1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

So I am 60! --- Now What?

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Justitia, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Maya -- glad you got your questions answered. It is a good site.

On my sinus front my doctor gas figured out the problem. I have a drug resistant organism in my sinuses.

The only possibility is to take some heavy duty IV medication. My EnT is working with a pharmacist to develop a nasal irrigation of the drug instead. He says he has had good success with this with other patients with this problem.

There is a risk that the drug will get in my Eustachian tube -- and cause temporary or permanent dizziness. But he says in that is the case in theory. In practice he has never seen it.

I wonder how I got it and how long I have had it. But it does explain why I have not been able to get rid of it and why when it came on suddenly I was like i had chronic sinusitis all my life.

My shoulder impingement is almost completely better.

I have still not made it to the gym for weights,

2. Cocomartinez

Cocomartinez Active Member

Glad you were able to get a diagnosis. I hope they come up with something that solves your issue without you having more side effects.:tu: Good luck!

3. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks.

I can't tell if the antibiotic nasal irrigation is working. I can say this is the longest I have been off of oral antibiotics in almost a year. And its been a little over 2 weeks.

My shoulder impingement got a little inflamed with my travel over Thanksgiving. I am sure that is due to my muscle atrophy from not being able to lift weights for 1 1/2 years. The should feels so much better and I stopped being careful not to use that arm. Traveling means lifting my roller board up into the overhead compartment. I can still do it but not with the same strength as a year and a half ago -- so I am sure that helped re-inflame my should impingement.

But it was minor. my PT already has me on the mend.

I am finishing up a paper I have been working on, on and off, since March. It is extremely short but it has been extremely difficult and I have needed to have some extended uninterrupted time to concentrate on it. I have not had that since last March until the day of Thanksgiving. I had about a third done by then. I have just finished the second 3rd tonight and I hope and believe I will be able to finish the final third tomorrow. The most difficult part was figuring out what to do and how to do it. I had been stuck at one point since the beginning of October. But now I have broken through that and though it will still be challenging to finish the last 3rd, I no longer have to figure out the overarching framework -- that is now done. I just have to figure out what the particulars of the last part -- for which I already have a pretty good idea.

I read the paper as far as got to PGC. He said I could just stop there -- there was enough -- but I have these ideas that are my own original ideas I want to put in the paper in the last part.

The paper itself is an introduction to a symposium we held last spring and the journal I am an adviser to is publishing the papers from that. it was a really good conference, surprisingly so -- i think for everyone there, presenters and participants alike.

I didn't want to do the customary Forward that says something like "we had this great conference and it was about this topic and we have 15 papers we are publishing. Paper one is about this and it is extremely interesting. Paper two is about that and it is fascinating. Paper 3 is about something else and it is really innovative" blah, blah , blah. That would be a paper that would say nothing and just be lip service for a forward.

I wanted to develop an overarching framework within which to put all the papers to create a unifying context and also get the reader in formed about the topic as it is not that well understood.

The problem is that I knew nothing about the topic until the conference. When i signed on to do this, it was in an area that i have written in before though not my primary fields. So I didn't know that the area had gone through such a revolution, a rather quiet one for about 10 years until it started to get more attention in the last few. SO most people in the field even don't have much of a clue about it except the few who directly write in it.

So I had to catch up and master about 15 years of intellectual development is a rather short time. And I tend to be a detailed learner. I need to nail every minute detail down. (As people who know my posts re: fitness know -- how obsessive I am for detail and getting everything "perfect.") So that make me a very slow learner.

And then on top of that, my goal was to innovate a framework that would encompass and co-ordinate the work of 15 different people writing on 15 different things with no though to any one else. That is not easy .. let me tell you. :nope:

But after 8 months of struggle with constant interruptions teaching in the summer as well as the spring and fall (something I never do but I really wanted to go to Israel -- and i am glad I did) and an exceptionally demanding period by my institution as my new Dean implements so much change so rapidly -- which is great -- he's doing a terrific job -- but those of us on his team are worn out from all the work we have had to do to create this transformation -- the paper is just about done.

When I read it to PGC tonight... his reaction was probably the most gratifying I could hear... he said the paper made him wish he had gone to the conference.... and he hates conferences -- though he speaks at them all the time.

So I feel i have achieved my goal. I won't get much professional credit for it -- it is not the kind of work that is considered central scholarship or anything... but it was personally gratifying -- though extremely tense-- to do all this hard work sporadically over the last 8 months and I learned a lot and it was intellectually very stimulating and satisfying. And after all, it is the personal satisfaction that drives one to do anything, the external laudatories are just collateral benefits -- they are never enough alone to motivate putting oneself through such pain. It's just like working-out... :nod: :tu:

Anyway -- the tense demands at the university are slowing down as we are now beginning to reap the rewards of nearly two years of hard work -- this paper is just about finished and that will be off my head and my teaching is finished for the semester. I do have 123 exams to grade in the next few weeks. :eek:, a professional conference to go to - to prepare my two course next semester the subject of one which has gone through a major revamping over the last couple of years which will require a good deal of attention on my part (the securities market regulations.. :whistle:) and I have my major paper to finish which has been on hold for 3 years.

But believe it or not... that is a slowing down of the pace I have been going at for a couple of years now.

I look forward to perhaps having some consistent time to get back to the gym!?! I hope... :dreamy: ( I thought we had a praying smilie but I guess we don't.)

I have attached a couple of pictures from a trip to the Wadi Rum desert in Jordan I took with my students from the Israeli Program I taught in last summer. It was one we put together ourselves. It was pretty incredible.

(The young woman on top of the high rock cliff was a student at Haifa but also form my university. She decided to enroll in my course this fall -- it was so difficult for both of us because my students at Haifa and I bonded so much -- and I had to maintain a professional distance -- which just felt so unnatural for us.) I saw her for the first time since classes ended yesterday at a Starbucks. She was studying for my exam last night. We just couldn't resist and broke out in smiles and just hugged. I can't believe how much I miss everyone.)

Attached Files:

#103 Justitia, Dec 11, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  4. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

The pictures of Jordan are fantastic. Reminds me of the pics I took of the American southwest. Just great sunlight and shade. Makes me jealous of my daughter who is going to Israel in January with the Brithright Israel program.

5. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well... I was sort of waiting until my paper was finished and give my shoulder a little more time to heal before I went back to working out. I figured about a week. So I was eating out, picking up stuff and not even doing my cardio.

Well one week turned into two and it is still not finished -- but I couldn't stand living like this anymore. So Last hight I went to Whole Foods -- did a week's shop, did cardio this AM -- cleaned up the kitchen and prepared some of the food for the week. No work on ,y paper.

My shoulder took a leap into getting better -- enough so I feel I can go to the gym and start getting back into weights -- very carefully. It seems like now is a good time to get back into Waterbury's Total Body Workout -- since I ma quite familiar with that.

From books I read -- I should do my shoulder work last and I will be doing the exercises my PT gave me.

We'll see if I make it in. I am still under the weather from my sinus stuff. I have no idea if the nasal irrigation is working but a lot more seems to be draining out. So I hope that means the infection is clearing up. I am actually irrigated 4 times a day: 1 time each morning and night with the antibiotic irrigation and usually about an hour before that I irrigate with the usual NeilMeds saline solution.

I am sleeping a lot, probably because I am generally exhausted. It has been a tough 3 years physically and the work at school has been extremely demanding for the last year and a half. But classes are over and the intensity of demands the Dean has made came to a climax a week ago. He basically took the final step of wrenching the school out of its culture of mediocrity into the affirmative direction of excellence last week pretty much against the majority will -- which is just what he needed to do.

Though the demands on my Dean don't drop off -- they are now primarily focused on activities external to the school -- not internal -- primarily fund-raising.

So, my teaching load for the spring is normally supposed to be very light but my enrollments for some reason doubled this spring. I am not sure why. And though I have half the number of students that I do in the fall -- I am teaching 2 different courses in the spring, each of which is intensely demanding -- and having so many students spreads my availability thin.

I also have to ramp up my efforts on my writing. That is the one area that the Dean wants more from me He doesn't know how sick I have been for the last 3 years which is why my publishing has dropped off given the demands he has made otherwise. But that all happened since he's been here. I just hope I can keep my energy up.

Anyway, I know the one thing that is critical is that I eat healthy, sleep healthy and workout healthy.

So I have my work cut out for me. :nod:

Edit: my sinuses were hurting too much so I didn;t make it to the gym... :(

#105 Justitia, Dec 15, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  6. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

SO I slept over 10 hours last night. Obviously I needed it. I t feels like I am back to being low-level sick again from the sinusitis.

Today:

45 minutes of fasted cardio

Food:
    Breakfast: 3 soft boiled organic eggs, 2 oz natural Canadian bacon

Snack: 3 oz cooked turkey breast, 1 1/2 oz raclette cheese.

Lunch: 5 oz natural pork, salad with Balsamic vinaigrette

I will fill the rest in later with an edit.

7. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I know this is whining -- but it was one year ago today that I got sick with my sinus infection. My ENT had a cat-scan taken of my sinuses last week and he said it should the sinuses in my cheeks were filled with fungus balls (one major cause of chronic sinusitis. )

I first started feeling a general malaise 2 1/2 years and my internist said I should all the symptoms of black mold reaction and there was probably black mold somewhere where I was living.

It was also at the time just after my hysterectomy and I had gone back to teach in the fall 6 weeks after the surgery. The malaise feeling passed -- I never did anything to have the apartment tested -- and I though I was going under physically because I had needed more rest before I went back to work after my surgery.

So right now -- I am trying to finish a parer I've been working intently on -- I hope today (though I have been saying that for two weeks.)

I am scheduled for major sinus surgery (4 hours) in mid-February.

Between now and then I have to finish another article (which should not be as painful as this one) grade 123 exams, get my new courses ready and start to teach them.

I want to get my apartment as spanking clean as possible and then hire someone to come in and test. If there is any presence of black mold I can force the building to do what is necessary to get rid of it. My apartment has flooded to varying degrees many times over the years. They stopped bothering to spray for black mold prevention.

Maybe I will be able to come back to a fungus free apartment after the surgery.

While the current paper is struggling to be finished -- I have just not been able to maintain any kind of fitness or diet routine.

Hopefully -- by the end of today -- that will be over.

8. carra

carra Active Member

Hi there! I am just returning to this site after a long time. i have been dealing with family medical problems for some time now and I am finally attempting to get myself back on track to my goal of loosing weight and body fat. I am also a baby boomer and glad to see that there are many of us attempting to do the same thing...getting ourselves in better shape. Hopefully, we can share some dialogue on this blog. Sorry to hear about all your injuries. It is clear that we (at our age) cannot do the same things that we did 20 years ago. I because a personal trainer this summer so that I could learn about taking care of myself at my age. My goal is to work with "mature women" and help them maintain muscle mass in their coming years. I hope to learn more from this site and people like you!

9. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I finally finished my paper at 1:38 AM this morning... :blank:

10. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

:tu:. so now you will have more time to focus on
    :)

11. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Sho 'nuf Jedi :tu: :)

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats on finishing the paper. :tu:

13. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I hate to be a constant false starter.

My paper is done and my grading was done at 1:30 AM Friday/Saturday morning.

I felt my energy coming back a good deal.

My target was to start back on my fitness plan today.

Of course yesterday I woke up feeling quite poorly. I kept waking up through the night because I couldn't breathe.... my sinuses.

I am beginning to suspect that there is black mold in the heating ducts of my building that blow air into the apartment to keep it warm. It was freezing that night and the heat was on more continuously. My ENT said the Catscan showed I had fungus balls in my sinuses.

But belting back about !/2 gallon of OJ and a few Airborne tablets seems to take care of my feeling sickly.

So I slept long through the night and woke up today feeling just fine and progressively better throughout the day.

This is the way it has been for a few months now. I never know when I am going to be hit with feeling ill. But it seems to last no more than 2 days and now it seems to last a day. It is always my sinuses and breathing that becomes problematic. And my "cure" a ton of OJ and Airborne wreaks havoc with my food plan -- not to mention that I don't feel like working out or any other work -- which puts me under more stress and behind.

My feeding on sugar stuff seemed to stop of its own accord once grading was done.

But the eating from the last 3 months has really taken its toll. I can't fit into any of my clothes -- not even the clothes I wore years ago as I was losing weight and getting into shape over time. And I don't even own the larger clothes any more as I donated them thinking I would never wear them again. But I kept a few items because they were so beautiful to me... but that is a really limited wardrobe.

I will have PGC take a pic but I won't post it until I have a better photo to show along side it. :no:

School started today. I don't teach until tomorrow. But I worked all day and have more to do tonight.

I did AM Fasted cardio but did not have the energy to do evening weights. SO I will start that on Wednesday.

Am eating totally clean today but under-eating. Not enough time left in the day to eat all the food. Plus I am not hungary... probably all that cake I ate for the last 3 mos.... :lol:

So we'll see if I can get to sleep sufficiently early so I can get started tomorrow with cardio and a doctors appointment and teach my classes.

:tucool:

14. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Haven't you been talking about this for years?

MOVE. You don't need this crap in your life. :mad:

PS. Fungus balls in your sinuses? :barf:

PPS. Airborne.

PPPS. :love:

15. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

2 1/2 years to be precise... :lol:

You know how hard it is to move!?! Particularly when you are sick all the time? :lol:

We are waiting for PGC to move up here and then we are buying a place.

:barf: (That's what I said.)

I am well aware of the controversy... and I think it is a shame. Airborne really works for me. I can't believe it but it does. One of my closest friends who turned me on to it swears by it too. And whenever I convince someone to take it (I carry it around in my purse all the time) who is feeling really sickly -- they are amazed how much better they feel -- like almost well -- within 3 hours.

As I have been following the controversy -- it really stems around the language Airborne uses -- scientifically unsubstantiated claims they make that are not permissible by the FDA, etc. Anecdotal evidence doesn't count. It did not prevent me from catching whatever the woman sitting next to me had 1 year ago that started all this sinus stuff but other than that -- for me it works. I am never sick for more than a day and 1/2 with whatever bug it is that is going around.

My sinuses, on the other hand, it doesn't seem to help.

However, I also started irrigating with Neilmeds. My friend (same one with Airborne) and my ENT had been trying to get me to use it for almost a year. Every time I tried it it stirred things up -- I got sick for days and back on antibiotics.

But this time,my ENT started me on a different antibiotic and I started using the Neilmeds -- it made me worse for a few days but then it made me better. Tests also showed I had an antibiotic resistant organism up there as well... :p SO he started me on an nasal irrigation of gentamicin.

And I've started getting better. I still get sick but not as frequently and not for as long and not as badly. And I have not been on any antibiotics for over 2 months -- first time in a year.

I am scheduled for surgery in a month but I am thinking of holding off now.

:dance:

:heart: :)

16. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Brutal first couple of days of school.

Was getting better on Monday but by Tuesday, my teaching day -- I was in my office until 11:00 PM -had to rush out without packing my food (I had breakfast and lunch while working at home) -- had not time to go get something to eat -- got home and I was (and am) sick again.

But I am eating clean. I did fasted cardio Monday and, despite a bad night last night, today. I am also amazed how wired I am after a day & evening of teaching -- I could not get to sleep until 3:00AM. I am sure that contributed to my relapse.

My caloric intake is now too low -- but it remains clean.

I am so fat that my size 14 suit was too tight but I had to wear it anyway. Last year I was a size 8. :cry: :cry:

No one realizes that I am sick because I don't look it. The same factors that keep me youthful looking seem to keep me looking healthy even when I am haggard and sick. So I get no sympathy.

Oh well.... take the bad with the good.

I won't start weights until Friday. Here's hoping I am sufficiently recovered by then. I need to get back to the gym -- get my strength back.

My goal for the rest of today is to stay eating clean (I am packing in my food) and get to bed by 10:30 PM. :nod:

17. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well, even a few days of clean eating seems to have already helped. A pair of boots from my formerly heavy days, which two weeks ago I could not zip up my calves all the way, zipped up today with ease. So now I can wear a skirt with them.... :lol:

18. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

:tu:

Baby steps, sister.

19. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

So I learned today that there has been a bug that has gone right through school and flattened a few people -- their symptoms being pretty much the same as I have been having the last few days.

It seems stupid, i know, but I was really happy to hear that... that my not feeling well was not my sinuses but an actual bug. And not only that, I fared better than most -- a number of faculty and staff stayed out a couple of days in bed.... I did cardio...:flex:

So I am home early for me tonight. It is weird... it is Wednesday and for the last 15 years this was the end of my teaching week. But now I am on a Tuesday Thursday schedule but my weekly "circadian" rhythm hasn't adjust yet. I definitely don't feel like teaching tomorrow. Of course in part it is because I never got a winter break -- I worked straight through the holiday.

But I am really beginning to feel like I am starting to get on top of my life after it has been out of order for more than 4 years (actually 5, if I date it from the break-up of my last relationship.)

I am still eating clean though I am not quite on my food plan, I am ready for bed and am going to watch an episode of Damages on FX's internet site and then go to sleep.

The show's interesting though a little unrealistic about being a lawyer but it gets better as the show evolves. There some really excellent scenes -- one of "trial" deposition of a potential witness that was quite excellent. The actors are so strong, Glen Close in particular. It is just the young female lead -- she does not have the acting power that the others do... I would have liked to have seen a more convincing intelligent ambitious young woman.

But Ted Danson really amazes me. I've always loved the characters he played particularly on Cheers and Becker. But he is really reaching a pretty wide range. The script writing, though from scene to scene is very powerful but it lacks consistency... characters don't evolve they seem to choppily move form one state of mind to another.

But I am still getting drawn in... I don't know why but I've always loved the more recent (from my perspective) lawyer shows -- LA Law was my favorite -- Law & Order and most of its spin-offs and replacement actors -- Not all but many of the CSI series. The Practice.

These shows have done a terrific job of explaining the issues embodied in the law, the different perspectives, the emotional and intellectual appeal of all views and the constraints the legal system imposes -- for better some times and for worse at other times.

I only get to watch them when I am doing cardio as I don't have a TV. But they are also just about the only shows that engage me enough so I get through my cardio.

I also like a number of comedies: Spin City, Will & Grace, Frasier... these are shows that come on as reruns in the AM.

Anyway,,, I am just babbling ... so off to internet TV land and the next installment of Damages and then to bed :)

20. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well, I just squeezed into a size 10 pair of gap stretch jeans. "Squeeze" is the operative word here... and so is "stretch" :lol:

It is amazing what 10 days of clean eating can do, even if one is not adhering to a specific food plan. A week ago, I was squeezing into a size 14 suit. Of course most of this loss was just put on in the previous 2 months -- so a lot of it was water. And while I have been eating clean -- on most days, I have been under-eating, not intentionally -- just nervous stomach. But it does give the "quick-weight-loss" wonder that we all know is unhealthy and certainly something I am stopping as of now.

I have my new food plan ready to go. I did not do weights on Friday b/c on Thursday I tripped getting into school and went head down on the side walk. I broke the fall with my hands, mostly my left arm - which has the shoulder impingement. But other than my wrists being quite sore and my shoulder sore (not where the impingement is) nothing seemed to be injured -- except my pride :( First sign of becoming an old lady, tripping and falling. :cry:

The impingement seemed not to be affected at all. It is healing the last 10% in the same slow steady pace it was before the fall.

So I did not want to aggravate my wrists with weights and make things worse. It's been 4 days and the soreness in the right one is barely noticeable and the left one is noticeable but almost gone.

By Wednesday I think I will be fine and good to go -- though late as I have a meetings until 7:00 PM that evening -- so I won' get to the gym until 8:00 PM. But that's OK -- I intend to take it really slow and easy my first day back... :nod:

Tomorrow, I will start in the AM with fasted cardio -- though I have been doing that on and off any way.

My ENT has not called back yet to discuss postponing the sinus surgery. But I am still feeling like it is the right thing to do.

Though it is MLK day today, I'm off to the office to take care of some stuff I didn't over the weekend (in part because I spent 15 hours figuring out the menu for my new food plan. If I don't do that so I can shop and cook, I will never be able to stick to it... :nope:

Anyway, a new dawn is upon us, regardless of our particular perspectives in life.. and a new dawn -- regardless.. is always a time to celebrate.... :cool: