1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Sober January Challenge

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by Ecrivain, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :o :o :bang:

I'm sure nobody participating in the SJC wanted to be the first to break his or her commitment so I took the noble position and took the burden off of everybody.

Seriously, I'm not happy about it and somewhat embarrassed to have to write this, but I had a couple of drinks last night. It was foolish, weak, and really not worth it, especially in light of the hurdles I've overcome earlier this month, but it happened so I have to live with the consequences. Part of those consequences is informing my fellow SJC participants here as well as the broader audience who reads my personal journal.

I'll write the same thing here as I did in my personal update this morning which is that I'm not going to let last night's poor decisions throw me off track. I can't do anything about the glaring blemish on this month's record, but I do have full control of what's going to happen for the rest of the month and I intend for last night to be the sole slip up of the month.

Hang strong people, you don't want to feel the chagrin that I do this morning. That said, I'm off to the gym.

2. Arlen

Arlen Well-Known Member

Props to owning up. :claplow: But what's done is done. Put it past you and move on. I was at Bike N Beers last night and was dreadfully close to getting a beer but the thought of having to report to this forum stopped me. Although when I got home I just went to bed instead of working out. :(

You can still end the month, looking back and say I only drank one night this month. Cool. That's what I'll be doing - that damn glass of wine on the 3rd. :mad:

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Arlen, thanks for your support and perspective. As for owning up, I've been posting at JSF for about four years and I've always put an emphasis on full disclosure. Clearly, writing about the good is much easier than writing about the bad, but my stance is that if I don't come clean then it's tatamount to lying by omission and if I'm going to do that what's the point of a journal?

Like you last night, on more than on occaison knowing that I'd have to write something cringe worthy the next morning in my journal has helped me make the "right" decision.

And while we're on the subject of last night, nice going on staying strong under what must have been trying circumstances. Question: are those bikes motorcycles or bicycles? Sorry if you mentioned that already.

4. Finding Me

Finding Me Active Member

Woohoo!! Still bang on track, this is the best possible start to the year :)

5. BJ

BJ Active Member

So... would having a beer on Jan 31st to celebrate completing the challenge be kind of counter productive? :lol:

6. Arlen

Arlen Well-Known Member

I think it would...but I like the way you think!:tucool:

7. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

I saw this article and thought it might be helpful for us in this challenge: Guide to Drinking for the Teetotaler (from the often useful and entertaining site The Art of Manliness). It offers suggestions for drinks you can order at the bar when you don't want to draw attention to the fact that you're not drinking alcohol. And there are some other suggestions for drinks if you don't care what people think. ;)

8. Arlen

Arlen Well-Known Member

Mountain Bike Club. We get together about once a month in the winter (I live in WI) and long for warmer days. During the spring, summer and fall we just ride. Temptation actually wasn't that bad last night but I am fighting a major, MAJOR!, desire to crack one of those beers I got for my birthday. Today is by far the hardest. It's only 7pm too. :mad: :bang::cry:

- 8:30 Kids are finally staying in bed - asleep I hope. I'm going to lift now and see if I can't get rid of this massive craving I have.

-9:30 Well that worked! Now I'm just hungry. Craving is gone.

#68 Arlen, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nicely done!

10. andi

andi Well-Known Member

Thank you for the link Ecrivain, that's helpful for us girls too! :D

I was at a bar last night (networking, mind you!) At one point it looked like I was going to be given a shot of something, and I was trying to figure out how to politely decline. Luckily the dilemma passed, the shot wasn't for me! :lol:

11. Arlen

Arlen Well-Known Member

Last night was another struggle. The last few days seem to be getting harder than easier. But I was able to hold off and call today the beginning of week 3 no beer. I did not lift last night though – which a feel terrible about.

#71 Arlen, Jan 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  12. BJ

BJ Active Member

Guess what y'all... we're 1/2 way :claplow:

Congratulations to you all! And remember... 21 days in a row to make or break a habit!

13. BJ

BJ Active Member

It's Friday... the pizza and beer urge is strong! :doh:

14. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

15. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Now is the time to stay vigilant. We've come this far, we don't want to fail when the end is in sight. Think about all the money we've saved by not blowing it on booze. Think about how much better our workouts have been. Think about how we're getting stronger, mentally and physically, every day we stick to our convictions.

The rewards are worth the sacrifice. :nod:

Have a fantastic weekend!

16. Moveon

Moveon Well-Known Member

Tough--not so much success

It's been a rough go in the last two weeks. I was sick for a few days (didn't have anything to drink then!). My workouts suffered, things weren't as productive at work as they needed to be, etc. etc. Bascially, life happened and I didn't deal so well.

I haven't over-indulged but I have not made the choice in the moment to not have the glass of wine with dinner or when with friends and it's offered.

I'm still working on this. Failing. Getting back up. :blank:

17. andi

andi Well-Known Member

I may be reviled when I say wow, that has gone by quickly and painlessly! Tonight may be a bit tough though. Going to a weekly billiards party held by some old radio friends o' mine. They keep the fridge in the garage stocked to the gills with Pacifico, my beer of choice. Mmmmm, Pacifico..... :drool:

But, I shall be good. For all of you!!

18. andi

andi Well-Known Member

Well, damn. I think my confidence must've jinxed last night. When I went to this same party two weeks ago I couldn't drink, doctor's orders, because I still had the drainage tube. I had forgotten that on that night the fellas said, "we'll have to celebrate next time, when you've gotten the tube out."

When I arrived last night my entire group of friends gave me hugs and congratulations on coming through my ordeal, and I was poured the very last shot out of a $150 bottle of tequila by our resident top-shelf-spirits connoiseur.

I didn't turn it down, and I don't regret it. It was absolutely wondrous. Took me about two hours to drink it because I couldn't stop smelling it - this tequila has a lovely aroma that reminds me of cognac. So nice.

So, that was my one discretion for the month. It was worth it, but I'm back on the wagon now!!! :D

19. BJ

BJ Active Member

20. Arlen

Arlen Well-Known Member

:bang::bang::bang:

Saturday night did not go so well. The Devil in me grabbed that bottle of beer popped the top and took a nice long drink from it. With that done...what the hell let's have a couple of more.

:bang::bang::bang:

I shall pick myself back up and try to make that the only blip on the radar. This is much tougher than I anticipated.