1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

So I am 60! --- Now What?

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Justitia, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well.. I have been gone because I injured myself with a shoulder impingement with my new routine.

Though I was very careful to go slow, with extremely light weights (like 1 and 3 lb DB's) one of the days' routine called for a full body push-up.

I just didn't think it through. I used to do push-ups fairly readily and they weren't normally part of my routine. The coach who designed this program in response to another woman's question should she start with the knee's down version -- the coach said no, do the full up on the toes version.

So I did. Not realizing I was putting 150+ lb pressure on my shoulder. Within a couple of days my shoulder started bothering me. I didn't pay too much attention but it got worse. I called my PT and they had zero openings for 3 weeks. It didn't seem so bad but by the time I got in there it was pretty bad. Diagnosis: impingement -- stop working out -- physical therapy so far for a month.

I am healing relatively fast but I probably have a few more weeks to go. I am doing certain exercises to build up my shoulder area as part of my recovery but the rest of me looks like I never worked out a day in my life.

It has been 13 months since I stopped regular working out with weights.

So I posted in the weight forum here request for help to develop a 3 day split routine that I could do while I complete my recovery.

I know this injury occurred because my body is so weakened by not working out.

My food sucks. I do cardio 2-3 times a week and I am basically depressed.

So if anyone wants to help up there with developing a routine -- I would appreciate it.

2. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Starting Once Aagin

I am just going to post what I did.

8:30 Am-- woke up
    10:30 -- fasted cardio
    11:45-- Breakfast: 3 large organic eggs, soft boiled, 1 slice organic breakfast ham 300 cal, 15g F, 4.3g C 31.4g P
    2:00PM -- Lunch: 5 oz organic boneless skinless chicken thigh, visible fat removed, small organic salad, organic chipolte & ancho vinaigrette 292 cal, 17g F, 4g C, 30g P
    5:00 PM: Nitrean Protein shake: chocolate w/ Belgian chocolate powder, tbsp Carlson's Fish Oil 280 cal, 17g F 3g C, 30g P
    8:00PM: 5oz cooked shrimp, 2 cup organic veggies (Zucchini, yellow w/ small amt tomato sauce, pepper, squash mushrooms) 259 cal, 35.7g F, 14g C, 40g P
    11:00PM: Ricotta Cheese & Nitrean Vanilla W/ sugar-free hazelnut syrup 273 cal 15g F 9.3g C, 30g P

Total: 1412 cal, 72g F, 35g C, 155.5 P

6 glasses water

Edit: I woke up in the night and ate a large organic Honeycrisp apple (they are the best) an organic banana and 75 grams of tamari-soaked almonds and added 615 calories to my total which brings it to 2,028 and added 35 grams of fat and 65 grams of carbs. Middle-of-the-night eating is something I have got to kick. That is my first goal.

#82 Justitia, Oct 7, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  3. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Hey, Justitia :). I broke my collarbone in June and have just recently gotten back into working out properly. I also have to build up the strength and muscle in my shoulder again.

Did you see chico's post in your other thread? I like his recommendations. I'm going to try and see if I can find illustrations of the exercises that my PT has recommended to me for my shoulder. I can't to proper pushups right now either, so I'm doing the kneeling ones. I don't see anything wrong with that.

4. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I am so sorry to hear that -- that's a b*tch :(

Yeah! That was kind of him. I am going to try my first set tonight.

5. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

Hi Justitia, man it must be so frustrating again and again to be sidelined from the weights:(, I feel for ya. The nutrition above (before the night pantry raid :) ) is great though, and even if you can't do much weightlifting, you can certainly be dropping fat on a diet like this.... could you try drinking something if you wake in the night. I often make a herbal tea or decaf coffee if I wake up in the night. Normally you shouldn't be too hungry because you are in fact eating a great meal at 11.00 not long before bed:confused:

6. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

I'd immediately drop the fasted cardio. With your lack of weight training, the cortisol response to this form of cardio is very destructive, ensuring further loss of muscle. Particularly if poor diet is in conjunction. Sorry to hear about your shoulder. For workout and training ideas, refer to my journal if you wish. About three months ago I tore my medial deltoid and have been unable to train shoulders directly, as well as completely altering the way I train everything else. However, I am currently 2 1/2 weeks out from a bodybuilding show and my progress has not been derailed. Further, my training is quite infrequent and goes against what you usually are "supposed" to be doing. Might give you some ideas. Just a thought. Good luck! :)

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi Justitia. Sorry to read about your shoulder issues.

A couple of years ago I tore my rotator cuff and my PT had me doing those same three exercises that were mentioned in the Wikipedia article that you referenced. It did take a while for me to return to health, but the good news is that I did with full ROM and there's no reason that you won't also.

Good luck with your recovery and don't be a stranger.

8. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I got sidelined - again-- by a return of my sinus infection which came back with a vengeance. I am not longer able to stay off antibiotics for more than 5 days.
    This bout was bad. I set up an appointment with my ENT in 10 days. I should have gone sooner -- but you know -- work.. :read:

But it has given my shoulder another week to recover before I start weights. -- but I ended up nursing my infection food-wise with soups etc. so no proper meals.

Now I am just trying to finish this paper which was due Sept 23 -- and has proven to be far more difficult to write than I anticipated.I've enjoyed doing the work -- but it has caused me to spend considerable time mastering a field I will not write in again-- though I liked learning about it intrinsically.

So i am keeping my food simple but not measured. Mostly protein & fats with some carbs -- mostly in the form of fruit.

I will get back to calorie and macro counting when this paper is finished which I hope will be in 5 days,

Your suggestions for the middle of the night raid are a great idea, I discovered a flavorful fruit herbal tea while in Israel: Wissotzky Red Tea Rooibos Infusion with Chamomile, Lime and Honey (I don't add the homey -- it come laced with a barest amount.) I also discovered while in Israel: electric water boilers where the heating element in enclosed in housing away from the water. Faster than stove top and more energy efficient. Also they are cordless, very convenient to use. I bought one for my office and I am going to buy 1 for my home: BRAUN WK200B AquaExpress Electric Water Kettle

I will definitely check out your thread. I understand your view on cardio -- and I know that I am risking furthering the muscle loss through the cortesol response -- I keep weighing this and I end up coming to the conclusion that the sense of well-being and infusion of energy from low intensity cardio just works for me. I am more likely to get back to weights with it than with out it. But I know your views and understand your reasons.

But as I said I will check out you journal -- I am desperate for ideas on how to work around the shoulder issue -- but fortunately the shoulder is healing fast -- thanks to a great PT.

Good to hear and yep -- I am hoping to be in better shape than before the impingement. I have had for some time not as full a range of motion as in my other arm. After working on this and talking with my PT -- I have had symptoms for years on this shoulder that I planned to look into and hadn't yet (with everything else going on.) But, as he said, my shoulder was probably an "impingement waiting to happen." All it took was something that set it off. SO the outcome might be beneficial in the long run.

I am feeling old. 26 months ago -- I had impossible great health -- now I feel like my body is just giving out in every direction. :( But I know I can get it back to health. Just patience and moderation.

9. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well .. I have not been able to do my weights. I think I am scared. My food has gotten totally out of control. I am still in physical therapy for my shoulder. My ENT has decided as a last ditch effort before going the surgical route on my sinuses to blast me with anti-inflammatory steroids - the kind that caused Jerry Lewis to turn into a blimp. I will be on them for 16 days in decreasing dosage. The last time I was on them was after back surgery in '92 and I bloated over 30 lbs on top of the 30 pounds I gained form being so sedentary the previous 3 years b/c of my back.

So I started the steroids today and I am trying to get back on my food plan to minimize the bloat. I did fasted cardio this Am and I somehow stayed clean though I ate more carbs than I should have -- at least they were healthy carbs (fruit, etc. not sweets -- my downfall.)

I am now on month 14 that I have not been able to workout consistently. A little discouraging -- particularly since I see my belly swelling to a degree I have not seen in 6 years.

But the only thing to do is to get back on track as best as I can. :nod:

(Oh by the way -- I am still not finished with my paper. The editor is a student and I am faculty adviser to the journal. I have put him in an awkward position. I hope to complete it this week.)

10. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

I sure hope this steroid treatment works for your sinuses? did you not mention last year it could be linked to dampness in the apartment? are you still in the same apartment?

I think above all for healing and fat loss you should concentrate on eating clean.... this will also give you a great mental boost ;)

How is PGC?

11. Raylin

Raylin Active Member

Did your doctor rule out a mold allergy? Jedi mentioned dampness. If you have any damp areas in your apartment, even a small one, you could have mold growing on or behind walls, or on surfaces. Mold is common in damp areas and could very well give you a sinus infection. Some strains of mold will give the symptoms you described, some others can be toxic.

Ask that management have someone come in and read the mold content in your apartment. Often, the signs are not visible, so don't let them send an apartment handyman, he probably won't find it. You need a professional with measuring devices. Typically, the mold will be growing behind walls, or under carpets. They can measure the mold in the air, on surfaces such as walls and also the moisture content behind walls, without disturbing the wall. Ask for a written summary from the company that does the testing.

There are a number of ways you could be getting it. You can be exposed by breathing the air containing mold spores, such as from a central ventilation system (coming from another unit), or from your walls, or under your carpets. You can also be exposed through touching moldy items, such as walls, carpets, etc.

I own rental property and in my area it is required by local ordinance to remove mold. I would do it anyway, because of the potential liability.

Good luck.

12. MVWVM

MVWVM Active Member

Good luck. I had sinus surgery back in 1992, and it is much better than the anti inflammatories. Functional Endoscopic Surgery [FES]. Has been great since then.

Cheers,

M

13. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well, yesterday was the last of the steroids. It was a non-stop eating fest for 2 weeks. I just didn't seem to be able to help myself. My belly is so swollen -- it hasn't been like this since the last time I was on steroids 15 years ago... and it took 5 years to lose that weight.

I hope not this time. I know more now than I did then. But it was humiliating to pull down clothes I hadn't worn in 8 years but hadn't yet donated because I liked them so much. I am officially a size 14 -- 1 year ago I was a size 8.

Today -- so far -- knock on wood, I am eating clean. I did cardio this morning and I plan -- once more -- to go to the gym to do my first work-out -- truly hoping I do not injure myself this time.

The steroids helped my shoulder tremendously. It is almost back to where it was before the injury -- but I know now that I have been living with a mild rotator cuff impingement in my left shoulder for over a decade, if not longer.

The physical therapy helps but not that much anymore. I've cut back to once a week. And I am starting to be more disciplined about my exercises for the shoulder. I am missing physical therapy altogether this week because I am so busy with work.

So I have a book that is supposed to be excellent wrt rotator cuff issues: Treat Your Own Rotator Cuff by Jim Johnson.

I recently purchased his The Sixty Second Motivator and found it surprisingly helpful as a self-help book. It took a couple of hours to read -- it was straight-forward --and applying the principles to myself seemed to really help.

So I am off to take a nap. Let's see how I do today at the gym.

14. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I didn't make it to the gym. All the routines I had would put stress on my shoulder and I couldn't figure out how or modify one fast enough to get to the gym on-time.

I didn't think it would be that complicated.You would think after all these years I could do that but I am not that facile.

But I will try to have one by Thursday. Chicanerous laid out some guidelines for me -- and I checked out Mastover's thread but it was still harder for me than I expected.

My food was clean, water intake adequate and my supps just right, however.

It is my first full day off the steroids and my food cravings are starting to subside-- TG -- I gained a huge amount of weight over the last 3 weeks. Hope it comes off as fast.

15. Cocomartinez

Cocomartinez Active Member

Justitia - you are a huge inspiration in terms of sheer persistence and patience. I know I´d have thrown in the towel a long time ago if presented with your challenges.:claplow:

Hats off to you. I look forward to reading how you creatively re-engineer your workout and food intake.

16. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thank you... That was a much needed boost..

17. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Sleep disorder, sleep disorder.

The steroids -- which give one tons of energy in addition to totally disrupting one's sleep patterns -- also masked my underlying issues with SADS (Seasonal Affective Disorder.)

Due to lack of adequate sunlight for a sufficient length of time, a sufferer from SADS tends to have sleeping problems. The symptoms are -- staying up later and later at night and sleeping later in the day. The other is complete lethargy and wanting to sleep all the time. People also tend to get depressed, cranky and anxious

The remedy is a qualified light box -- of which I have 3. You sit in front of them for a minimum of 20 minutes every morning when you first wake up. You have to be careful and not use them too much or too late in the day or it will keep you up at night.

Though I set up my light boxes last month -- they were really in conflict with the steroids which already were making me sleep deprived and hyper.

So I wasn't thinking about the SADS -- until I slept until 11:00 Am yesterday though I went to bed at 11:00 the night before and I was completely lethargic. I came to the office to work and I just couldn't get anything done. I just didn't "feel like it."

So I went to bed last night around midnight -- I woke up at 4:30 AM -- I could not get back to sleep for another hour or so and then my alarm went off at 7:30 AM.

I got up, I sat in front of my light box for a little under an hour -- and here I am in my office. I am not lethargic but I am having difficulties staying focused.

The light box is a cumulative effect -- it takes about 2 weeks to get normal again..

So I will have to be disciplined.

So I had one day that I actually felt good, Wednesday. It was the second day off the steroids and the SADS hadn't manifested itself until that evening.

But I hope I will continue to improve.

On the sinus front -- I have been using Neil Meds, a nasal cleanser my ENT recommended. I hated using it b/c it seemed to stimulate the infection to get worse. But I promised this time I would use it despite the discomfort. Which I did -- and I was on antibiotics so I felt that would help with any stirring up.

The Neil Meds made me feel crummy -- my sinus infection more inflamed -- this while on antibiotics and the heavy dose of steroids.

But surprisingly -- on the 4th day, the Neil Meds stopped being irritating and after a week or so, it actually started to feel good. And when i went off the antibiotics, if I missed a day of the Neil Meds, the infection would start to get inflamed.

So now I do the Neil Meds every day -- sometimes twice. It seems to really work.

Another thing I noticed -- if my food is off -- typically -- that I don't eat until late in the day -- the infection starts acting up but as soon as I eat -- it calms it down.

So now I have a second motivation to stay on my food plan.

Also, to stop eating after 8. I am sure it contributes to my waking up in the middle of the night -- to go to the bathroom or something.

So let's see what happens.

Exercise is out the window right now. I have had to be at school too early to be able to do cardio and I haven't had a moment to work up a weight plan that will not put my shoulder impingement art risk. But I hope to do so this weekend.

Definitely as one gets older -- no matter what you do for a living or otherwise taking care of your health becomes a number 1 job and becomes a real job. I realize that I need to put aside about 3 hours a day just to meet my physical needs and manage all the ailments that keep coming up.

18. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

Interesting.. I've known about this disorder and I've always thought that the symptoms are depression and lack of energy.
    Now that you mentioned the sleep... it sounds totally familiar!!
    I can stay up very later and later but it's hard for me to get up (even though I get 8 hrs sleep).
    How much are the lights are you talking about?
    How long do you have to sit in front of them? Do you have to sit close or can you work for example on a computer with the light next to you?
    I'm seriously considering it.
    I've always thought that I just hate witer and just because I don't like the cold I tend not to leave the house for days sometimes in the winter (seriously).
    I work from home most of the time, so except for the gym (have been struggling with that as well)... which is scary when you think about it

19. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Classic symptoms... this is not a "new age disease.. It is a real disorder.. recognized and affirmed by NIH. I know one of the people who did the research on it at NIH and he worked with the company to develop the light boxes.

Sunbox is the brand NIH used in their tests -- the model suggested will travel around the world (you can buy a carrying case for it -- the legs screw off and fold flat) SunRay II

There are others out there but a lot of fake ones -- this is the only one I can vouch for.

Right now they are on sale at $389 -- pricey I know -- but if you ask for a "used" one -- they will usually give you a further discount. The used one means nothing -- it is just the outer box that is "used". They put brand new bulbs in -- which should be replaced every 2-4 years.

If you ask, they will give you a 2 -4 week try-out with a money back guarantee. The only way you can diagnose SADs for sure is to use the light box for a couple of weeks. If you don't feel immensely better within that time -- then it is not SADs that is your problem. So you can return the box and get your money back. This is where the used boxes come from.

They are worth every penny if they work for you .... if they don't you get your money back..

They say 20 minutes a day in the AM when you first get up. But honestly, I will eat my breakfast right in front of it and then bring it with me to my computer and prop it up within a few feet and keep it on for an hour or two. You will know when you've had enough...

Just don't sit in front of it past 10:30 or 11:00 AM or you will find it will keep you up at night. It resets your circadian rhythm.

I have recommended this to a lot of people over the years, including some on this site, and almost universally they say their life has changed....

Me too...:nod: (and I am serious too)

Me too... :nod: (except I still have not gotten back to the gym for weights --- that's mostly b/c of work... and a little bit of fear of re-injuring myself again.) I only have to be at the office two afternoons through the early evening a week.. except when we have faculty meetings or other events. I can stay in my apartment for 5 days without leaving if I don't watch it....

Here is a thread from a couple of years ago.... http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=23467&highlight=sads

It's time to bump it up again... :)

#99 Justitia, Nov 24, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  20. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Justitia!
    I have some questions... the light the lamps are producing is UV light?
    How strong is it? Is it UVA and UVB?
    Stupid question... but does it give you a tan?
    The problem is that I use alpha hydroxy acid on my face as well as Retin-A so I have to wear sunblock almost everyday (when I leave the house).
    I'm gonna check out the links you provided though.. maybe it's explained there...

edited:
    this link explains that there shouldn't be any UV emited by these units.
    http://www.sunbox.com/Research/
    That's great news!

#100 Maya, Nov 24, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2008