1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

So disappointed...

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by pixie, Dec 16, 2004.

1. pixie

pixie Well-Known Member

So you know how you find something unexpectedly, then get all excited about it, then it sucks?

Well...yesterday I stopped in Trader Joe's which I love, but was in a hurry. I usually slowly browse, and scope out new stuff; however, since I was in a rush I went through pretty quickly to get my usual stuff and keep an eye out for anything that popped out at me. Well, when I was in the frozen food aisle picking up frozen tilapia fillets I spotted frozen buffalo burgers. I was so excited for I love buffalo, but living now on the east coast have a much harder time getting ahold of it (except at Fudrucker's where it is served on their lethally-good bakery-fresh white rolls). So thinking, hey something new to switch up my diet, I threw them in my cart...without inspecting the box (yeah, I know- mistake).

Well, this evening I got home and was thinking "Yea! Steamed broccoli and buffalo for dinner!" I took the box out of the freezer and heated up the 'ol foreman grill and looked at the nutrition information - a whopping 12g of fat (5.5g saturated fat)! Which I thought was suspect for buffalo, since it is generally quite lean. Looking at the ingredients, I discovered that the it also contains some flavorings/additives (smoked/grill flavoring, spices, etc). I cooked the two I had already removed from their vacuum sealed packs, out of curousity. Their was quite a bit of fat in the fat catcher when they were done and they had that distinct fake grill smell- yuck- which my kitchen now smells of.
    So sad, what a waste
    :d_frown:

Oh well, moral of this story: caveat emptor...

2. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Caveat emptor indeed! I just love saying that, it makes me feel cool. :)

Anyway that sucks, sorry about your experience. Man if they taste good I'd have eaten 2 of them anyway!!

3. SwoleCat

SwoleCat Well-Known Member

What's wrong w/some fat in a meal consisting of protein/fat/green veggies??

I do that daily. :cool:

Gets me shredded to all hell too.

~SC~

4. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Me too, actually my fat intake isn't exacly low. I don't go eating BK and really high saturated fats all the time but you know what I mean.

SC: I don't restrict the heck out of fat because I generally feel bad when I do, I look bad after doing it for a while, and because of the massive amount of studies I've read about low fat equaling low test levels in men. Is this a usual concern for women? I didn't bring up my personal preference for moderate fat intake because she's a woman, and I was not sure if it applied to her. Just curious if it makes a difference, men vs. women, with fat intake.

5. pixie

pixie Well-Known Member

That wasn't the true bad part of the situation, the only bad part in regards to the fat content was that half of it was saturated fat and the fact that good buffalo meat is usually much leaner, which made me suspect that there were other ingredients such as oils and additives- which there were- to give it that fake grill flavor of which I remarked. The ingredients list was in very small print right after the long description on the box about the burgers and to try the brands other 'flavor' variations. Which I didn't take notice of prior to purchase.
    Oh, and taste test resulted in the bite being immediately launched from my mouth into the garbage, and followed up by some profane remarks.

Good buffalo meat is good on it's own, grilled up with perhaps some minced onion and garlic and topped with mushrooms.
    Mmmm...buffalo...
    I was more dismayed that I thought I had found some readily available buffalo in these parts, but, alas- no...just processed and flavored.
    I should have realized when they already had grill marks right out of the box.

I instead made some almond encrusted tilapia for dinner. A good blend of protein and fat to accompany my green veggies.
    :tu: