1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

SMC - Sober March Challenge! (Or, So Many Choices!)

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by cnjlakes, Feb 26, 2008.

1. AzDesertRhino

AzDesertRhino Active Member

The past couple of days have been a bit of a challenge for me. I've been doing serious work around the house and could suck down some cold frosties at the end of the day BUT I've stayed clean and feel good about myself doing it.

I'm sure this will be a challenge I face for the rest of my life. When you drink like I did for many many years, it is an amazing feat to go "DRY"!!:tucool:

2. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    :nod: I envy the folks with the good sense to have never picked up a drink in their lives.

That said -- the second best time is now. Made it through last night with no problem whatsoever.

I bought a bottle of Pinot Noir to take over to my friend's house this afternoon. They invited me over for Easter dinner and love their wine. I picked up a couple bottles of sparkling cider and a six-pack of Coke, too. Not drinking won't be an issue.

I'm not going to drink today.

3. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Yesterday was tough for me. I had accomplished a goal that I have been working towards for the past three months and wanted to celebrate. I did,but with pizza and Coke Zero. Good for me.

Good for everyone here actually. I'm with M@ in wishing I had never tasted alcohol or felt its effects. Unfortunately, alcoholism is rampant in my family, so I should have had the sense to steer clear in the first place. Oh well. I can only work with what I have now.

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats to the three of you and everyone else that stayed the course.

I'm happy to write that I had nothing to drink at Easter and now that I've gotten two days under my belt I sure am not going to break that string tonight. :nope:

As I suspected yesterday really wasn't too difficult although there was plenty of responsible imbibing going on around me. I stuck to my seltzer and the issue of alcohol never came up during any conversation I engaged in. Had it I would have told the truth. What made the situation even easier was that I was the driver and we had a sixty five mile drive back home.

5. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    DD's a good card to pull in those situations. :nod:

Didn't drink yesterday. I'm not going to drink today. :tu:

6. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

A week at the beach. No alcohol entered this body. :flex:

I'm starting to think of the transition from "I'm not drinking right now" to "I don't drink." After almost three months, it seems realistic. I'm just not sure it's desired. The health benefits are obvious. But then I think about things like my buddy calling me and saying, "Let's go hang out, have a few beers." If I told him I'm not drinking, I'm sure he'd understand, as good friends will. I don't know if I'm ready to give up the entire experience completely, though.

I guess I'm pondering these things because of the prospect of a Sober April Challenge. I'm not sure I'll participate.

I do know that I'll finish March sober. :nod: We're doing great. Thanks for all of the support. This challenge has amazing power.

7. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Pimp. :madpimp:

I hear that, but I'm really looking forward to being where you're at now. It's all just a bunch of individual days linked up in a row.

8. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:

9. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm not participating in the challenge, but I am following it and cheering you all on. Especially you M@! Don't let me down!

10. AzDesertRhino

Excellent M@ and everyone else trying to give their liver a break. :tu: (I can't remember who initially wrote that but I like it!)

All those individual days linked together make a huge difference.

Some days I don't even think about drinking anymore. Some days I have to to make my mind control my physical urge to drink.

I can't say I'll never sit down and have some beers again. I can say I'll never drink like I used to, every day or every other day.

In the past, I was either recovering from drinking too much or planning on picking up some beers or whatever for the night after work. Sometimes I would be severely wounded the next day. I always felt like crap!

Never again!:nono:

11. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Cheers to that! :tucool:

12. LateStart

LateStart Well-Known Member

I agree with every bit of that. :nod:

I'm on Day 44 and would hate to blow it now. Drinking crosses my mind less and less, as time goes by, and I am REALLY loving not having any hangover effects. :tu:

On a side note, the elimination of alcohol (all other things remaining the same) has continued to pay dividends on the fitness front. My weight has now dropped by 10-1/2 lbs and it appears that virtually 100% of what I have lost is fat. :dance:

13. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Well, I slipped up last night. It was pretty much a planned slip, though. A buddy with one year old twins and a 4 year old (he is stay at home dad) got a hallpass, so we went out. Ended up at a 'pub' style place. Had fish n chips and a few pints of Bass. I'm disappointed, but I'm the one who made the decsion so I just need to live with it, improve and move on.

Anyone up for a dry April? My company is sponsoring a 12 week 'Biggest Loser' contest. The winner losing highest bodyweight percentage gets a $300 gas card. Not drinking would give me a definate edge! As will the rolls of quarters taped to my body at the initial weigh in. ;)

14. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    :dance: Sweeeeeeet :cool:

Yup. I'm in. :nod:

15. AzDesertRhino

I'll hang for a S.A.C!!

Someone post it up or the new guy will have to start it!!:lol:

16. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Done. :cool:

I don't have the same trepidation towards this Friday night as I did last week. I actually wound up having a hell of a good weekend and got a lot of fun personal projects done. I've got a list of enjoyable activities prepped for tonight, tomorrow, and Sunday to keep me engaged and happy. Got a good feeling about this. :D

I'm also a hell of a lot leaner today than I was last Friday...and way beyond where I was two weeks ago. Fucking awesome.

17. NCNBilly

NCNBilly Well-Known Member

cnjlakes - What Would Hunter Do?

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Confession: I had a drink last night. :(

19. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Yesterday's gone, brotha. Don't drink today. :tu:

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    M@, I didn't! Nothing while preparing for my dinner party, nothing during it, and nothing after it!

I will say that I was tempted a few times, but I thought back to the people here who are so supportive and making great personal efforts and it was enough to keep me reaching for my glass of seltzer.

Nothing today either!