1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

So I am 60! --- Now What?

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Justitia, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well, I though the mile-marker deserved a new thread.

Once again I am trying to get back into my transformation.

Right now -- the herniated disc seems to have healed, the sinus infection is about 70-90% gone depending on the day. I think as it has gone past the 12 week mark -- it is officially chronic rather than acute.

My ENT (Ears, Nose & Throat) doc seems to think it is in part being inflamed by the implant teeth I had done which go right up into the sinus cavity. He seemed a little surprised. But he may not be that familiar with this. And I was suffering from a lot of bone loss in my upper jaw. The doc said my cheeks were filled with fluid.

Though my workload is not lightening -- I have just made a decision to get back to a more normal life. I don't like going for weeks without working out, eating healthy, timed eating, etc. It is so easy for me to go the day without food because my stomach is in knots. I have just decided to let go and stay relaxed about everything.

I probably will get more done that way.

So today Sunday is a preliminary start. I woke up late (10:30) and did not get down to cardio until 3:00 but I did 30 minutes so I feel very good about that. My intent is to keep the rest of the day clean, drink plenty of water, go shop for my food for the week and prepare it tonight.

I will need to weigh myself and take measurements again. But that will have to wait until next week. Same with the photos. We'll see how it goes.

Anyway -- toodles all... :D

2. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Toodles! :D

3. xingcat

xingcat Well-Known Member

Toodles! And happy beginning of your 7th decade on the planet! :tu:

4. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well... when you put it that way :p It makes me feel soooo old!

I need some guys to whistle at me.... :D

(Why, some did just the other night.... :tucool:)

5. bmacntmac

bmacntmac Well-Known Member

:whistle::whistle::drool:

60 is just a number. With your perseverance you'll be inspiring us by starting a new thread at 80!

6. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    :whistle:

:D

Did you get your food and prep it? :spaz:

Way to go on your recommit to fitness and good nutrition. I always seem to realize the importance of it after I've let it slide in favor of work and other obligations. :lol:

Get all hawt for the JSF cruise, baby! :madpimp:

7. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Is this only a thread for all of your male admirers? :cry:

Be passionate in everything you do, including your leisure time, and you will have a life well lived. :)

8. xingcat

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

I didn't mean it in the "you're so old!" way, I meant congrats on accomplishing 60 years on the planet! I think that's to be celebrated. :D

9. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

Justitia, Let's believe the worst of your health problems are far behind you and this is going to be an ace year for fitness and health;)

10. Butterflyer

Butterflyer Well-Known Member

:jumping: New journal for Justitia, hooray!:cool:

11. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

Glad to see you back! I was actually wondering last week how you were doing...60 is the new 30...and you look it! :tucool:

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi Justitia. I'm looking forward to following along in your new journal.

And since you asked:whistle: :whistle:

13. Happy Monster

Happy Monster Well-Known Member

Bah! Enough with the self-pity, you are twice as attractive as women half your age.

Don't forget that. :nono:

14. archie

archie Active Member

^ What he said! :) You should write a book and sell all your youthful 'secrets' to the world and make a mint!

15. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Hi Justitia! :wave:

16. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well...despite good intentions,,, work still took its toll. The academic year is almost over. Soon my load will lighten a bit.

But I must say, for the first time in my life: I am tired!!!

So some good news. It is Wednesday and I have already done cardio 3 times this week. I cannot believe how more energized I feel.

I ate healthily for 3 out of the last 4 days (the one day I also did not do cardio -- I ate terribly -- time, work, no time.)

I am actually feeling some soreness in my legs from doing cardio... I never have before -- all I do is walk at about 4 mph on inclined treadmill. (Though today, I did the elliptical.).

The soreness just from cardio tells me 2 things -- 1. how truly sedentary I became this year and 2. I am starting to get back into the workout mode...:claphigh:

Now some GREAT news... There has been some deadly bug that is just whipping through my school, laying people out for a week at a time. And I DIDN'T get it. I had a student in my office at the beginning of this epidemic -- who also has been suffering from a sinus infection as long as I have. She was as sick as a dog -- she could barely talk-- like most people she was loosing her voice. She could barely keep herself up she was so woozy -- I was amazed she even came in for our appointment. She coughed and sneezed right across the desk from me. In the past 2 years -- that is all it would have taken to lay me out for days. But I DIDN'T get sick!

I actually think I did catch the bug because for a day or two, just before it swept through the school, it felt like my sinus infection was coming back -- but it also felt like I was just getting sick. I took Airborne (which despite all the controversy -- really works.) I was using my steroidal nasal spray. I was at the very tale end of my one step down from the most potent antibiotic -- and somehow -- I just shrugged it off!!

That's the way I used to be. I can't believe that my health might actually be back.

And my class tonight. It was the most energized class I taught in months. Students who normally are struggling to keep their eyes awake (yes I am embarrassed to say -- I actually had students struggling to stay awake) tonight -- they were so engaged, everyone was -- the class was super-energized.

Anyway. I need to make it through tax day and then through my annual review the following week -- and then the stress is finished. I will still have my normal workload but the overkill will be lifted.

17. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

Hi Justitia! :whistle:

Do you use the elliptical for cardio often? FWIW My wife and I run regularly for our cardio. However, I noticed recently when I began using the elliptical again that I was sore from it the first few times. My chiropractor suggested that it is more typical to be sore after the elliptical than other forms of cardio since your legs are basically locked into one repeated motion for an extended period of time.

Glad to hear that your workload and life will be slowing down a bit!

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi Justitia. It's great to read that you're feeling so good and that you didn't succumb to that illness. You've had more than your share of medical issues the past couple of years so it must be really nice to catch a break.

19. xingcat

Same thing happens to me when I use the stairmaster (the one with stairs, not with pedals). I think it's just about using different muscle groups.

20. Happy Monster

Happy Monster Well-Known Member

Do you know how much I envy you? :blank: