1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Snowboarding season is coming up :D

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by Newday, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Newday

Newday Well-Known Member

It's started to get chilly out, now I just have to wait for snow before I hit the slopes. Anyone else snowboard here?

2. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

This will be my tenth season I think.

3. rubberbandman

rubberbandman Well-Known Member

It'll be my 8th season or so. Had to take last season off to have surgery though. I was actually thinking about hitting up Killington next week (they will be open!).

4. MikeE

MikeE Well-Known Member

Well I ski but the bug is definitely biting me hard! Here in the Buffalo area we've been getting some light snow the last couple days. Can't wait for the teasing to stop and some serious snow to hit!

This area is pretty lame for skiing, just a few dinky little "resorts" but I'll take whatever I can get. Will definitely be taking some weekend trips to Vermont this season. I have a slopeside condo booked at Smuggler's Notch for the first week of January. Anyone been to Smuggler's Notch before? It will be my first time.

5. slush_puppy

slush_puppy Well-Known Member

Been snowboarding since 1987. My friends and I would go up to Stratton Mountain in VT because that was the only place that would let you take them out on the trails. I had a Burton Elite 150... man was that thing loud and clunky! No one was friendly to the snowboarders back then. I haven't done much in the last 8-9 years or so living in NC, but would love to get back out and try some of the latest gear this winter.

6. AMR

AMR Well-Known Member

I started snowboarding in 1992. I guess that makes me the old man of the mountain.

What would be some great snowboard conditioning exercises?
    Here are my thoughts.

1. body weight squats. You literally do hundreds of body weight squats just making turns in one day on the mountain.
    2. Burpees. Burpess will give you explosive power in your legs, strengthen your core and give you a little upper body conditioning.
    3. Lunges for leg strength.
    4. Rowing machine. The rowing machine offers up great muscular endurance in a full body cardio workout.

What do you guys think?

edit: I guess Slush-Puppy has got me on the old man of the mountain title but it sounds like I've got more consecutive seasons.

7. Fourteener

Fourteener Well-Known Member

I have snowboarded for years. I live in Aspen and have a full mountain ski pass to Ajax (Aspen), Highlands, Buttermilk, and Snowmass. Buttermilk opened up to skibiking a few years ago and I have only had my snowboard on about 5 times since...hehe

I put Line skiboards on my Foes mountainbike. 6" of rear coil travel and 6" of Rock Shox Boxxer front travel. Then I put motorcycle type footpegs where the bottom bracket used to be. I do laps of the Crazy Train snow park at Buttermilk and finish each lap with a run down the X-Games half-pipe. This type of skibike is going to explode in popularity in the near future.

This year I am going to go big! I have become accomplished at the big park doubles throwing in a trick now and then, and I know I will get some big hangtime in the pipe this year.

People go absolutely CRAZY!

This is the kit I use. The movies show some good stuff.

www.winterxbike.com

8. AMR

AMR Well-Known Member

Damn dude, I lived in Aspen for a year when I first moved to Colorado. That was 10 years ago. One of the best years of my life.

Do me a favor, go to Cooper Street Pier and have a beer for me. Then head over Su Casa and have some margaritas. Then go grab a beer at Erics. Then get some popcorn at the popcorn wagon for the cold walk home.

Then on a FAT POWDER DAY this year go rip up the hanging valley wall over at Snowmass.

If all of those places are still there that is. :)