1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

SMC - Sober March Challenge! (Or, So Many Choices!)

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by cnjlakes, Feb 26, 2008.

1. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    You know what that makes you? That makes you the man. :cool:

Absolutely badassed. :madpimp:

Last night got very difficult for me due to an unexpected change in plans. I went from having a fun event to attend sans-alcohol to having a friend around who'd driven an hour and a half and wanted to watch the NCAA games and drink. We went to two of my favorite hot-spots in Arlington. I stood around with an unsweetened iced-tea while he sipped Guinness and Spaten. He was disappointed that I wasn't up for making a carousing night of it and had that encouraging yet resentful vibe every time he took a swallow.

We called it a night at 10:30 and he rolled out a great deal more sober than he would've been had I been drinking, too. I was pretty pissed-off on the way home. I felt tired and lonely and not-much-fun. The temptation to grab a pack of High Life from the CVS on the drive back was high.

I didn't. I sucked it up and came home to drink water and do some writing. After about a half an hour I stopped feeling bad and, all of a sudden, had a dawning appreciation of the victory I'd just won. It felt as good as setting a PR on a lift or fitting into a smaller waist size. That small, difficult decision kept my promise to myself and I'm pretty fucking proud of it.

Knowing that this challenge was here and that I'd have to report any slip was what kept my hands straight-ahead on the steering wheel while driving home. Thanks for the help! ;)

I didn't drink yesterday. I am not going to drink today. :tu:

2. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

I'm with M@ on this one. You are the man. Nicely done.

Hey, look at that. M@'s a bit of a mack-daddy-pimp-stud-boy himself. :madpimp: That's good stuff.

To be fair, I know when I was drinking, being around a non-drinker was a big buzzkill. That's kind of a crappy situation to be in, on either side. I don't know what would make it better.

I've been trying to think of ways to socialize with former drinking buddies that don't revolve around alcohol. I'm not having much luck. I'd like to spend time with these friends, but I'm not going to compromise my fitness goals, and I'd rather avoid uncomfortable situations like the one you described.

3. AzDesertRhino

AzDesertRhino Active Member

Been a hell of a week on this end.

I took a week off from work to finish some pending projects around the house.

Installed new A/C system west side of the house.

Completed some underground electrical circuits for 230v power for my welder on the carport.

Finishing up my flagstone patio etc etc.

"White Coated" my roof. (Something you have to do to a flat roof when you live 2 feet from hell)

Been working dawn to dusk for about 8 or 9 days now. Each day was a serious struggle to keep from going and picking up some beers after the "JOB DAY" was over.

Posts here saved my ASS a couple of times this week.

M@ posting about his situation last night gave me strong enough resolve to hang tough today!:tucool:

Did not trip up and drink. Stayed sober and had a normal dinner with my wife.

So instead of waking up in the morning feeling like crap I'll be able to get up and do my normal work out.

I won't have to post up here how I slipped up and have to start over again.

I'll be able to work on a couple of little projects that need completion and get my self ready to return to work on Monday.

Thanks everyone!!

#83 AzDesertRhino, Mar 30, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  4. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    :o

Still only 12 days sober, but I'll take the compliment. :cool:

Yeah. My last long-term girlfriend didn't drink and I remember shooting annoyed glances at her when she wanted to leave whatever bar/restaurant we'd just eaten at.

I think the dynamic is only bad when it's 1:1 -- i.e. you're out with just one buddy and only one of you is drinking. When I've been sober around groups they've managed to entertain one another and not mind that I was along for an unclouded atmosphere.

:tucool:

I need to figure out how to link up that part of my brain that wants a reward for hard effort with the part that feels awesome for waking up sober the next day. I've conditioned myself to reward with alcohol and denying that "Miller Time!" urge really feels like I'm giving something up. Twelve hours later, though, I'm really happy I stayed committed.

Delay of gratification. Powerful tool. Gotta keep working on it.

My buddy in MD was sans-children this weekend, so he invited everyone over for movies, food, drink, Rock Band, and general hilarity. They were on a mission to get crushed. One dude poured so much Jim Beam into a pilsner glass that there wasn't enough room left for a full can of ginger ale mixer. It looked like he was drinking a lager but it was really about the equivalent of 10-12 shots of whiskey.

These are the folks I used to party with on a regular basis. They all have kids now and I haven't seen them lose it to booze for a couple years. It seemed like they were trying to make up for lost time last night.

Around 10:30 we ran out of ice. There was general bitching about how nobody was sober enough to go to the store. When I said I hadn't had a drink all night there was general astonishment. I'd been sipping O'Douls and folks just thought I'd been pounding beers like I normally do. I went out for a bag and became the hero of the party. :lol:

It was an awesome night. No drink. No temptation. Plenty of friends. Lots of fun. Now a clearheaded Sunday. :dance:

I didn't drink yesterday. I am not going to drink today. :tu:

5. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

Went to the pub this afternoon with an old friend who's been out the country for a while. Was the perfect opportunity for a beer. However, I resisted and had fat coke as it was just after my weekly cheat meal. She had a beer and didn't even give me the usual "why aren't you drinking?" crap. It's my birthday in a month. I honestly don't even think I'll be drinking for that. That will be something that hasn't happened in maybe 16 years.

#85 woodan, Mar 30, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  6. AzDesertRhino

I've done that for years! The way I've been working this past week there would have been several cases of beer consumed.

I really had to work through this thought process during the past week. I felt I was working my ass off with "NO REWARD". I got aggravated a few times because I wasn't getting my due REWARD.

A little complaining, some great help from the committed folks in this challenge and some serious introspection helped keep me from slipping up.

7. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    You should get yourself a sobriety gift for your birthday: Something to mark the occasion that you'll keep for a long, long time. Maybe a nice watch? Maybe something that ties in with fitness? :spaz:

Totally! :nod:

I need to change my definition of "reward". I've always had beers to relax but feeling good and being clearheaded on Saturday and Sunday morning was ten times more relaxing than any binge...it just took getting through the previous evening. There's gotta be a way to link the sensations. :confused:

One clear benefit: I balanced my checkbook this morning to find that I'd spent $55.83 this weekend. That's about a third of what I'm normally entering in on a Monday morning. Verrah nice. :cool:

Didn't drink yesterday. I am not going to drink today. :tu:

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ecrivain, M@, Woodan, and Az, thanks for sharing your experiences. I made it through in fine shape in large part due to thinking of the commitment that people here have been making and succeeding at. I've done it before and I'll do it again; I just have to get over the hump and modify some ingrained behavioral patterns and the past three days were a big step toward that. My experience yesterday at my twin nephews' christening party really wasn't too bad, but I will admit there were some urges. I kept my resolve, however, and all I reached for was water, except for when I was getting a drink or beer for someone else.

The reward was driving home feeling good about myself for sticking to my promise and I was rewarded again by waking up this morning absolutely clear headed and with an sense of accomplishment from getting past another weekend fraught with challenges. M@, I don't know of a better way to link the sensations other than concentrating on the fact that me not having a drink will have a direct associaiton to how I feel about myself the following morning. Even if it's only one, which it never is. When put in such a direct cause and effect relationship the lure of that first drink diminishes greatly.

Social situations are toughies and while the big parties, such as the one I was at yesterday I find relatively easy to navigate, it's the smaller setting ones that present the greatest potential for trouble for me. Sometimes I just avoid the situation, which is what I did Saturday night. While my house guests were still in NYC a buddy of mine called and asked if I would go out for drinks with him. I really didn't want to put myself in that type of position so I just declined and used the excuse that I had my cousins staying with me for the weekend and let him infer that I was spending Saturday night with them at home. The fact that they weren't at my house and wouldn't be for a few hours was somehow omitted. :) Staying away from social situations is not a long term solution, but it served its purpose as a short term strategy.

Good luck to all today!

9. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Did it (at least the part I signed on for). Congratulations, folks! :spaz:

10. AzDesertRhino

A clean sober month behind me. I appreciate everyone posting their successes, slips and challenges. They helped me through the month in a very big way.

See everyone over at SAC!!:tucool:

11. LateStart

LateStart Well-Known Member

Ditto. The last few posts of this thread have really helped remind me that NOT being hung over, dehydrated, fat and poor beats the $h!t out of any enjoyment I get from a buzz! :nod:

On to April >>>>>>>>>>>>> :spaz:

12. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

Went to the pub last night again. My mate had 3 pints of lager and so did I. I can't believe that I lasted almost the entire month without a drink and then failed at the final hurdle. Only kidding, APRIL FOOLS! He had 3 pints while I opted for 3 diet cokes. He seemed to be having a great time by the end of the evening which in turn rubbed off on me. A good night was had by all.

On to SAC now I guess.