1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

SMC - Sober May Challenge (2008)

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by Ecrivain, May 1, 2008.

1. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

This challenge, should you choose to accept it, will require dedication, vigilance, and strength of character. It will prove your willpower. It will test your resolve every single day.

The rule of the challenge is simple: Do not consume alcohol during the month of May.

You may check in daily, weekly, or sporadically. You are certainly welcome to share your struggles and successes. The support of like-minded individuals is key to succeeding in this type of challenge.

Will you join me for 31 days of sobriety?

2. Butterflyer

Butterflyer Well-Known Member

:scared:
    I'll do it! I'll join the Sober May Challenge!:spaz:

3. LateStart

LateStart Well-Known Member

:nono:

I'll join for 30 days, though. I'm reserving May 10th for a little 50th birthday celebration.

[​IMG]

4. Ecrivain

Glad to have you both here! We're just getting started and we're already facing our first weekend. I'm sure that we'll make it through just fine, though.

5. Andrew M

Andrew M Well-Known Member

I'll not be joining this one. April was a great success: I had a glass of wine whilst out for dinner with my wife [our only nice night out for ages, bloody kids] and was clean for the other 29 days. I proved a point to myself, and the lack of alcohol calories was excellent for my weight-loss. This month I'll be having very little, but not none, so will just have to join up for challenges to come.

Andrew.

6. Butterflyer

No drinks in May so far!:tu:

I almost didn't join this month, because I don't think I'll make it the whole month. But then, I didn't think I would make it last month.:confused:

7. Ecrivain

:claphigh: :claphigh: :claphigh:

You're stronger than you think you are! :nod: It's amazing what you can accomplish when you really push yourself, isn't it? You're doing a great job.

Another day without a drink. Another day closer to the goal.

8. Butterflyer

Thanks!:D
    I'm still surprised I've made it this far. I'm pretty happy about it!

There will be no drinking tonight!

9. Ecrivain

I stared down a bottle yesterday. I looked at it, thinking about what it might be like to let loose a little bit. It almost seemed like a good idea. But it wouldn't have brought me any closer to my goals. Whatever pleasure it provided would have been temporary. Achieving my goals will feel better for much longer.

Another weekend is upon us. Stay strong! :flex:

10. Butterflyer

:claphigh::tu:

The other day I tried some alcohol free wine, because I know someone who drinks that when there are big family celebrations, and I wondered what it must be like. I wasn't crazy about the flavor, so I had to put seltzer and ice cubes in it. It ended up pretty much like my grape juice and seltzer combo, and grape juice is easier to get.:lol:

11. Ecrivain

As soon as I read "alcohol free wine" I thought "isn't that just grape juice?" :lol: It's sounds better than alcohol free beer, at least. Have you tried some of the sparkling grape juices?

I think I'd rather just go without than make do with an alcohol-free version of beer or wine. That'd be too much of a tease. I have noticed I drink a lot more diet soda on the weekends now. I think I'm compensating. ;)

12. AzDesertRhino

AzDesertRhino Active Member

I didn't join this challenge but am still dry at this point.:tucool:

13. LateStart

Had my planned birthday cheat on Saturday, which was a glass or two (OK, several :o) of Cabernet Sauvignon with a dinner of filet mignon, green beans and mushroom risotto. It was awesome! :drool:

Now, though, back on the fitness trail. Saturday was my only alcohol indulgence since February 5th and I have no more planned for this month.

14. Ecrivain

Happy birthday and welcome back! :D

It was a dry weekend for me. It will be a dry week, as well.

15. Butterflyer

I've never seen that sparkling grape juice! Nice!! I'm going to look for those around here. It's probably kind of like the grape juice with seltzer too.:nod: I got that idea from when I used to drink Orangina and go "hey, it's just like orange juice and seltzer!" I gotta get a new seltzer-making bottle. I miss making my own.

Tasty beverages are always something I struggle with.:doh: I quit the iced tea several years ago. I was *very* addicted to Arizona iced tea. I keep substituting things, I've noticed. :p

:tu:
    Happy birthday, by the way!

Still not drinking. I wanted to yesterday when we went out for Japanese food, but I didn't!

16. LateStart

Thanks. It was the BIG FIVE-OH! :lol:

On another thread-related topic, a followup on something I mentioned once or twice in the March and April challenges: dumping alcohol, with no other dietary or exercise changes, has resulted in a fairly steady weight loss, most of which appears to be fat loss. :claphigh:

When I went "on the wagon" February 5th, I weighed 196 lbs (~20% bf). After the initial progress during my "transformation" begun in 2005 (I started at 209 lbs -- 27% bf), I have plateaued at or near 196 lbs for the last couple of years. I have been lifting 3-4 times a week and my food intake has consistently been at or below maintenance but the booze calories always kept me from making any further progress. I used to joke that "if I quit drinking, I bet I'll drop 20 lbs."

Flash forward to this morning -- 13 weeks later -- I weighed 181 lbs at around 14% bodyfat. Down 15!!! :spaz: Now, I am really fascinated to see where the next plateau will be. The least I have weighed since my teenage years was 173 lbs in college (1978). I have a good bit more LBM now, so my guess is that without further changes in diet/exercise, the weight will level off pretty soon. We shall see .... :confused:

17. Butterflyer

Hooray for 50!!!

Wow, those are some great results you've had!:jumping:

I'm still sober here.:nod:

18. Ecrivain

This was definitely my most difficult weekend yet. I spent it at the house of an old college / drinking buddy. This is the guy that first introduced me to good beer. He was having a party, complete with backyard grilling, for his son's 4th birthday. There was beer. It would've gone soooo well with the burger and bratwurst. He made several offers, but I kept declining, mentioning that I'm training for a half-marathon.

After the party was over and people left, he opened the liquor cabinet. Inside was a bounty of rum, vodka, liqueurs, and a massive bottle of bourbon. :cry: "No, thank you," I said, while containing my doubts and desires. Part of me really wanted to just kick back, get sloshed, and relive the good times we used to have. Instead, he had a few drinks himself, though having a sober buddy was an obvious buzzkill, and we played Mario Kart Wii.

I really wanted to drink. But I needed to stay sober. Sometimes, having to make those types of decisions can suck.

19. PlainGreyT

PlainGreyT Active Member

You should be proud of your fortitude :nod:

Resisting when temptation is all around is no easy task

20. Butterflyer

:spaz: Wow, great job!:bow:

I'm still sober, though I occasionally have wished I was not in the past week.