1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

So I am 60! --- Now What?

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Justitia, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

My work-out plan....

I know I need to change what I have been doing because for the last 2 years I have been trying to stay on it only to be thrown off due to illnesses. My former program was quite successful my first 1 1/2 on it.

So this is my plan:

I want to try a new workout plan I found on MWA (the female testosterone forum) by a female competitor -- Olesya Novik

Here is her cardio routine:http://www.musclewithattitude.com/readArticle.do?id=1677554

And here is her weight routine: http://www.musclewithattitude.com/readArticle.do?id=1748229

I am thinking of going on the Anabolic food plan. I lie the idea of a carb re-feed where I can include fruits on the weekend.

I know it will take me a week to work this out and get it nailed down. So for this week I will go back to my old plan of AM fasted cardio LISS for 45 minute 5 days a week and weight 3 days a week, doing a total body workout.

Olesya's workout plan is a 3 day split the first 4 weeks and a 4 day split the next 8 weeks. I KNOW from experience I cannot do weights 4 days a week. My schedule won't permit it. Even in the summer. SO I will try to figure out how to modify it.

I am getting excited by the prospect.

I am even going to bed earlier than I have for a long time. I am hitting the witching hour -- so night all. :sleepy:

2. xingcat

xingcat Well-Known Member

New routines are always exciting! Good luck with it! :D

3. Happy Monster

Happy Monster Well-Known Member

:wave:

4. Carole

Carole Well-Known Member

Hi Justitia.........glad you're feeling good to go..........From my experience
    intervals do help accomplish a weight loss quick. I dropped several pounds
    'tute sweet' this past spring with interval work ; they also have the added advantage of making odious cardio (odious for me at least) pass quickly. Of course you know the most important thing for us women is to lift and lift consistently and as heavy as possible.

Now as for sixty..........don't worry about the numbers they're sort of
    like weight numbers on scales. In truth maturity is a wonderful thing and the numbers reflect nothing, beyond a certain point it's more about
    upkeep, attitude and the gene pool!! :nod: Enjoy...............:tu:

5. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Hi Justitia. I hit the big 55 in a few months and you have been an inspiration on getting older but keeping healthy. Makes the though of 60 not seem so daunting.

And Carole, you look fantastic!

6. Carole

Carole Well-Known Member

:)Thanks carguy………….by the way, I really like your Whitney Young quote I’d never read or heard it before………very true it is too!!

7. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

So 2! more teeth lost :-(

So you want to know where I've been? Aside from work -- I had two more back teeth lost...

Seems they were the cause of the chronic sinus infection I've been suffering from since last December.

I feel so much better in just 2 days.

Also -- there still was stuff from school. But even that is mostly over.

I am in Houston, fixing up a friend's computer -- I can't work-out anyway until I get back because the gums where the teeth were need to heal. At least they don't show -- even with my broad smile. But in 6 months I will be getting implants for those.

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Geez Justitia, it never seems to end. I'm glad that you feel so much better after such a short time and aside from the implants here's hoping that you won't need to see a medical professional for a long time.

The semester must be just about over, right? Do you have a lot of work to do over the summer?

9. Happy Monster

It never seems to end indeed.. I really hope that's the last medical issue for a long time! :nod:

Take care of yourself.. :dreamy:

10. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

You look great in your new avatar ---Happy! I am glad you are using a photo of yourself....:nod:

Sorry I have been gone so long... I miss everyone very much. Just have been too wiped out and playing hooky from everything.

I haven't been able to catch up on the format on JSF -- so I haven't done any "friends" or anything like that. But as soon as I get a chance I will.

So this is one of my usual long catch-up posts... :rolleyes:

My two pulled teeth are healing well.. the rest of my teeth are in fine shape. I will get implants for the two pulled teeth but not for a few months.

Everything else is fine other than emotional and some physical exhaustion. I am going to Israel in 19 days to teach in our summer program. :spaz: I am looking forward to it but I am freaked about everything I have to do.

I started back on my physical fitness program but it went to sh*t in the last several days. I am trying today to get back on track.

I have one surgery on my foot to remove a bone spur from the side of my big toe (aftermath of being a dancer growing up.) This was the first of the medical roller coaster 2 years ago and was planned for after my classes 2 years ago last month. But when everything else hit -- that was not urgent so it got shoved to the end of th list that kept getting longer.

It hurts now a fair bit when I wear heels for several hours or I don't take off my workout shoes right away. But I am not going to do it until I get some real rest and physical recovery. The doctor says I will be incapacitated for about 2 weeks -- my guess is that is an underestimate and I souled anticipate being out a month. So I plan to do it when I have my massive grading at the end of the fall semester, right after Thanksgiving.

So that is my new goal. I haven't gotten on the plan yet by Olesya Novik from T-nation (or the female forum MWA -- Muscles With Attitutde (well I just discovered they are no calling it the FIgure Athlete)-- whatever its name it is a great forum). 20 x 12 & Fat Inferno Cardio Program. It is designed for someone coming back from a long layoff. It is 12 weeks. I have 10 weeks until school starts in the fall. (I had hoped to start 2 weeks ago.) The last 4 weeks are tough because you workout 4 days a week and that is very tough for me to do once school starts -- it is tough anyway -- but I think I can swing it for 2 weeks in late August.

I can't believe how long the list is of things I have to do. :no: :bang:

(I miss DoorDude -- why did he do that to himself? You could just tell by his tone he was "lookin' for a fight." What was going on for him? I tried to chat with him but he just wasn't "there." :nope::( I didn't read what he posted but it must have been pretty provocative if John had to ban him... I know John wouldn't have done it unless DD just went so way beyond the limits, more than even John could stretch them..... DD :nono:)

11. Happy Monster

Hey Girl!

Have a big HUG!! :)

R x

12. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Hey, Justitia! Welcome back :)!

I saw you posting over at MWA (or Figure Athlete, whatever). I don't post but lurk a little bit. I don't use Biotest and feel that I wouldn't be welcome over there. Besides, I feel very much at home at JSF. But I do agree that many of their articles are good, especially Jen Heath's and Olesya Novik's.

I'll be rooting for you to achieve your goals! :tu:

13. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well, gone again... but hi! everyone! I am doing my best... I think I am just exhausted from the last couple of years. And I leave for Israel this Wednesday :spaz:

I am keeping up with my cardio -- my food is up and down -- and I still have not made it to the gym for weights. I just don't know what is going on there. What the resistance is? (no pun intended) It has been 8 months since my last weight workout and 3 months since it has been OK for me to go back.

But all I can do for the moment is say Hi! and I miss everyone. :cry:

And J_W -- I know how you feel --- I did find se7en a good product but I did not use Biotests' BCAA's -- it has sugars in it -- which defeats the purpose of fasted cardio. I got some from Scifit which is pure but I went overboard and got the economy size (1000g) instead of the smallest size (300g). My guess is that the powder will be past its sell-by date before I am finished -- I only use a teaspoon before cardio.

How was your date, Happy? I'll have to check your thread to see if you wrote about it.

I will post again when I am in Israel. They are supposed to have a state-of-the-art gym on the Haifa University campus.

Be in good health, everyone -- and train strong... :)

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi Justitia. How long are you going to be in Israel?

Don't be a stranger!

15. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I'll be in Israel until August 4th.... PGC is going to join me in mid-July.

I am pretty psyched... but I am more psyched about the letter I just got from my dean about my raise for this year. Merit money was limited -- he used a point system on one's accomplishments for the year to divvy it up. He gave me the maximum number of points possible, including a bonus point, given that I did not finish an article this year. It is not a lot of money --- together with a minuscule COLA (cost of living allowance) -- it amounts to a 5.5% raise but it is more the action than the amount.

I feel truly appreciated and it is the first time in a long time in my professional life that I have.

I just hit too much, when I was younger, the sexist resentment of the professional men of the generations senior to me. In recent years, the previous dean was outright racist, sexist and an overall petty bully. And unfortunately it occurred when I reached the pinnacle of my professional arc -- the period when the awards and honors that I was going to achieve in my career were bestowed. The previous Dean systematically ignored them (as he did to other colleagues -- I was not singled out -- though I was probably treated worse than most -- except for another female colleague -- another gender, rascist example.) SO that just continued the feeling of lack of appreciation I have felt overall in the course most of my professional life.

But here is a Dean who values what I do -- he has made a concerted effort to wipe out the sexism that was endemic to this school -- gender issues, as far as I can tell, are gone. And I am free to move unfettered to do whatever is in my imagination to do. Things just couldn't be more satisfying right now.

I wonder if my inability to get back on track with my physical fitness and my general pulling back in terms of work in the last 6 weeks since school let out was because I felt so embarrassed that I did not finish a piece of scholarship. It has been 2 1/2 years since my last major publication -- exactly when my stream of medical issues began --- A solid article every 2 years is considered being a quite solid productive scholar in my field (note that the majority of faculty usually publish just enough to get tenure and then perhaps promoted to full professor-- that is usually about 4 major articles in total -- out of a 20-30 year career. Just to give a bench mark.) And I don't have a piece to show for those 2 years.

I tend to feel that all that matters is what is wrong not what is right.

But I did get acknowledged for what I did do -- I had nearly as a high a number of points that anyone could have gotten, regardless of whatthey did. So instead of being punished for what I did not do -- I was rewarded for what I did do... and that feels great. :nod:

BTW Seltzer -- I like your 50th birthday avatar... you youngster, you... :)

16. xingcat

xingcat Well-Known Member

Congrats on your raise/bonus! That's fantastic! :tu:

Have a great time in Israel. I've never been, but friends who are from there/visited there have told me how beautiful it can be.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congratulations on the raise. 5.5% is nothing to sneeze at and, as you wrote, the recognition is even more gratifying. I'm glad to read that you're feeling so positive about your professional environment.

Thanks for the comment about the cake. My kids baked it for me for my birthday last month.

18. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

Oh, Justita - thank you for this!!
    I was just going back through your fit women over age 45 thread and had just commented about how it (and you!) are very inspiring for me... I guess I could have directed this comment here instead of just sticking it in my journoblog--

So, to redress--- THANK YOU! :claphigh:

19. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

Enjoy Israel, Justitia. and I am so glad that your are finally being appreciated and truly recompensed in that work place :tu:

20. Speedlimit

Speedlimit Active Member

amen Justitia. We live in a older established neighborhood and have a lot of elderly neighbors. I have one neighbor who taught Judo until at the age of 90 his inner ear started acting up and affecting his balance. Another passed away in his sleep 2 weeks before his 90th birthday and he did all of his own yard work and played 118 holes of golf each week right up to the week he passed. Another retired form his job, ignored his doctor and died from diabetes complications within 8 years of his retirement.

I let myself get old from 46 to 54, I went from 175 lbs to 215. One day I looked in the mirror and saw Alfred Hitchcock staring back at me and I said "like hell". I started a diet that week and by teh end of the next I had joined a local health club and began working out. Now I have made lifestyle changes as far as my diet and routine and a teh time spent at the gym is as much a part of my daily routine as showering and brushing my teeth. I am currently 181 lbs and less than 20% BF.

once again you nailed it. I find that what I lack in endurance and a bit of wear and tear on the joints I more than make up for in attitude and perseverance. It really is a choice for most of us, we can either choose to grow old and fat and live out the rest of our days in front of a TV and in the hospital for weight related diseases or a live an active and healthy lifestyle for the next 20 or 30 years.

Oh and I hope you have a great time in Haifa. I was able to visit Israel many times during my Navy career. If you have been there before I know you are looking forward to returning and if this is your first time you should find it an amazing visit. I was in awe simply because it is such a historical area and I had wanted to visit there since I was kid in Sunday school. I found the land has a strange beauty of it's own and the people both are both friendly and an inspiration in courage.

#60 Speedlimit, Jun 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2008