1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

So whats the best way to get separation on your legs?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by GRCRYSTYK, Jun 27, 2006.

1. GRCRYSTYK

GRCRYSTYK Well-Known Member

Just curious if there were lifts that created more pronounced separation. I have always had somewhat smooth looking thighs. Nothing of any charactor, but the other day, the light just happen to hit my leg just right while I was getting ready for work, and I saw a slight, and I mean slight, indentation between the muscles of my thigh. Like the begining of the muscles separating. So it got me to thinking,..Just how can I promote this?
    Trust me, I'm not a person that's hung up on how I look really. Not good looking, and certainly not a guy that would be noticed on the beach,...;). For cripe sake, I'm 44 :eek: , but as body building is a very slow process, every little bit helps.

Thanks as always,...>>>--->

2. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Having a low BF% and a good amount of mass will bring out definition -- just like in any other part of your body.

3. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

Building muscle and low bodyfat.

So, squat heavy, do some isolation quad exercises if you want, and then cut calories when you're done building muscle.

4. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Keep working the legs to get the muscle.
    Drop your body fat % to see them.
    I'm 47 and the muscle growth still happens. My brother and I have dad doing stuff (he's 74) and he's growing muscle. So don't worry about having to act your age.

5. GRCRYSTYK

Ha!,..Dang it guys,...The building part is slow. I'm to the point now where I'm actually seeing things change, evnen though it's small changes, it's pretty exciting, as I have never had this happen before during my youth,...

Played a lot of Hockey, which you can imagine was all sorts of punishment on the legs, and I never saw detail on my legs that I can remember, even as a kid. I wasn't doing much lifting back then, and that may very well have been the reason, but you would think all the other training would have turned out something.

Well shoot,..No big deal really. I want to trim down a little more. Maybe for most of the summer months,and then really work hard at a solid bulk come fall,...Should be interesting. If my schedule allows, I will be training very hard for a few months, then cutting for next summer. I may actually take pictures to document. Up to this point, I have no record, other than some older pictures that show the weight I use to have before changing diet and lifestyle,...

Thanks again,...>>>--->

6. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

GRCRYSTYK, what type of cardio are you doing currently?

May want to look into uphill sprints if high intensity cardio is in your routine. I can't speak from experience, but from what I've read it may help you.

7. GRCRYSTYK

1FastGTX,..
    I do a mix. Depends on what has been going on around the cardio day,and such,..Yesterday for example was LISS. Today is a big lifting day with squats, and I will be gone for three days working beginning tomorrow afternoon, so tomorrow if I find a place to work out, I will more than likely to LISS again, as I will probably be beat from work,...

However, I did just read a good bit on doing HIT to spare muscle whill on a cut,...So much to sift through trying to learn what works best for each person,...I see the aproach to LISS, and well as the HIT

>>>--->

8. Tower of Power

Tower of Power Active Member

Low body fat and weight training as mentioned above is definitely the best advice. Here are a few other tips to try:

1) Higher rep leg workouts - I have noticed a difference in my leg seperation since I started doing 15-20 rep leg workouts.

2) Streching - This a little hard to explain, but at the end of your leg workout, stand in front of a smith machine and put the bar about waist leve or slightly lower. Grab the bar and squat down. Then lean back as far as you can. You should basically be sitting on your heals. This really streches your quads. Try to hold it for 1 minute. If you do it right it will be excruciating!

3) Keep training - Legs are the one body part where muscle maturity really can come into play. The longer you train intensely with weights the harder and more seperated your legs will become as long as your bodyfat is low enough to show it off!

Russ

9. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

For maxium definition, heavy slow leg extensions and leg curls should be a part of your exercise plan. Also hack squats and sissy squats.

10. GRCRYSTYK

Thanks again for the input guys,..I will try the stretching move, sounds like a good idea anyway,...

Also, something I never did much while I was younger was the leg extensions and leg curls,..I do them all the time now, and figured that might be a key player in the separation. Just pressing moves, it seems to me would not create this,...

>>>--->

11. BreakingPoint

BreakingPoint Well-Known Member

All I did for quads was squats and lunges. I have decent separation (especially down the center and around the teardrop).

12. TylerGred

TylerGred Well-Known Member

I also do lighter weights on leg ext. as I'm afraid of all the stress on the knees.

13. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Full squats are effective for the tear drop - its certainty bringing out mine. :)

14. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

There shouldn't be any stress on extensions, if using proper form. Most rehab centers use one for knee exercises. some tips: relax your feet, don't point toes. Ease into the contracted top part, pause briefly and smoothly under control lower it. Also make sure your knees align with the axis of rotation on machine.

Now as to wherever you use squats or extension for a previously injured knee is your decision, I can understand you don't want to re-injury them, but studies do back them up as basically safe. Look at a good net search to see more on subject.

#14 RTE, Jun 28, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  15. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Leg extensions can be hazardous when you go heavy, fast, and don't ease into extension. Following rtestes recommendations is a safe way to use them.

16. BKR

BKR Active Member

Almost any exercise can be hazardous when you go heavy, fast, and don't ease into it. :nod:

17. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:lol: Great point! :D

18. BKR

BKR Active Member

:tu: