1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Sober October Challenge!

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by cnjlakes, Sep 24, 2007.

1. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Ok, I know that THE biggest reason I am dropping weight slowly is my love of beer. :drool: I am going to abstain from alcohol for the month of October to see what effect my beloved brewskis are having on my efforts to lose weight (both calorically and metabolically). Anyone else want to give it a shot with me? I must be demented... Oktoberfests every weekend, football, cool weather for making chili... and I'm giving up beer. I think it was John's proscrastination post last week that got me to thinking about this.

j.

2. jason12676

jason12676 Active Member

I got you both beat!!! I haven't touched any booze since 10/22/2002 Hence a 60lb + weight loss. I'm sure not all of that can be attributed to not drinking but I bet it's not hurting - If I can pull that off you guys can do a month no problem!! LOL :D

3. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

I love this challenge!! Good luck to everyone and I'd like to see some more participants!! :) Come on....where is everybody! ;)

You'll never know what being "high" is, once you give up alcohol forever. You have my guaranteed stamp of approval on that one! :nod:

:tucool:

4. jason12676

jason12676 Active Member

I 2nd that!!!!!:claphigh:

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Count me in, with the understanding that I most likely will be having something to drink on my wife's birthday, the 12th. Or does that rule me out?

6. specialk

specialk Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be a challenge without you. Glad to have you on board. Being forthright about your wife's B-day should be OK so long as you make a concerted effort to remain sober for the other 30 days.

7. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Don't worry Seltzer, I've got a double dose of temptation this month... My wedding anniversary on 10/1 (great way to start!) and my wife's birthday on the ninth! It wouldn't be so bad but I'm hosting a party for like 40 people. I'm going to try my best. It will be hard, especially since the juice has pretty much been a daily thing for a few more years than I would care to admit!

It can and will be done.

Jay.

8. specialk

My wife's B-day is on the 27th. I'll make sure she has a great time and when it comes time to toast. I put the glass to my lips but I won't inhale. :D

9. mastover

Ha, well it is called the October Challenge for a reason, I guess. In other words.....you use, you lose.

Or am I being too harsh with my expectations? :confused:

:gl:

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:

Hmm. Good points Mastover and, no, you're not being too harsh. Dem's da rules. Whatever I decide on October 12, I believe that there is benefit to joining this. I know I would technically lose the challenge were I to have anything on my wife's b'day, but if my aim is to use this challenge to modify some behavior that needs attention then even if I do have a couple of drinks during dinner on my wife's b'day (and I may or may not) and I'm clean the other thirty days I'll consider myself meeting the challenge. Okay, met it with an asterisk.

I'm not approaching this with a "I'm never going to drink again" attitude, I'm approaching it with an "I need to cut out those unnecessary weeknight drinks" attitude and this challenge seems like a motivator to help me do just that and start a new healthier habit.

Thanks.

11. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Heck No, Mastover! Maybe I heard this on an episode of Kung Fu..."Seldom is the right answer the easy answer"

I think it will be amusing as well as interesting to watch people slowly become unglued as they drink more. It may give me some interesting insight! When you are becoming 'unglued' yourself, you don't notice the behavioural changes! :nono:

jay.

12. mastover

Yup, absolutely. This is why during my seminars on alcohol and drug abuse, I refer to alcohol as being the most dangerous *drug* out there. Not just for the physical trauma it inflicts, but rather how it alter's a person's behavior.

13. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

You will enjoy the experience, I can tell you for sure.

Being the only sober person at a drinking event is... interesting. I stayed sober during my brother's bachelor party in February. I had two beers across a 12-hour long party. It wasn't a fitness goal or a determination thing, it's just that I don't drink to get drunk - not anymore. I drink a cold beer on a hot day because I like the taste of a cold beer on a hot day. I drink a whiskey sour with a fine steak because I enjoy the combination. But I stop after a couple. I just can't fathom ever losing another day of my life to puking over a bowl or nursing a terrible headache. Doesn't compute anymore.

-R

#14 Bluestreak, Sep 27, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  14. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

ALRIGHT!

Tomorrow is a wonderful day... My twelfth wedding anniversary! I'm a super lucky guy.

With celebration comes my first challenge! We have a sitter for dinner and will be going out. On top of trying to eat somewhat clean, I will also be abstaining from drink. Not a lot for some, but a lot for others. I'm looking forward to blackened scallops chased with San Pelligrino! HAPPY OCOTBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Ummm... I meant October.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    cnjlakes, happy anniversary and good luck with the October challenge!

17. specialk

Let's roll up our sleeves and get to work on kicking the crap out of the 800 gorilla that's been holding us back!

I can't say that I wasn't tempted to drink over the weekend before the challenge officially started but thought better off it and so far I've been 14 days sober.

18. TheLemonSong

TheLemonSong Well-Known Member

I'm in (but I'm making exceptions for wine on the Sabbath (if the oppotunity comes up at dinner and perhaps a date if one should also arise).
    These past 2 weeks were *filled* with drinking-binges and I gotta cut that out...not just for the booze itself, but the money too.
    ...also, I helped to create this Challenge Board, and I've yet to use it....

19. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Thanks Paul! :claphigh: