do I look", and she replied "I hope you're not doing all this for me". She thought I was seeking her approval. I told her I was doing it for myself. We are not here seeking others approval but rather doing it for ourselves. :nod:

It seams a lot of us are faced with some difficult challenges this weekend. I just want to wish everyone good luck.

20. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

I agree 100%. Fortunately, I have a pretty temptation free weekend lined up. All family time :tu: I'm looking forward to getting in a couple good runs, an intense weights session and start rebuilding my bike. Oh, and some good sleep!

Seltzer (and everyone) good luck! This the weekend you are seeing KWS, right? Being sober at a concert is actually quite amusing. Seeing the Dead sober was like going to a (sometimes gross) carnival on another planet!