1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

so how do i take creatine

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by mattback, Nov 18, 2007.

1. mattback

mattback Active Member

so... i'm new to the stuff.

tips?

suggestions?

mix ideas?

pre workout?

post workout?

loading?

halp.

ive made some excellent gains without ever taking it, but in my quest to break 405 on deadlift i think a little creatine may help me get more work done in the weight room that will allow me to get the strength where ineed it to be . and yes. i'm eating like a pig too.

2. Gorilla

Gorilla Active Member

5 grams a day, post workout with a simple carb source. Some folks use dextrose, others table sugar or waxy maize starch. If you do 5 grams a day, you should be fully saturated in about 28-30 days (if its creatine mono). If it is creatine mono, than some suggest a loading phase of 10-15 grams a day in split doses, which should saturate you in 5-10 days. I wouldn't load personally, since you are asking for major bloat and the sh*ts and it won't make much of a difference IMO. Don't mix the creatine in anything hot, since heat will destroy it. Avoid the blender.

#2 Gorilla, Nov 18, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  3. KT Monahan

KT Monahan Active Member

What happens if you avoid the loading phase and just take the 5 grams a day from the get go?

4. Gorilla

Gorilla Active Member

Sorry, I just noticed my previous post was a bit mis worded. It will take 28-30 days to fully saturate your muscle if you skip loading and just do 5 grams a day (roughly a teaspoon). If you were to load, than you would be doing something along the lines of 10-15 grams a day, in split doses and therefore you should be fully saturated within 5-10 days I think loading is a waste, and just something supplement companies claim you need to do just so that you use more product. When I first started using creatine, I tried loading, and all I got in return was bad gas and the runs. I imagine alot of that extra creatine was just going down the toilet. If you are patient, you will save on the money and suffering and reap the benefits just the same as anyone else. I also cycle my creatine. 2 months on, 1 month off. You will read forums and articles where folks say it is not necessary. My personal opinion is, if you are introducing a substance into your body that your body naturally produces, than its always a good idea to take a break so that you don't down regulate the natural production. Besides, doesn't hurt to take a break from downing powders once in a while.

#4 Gorilla, Nov 18, 2007
  5. cyclone

cyclone Active Member

Who says? What does the blender do to it? It generally doesn't dissolve in cold liquids, at all, in my experience. I put it in hot tea.

6. squatguy20

squatguy20 Active Member

I have heard that it is ruined in hot liquids. Don't know if it's true though.

I can't see how a blender would harm it IMO.

7. cyclone

cyclone Active Member

I'm finding lots of stuff on line that directly contradicts what you said about heat and the blender. In fact, multiple sources say that the most effective way to take it is dissolved in a hot liquid. Also, that undissolved creatine can cause stomach upset. I have never experienced that with creatine dissolved in a hot liquid. I sometimes dissolve it in a couple ounces of hot water then pour it into a glass of icewater or crystal light.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=creatine+and+hot+liquids&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

8. Gorilla

Gorilla Active Member

Im not really here to open an arguement about that, just offering an opinon on how I use it. Its what I have heard and read and it made sense to me, but as with anything supplement related, there will always be two sides to the coin. There is a difference between hot liquid and warm. I am sure a warm glass of milk will be fine, but push up the heat too much and I am pretty confident you will destroy the creatine. Google "does heat destroy creatine" and you will see a bunch of opinions that it does. The blender is the same deal, some feel it creates heat when you blend, so I dont bother. What you choose to believe and do is up to you :nod:

9. cyclone

cyclone Active Member

Of course it is up to me how I use it. I won't even ask how my blender could get hot enough to destroy creatine without melting the ice in it:) From what I can find, creatine degrades at 303 deg C, or 571 deg f. I'm pretty sure I'd be putting out a fire in my kitchen if my blender could do that.

#9 cyclone, Nov 18, 2007
  10. Gorilla

Gorilla Active Member

Yeah, I agree, the blender thing is probably a bit much, but thats just something I heard when I first started using creatine many moons ago. I just got into the habit of stirring it into my shake and downing it. I do caution however, that you do not premix a shake with creatine to drink later on, as the longer the creatine stays in liquid, the quicker it will dissolve into creatinine. This was also one of the concerns of mixing creatine in liquid that was too hot, as the heat increases the breakdown of the creatine. I think at the end of the day though, the basics on how to use creatine, which was the original question, we can all agree on. :tucool:

11. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

I don't bother with "loading" or "stacking" Creatine.

Everything I've read says that it isn't necessary. Just take the 5 grams a day.

I don't bother 'cycling" it. Everything I've read says that continued use will not harm you.

On the other hand I've never taken more than 5 grams a day.

Sometimes I'll skip it on weekends.

12. mattback

mattback Active Member

so..

hot / cold ?

grape juice / water / milk ?

with protein powder / without protein powder ?

how about with powdered gatorade ? (dextrose , sodium, potassium)

thanks a bunch guys, but honewtly this post kind of confused me a little.

13. DieselB

DieselB Active Member

I just purchased some creatine myself. I thought I'd try out the Cell-Tech. I've heard great things about it and abviously it has its detractors. I figured I'd try it out for myself though. It has plenty of dextrose in it already. My only concern is the morning serving. I was planning on loading but now am thinking maybe I shouldnt?? It says to load for 5 days. My question was if I should take it immediately upon waking. I normally eat breakfast early in the morning and was unsure if eating food right on top of the creatine would cause a delay in absorption

14. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

I mix mine at work. I use the hot water spicket on the side of the coffee maker to get the mix going. The hot water makes it mix nicely and I don't get wasted "grit" on the bottom of the cup when I'm done.

15. Gorilla

Gorilla Active Member

No offense, but cell tech is a rip off. You are paying for a load of sugar. Next time just buy a tub of pure creatine and mix it with some dextrose or grape juice. Matt, like anything supplement related, you are going to get different answers from different folks. The basics to keep in mind are that creatine works best with a simple carb. You can use dextrose, maltodextrose a combination of the two, wazy maize starch, grape juice or regular sugar. In the end, they will all work! Some folks just like different forms because of the way they work with the body. But when it comes to transporting the creatine to the muscle, they will all do the job! The hot and cold debate is up to you which argument you want to believe. Yes, creatine does not mix well in cold liquids, however, I still stand my opinion that liquid that is too hot is not a good idea, warm ok, hot no. Post workout is best, especially if you mix it with a simple carb, since your body is more responsive after a hard workout. You can take the creatine straight up or in your shake. Up to you! As to loading, how much money do you have? If you can afford to load, go ahead and see how you feel. Im broke, so I don't load. Not to mention, it wreaks havoc on my stomach. Same goes for cycling. Everyone has an opinion, but I think it makes logical sense to give the body a break from supplements every now and then...End of the day, you will have to play around a bit and see what works for you.

16. chris0374

chris0374 Active Member

Go with cold, just to be safe.

Take with your heaviest carb meal (preferably first thing in the morning) on non workout days. I wouldn't sweat it about having to take with with grape juice, gatorade powder or what not. Just take it with water.

On workout days, have it with PWO shake.

This is how most people take it (I think). I don't think anyone knows how to take creatine exactly to get the most out of it. That'll be impossible because everyone is different. But then most people probably take creatine this way because it works well. So why not take it this way?

If you want to load, go ahead, but in the end, the results will be the same, whether you choose to load or not. There was a study (I can't remember the exact study) examining creatine loading vs. not loading in 30day period time. The result was that loading increased your strength more noticeably in the beginning but in the end of the 30days, the strength increases in loading and non loading group were the same.

17. Gorilla

Gorilla Active Member

What I forgot to mention and what Chris's post reminded me of, is that you do not have to use products such as dextrose and waxy maize starch. Some folks, myself included, believe that if you are going to put something in your body, make sure it has some nutritional value. So in the place of those, you could in theory grind up some oats or throw in a banana. As long as it is some form of simple carb. I think the reasoning behind using some of the other products is just how quickly they spike insulin to carry the creatine into the muscle compared to other foods.

18. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Waxy Maize works on a different mechanism than dex/malto. It doesn't necessarily spike insulin (almost no sugar in WM) but due to its high molecular weight and low osmolarity (osmotic pressure) WM bypasses the harsh digestion process and pushes creatines, and other amino's, across the intestinal wall for rapid assimilation into the cells for whatever purposes the said supplements are noted for. I believe "insulin spike" is marginal, at best, with WM.

A great alternative is to mix your creatine with 20-40 gr. WM and sip during training.

And I do agree with Gorilla regarding oatmeal in the PWO shake. If I have a PWO shake (which is very seldom) I'll have some ground oatmeal in there. :nod:

19. Gorilla

Gorilla Active Member

I couldn't have said it better Mastover, thank you! :tucool: I'm just curious, is the reason you skip a post workout shake because you are sipping one during the workout? I gave up on them in favour of whole foods, but was wondering if there was another reason for opting not to have a shake PWO.

20. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

After training, I've gotten much better results over the years by taking in various free form amino acids immediately post workout. What I take, and in what amounts, depends entirely upon what I'm trying to accomplish at the given moment. The only time I'll ever have a PWO shake is when I am preparing for a bodybuilding show, where the shake counts as one of my meals. This shake will consist primarily of whey hydrolysate fractions with 20-30 grams of additional bcaa's.

But by and large, its going to boil down to the day to day nutrition, if maximum results from your training is the goal. IMHO :)