1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

SMC - Sober March Challenge! (Or, So Many Choices!)

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by cnjlakes, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

I ordered 50 cases of beer today.

I won't be drinking a bit of it. :D

I've noticed this happen, too. For instance, when I was out at a comedy club, someone eventually noticed that I wasn't drinking. It became the topic of conversation for a couple of minutes, which was a little uncomfortable. But then everyone else just went back to drinking and having fun. So, it seems that if you can suffer through a few questions, it is in fact possible to go out without drinking. :nod:

For me, it's easier to say I'm not drinking at all than to just have one or two. So far I've been telling people, "I'm giving my liver a little break." That works pretty well.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats to all particpants who have been doing as they promised. I, sadly have not been as diligent, but will endeavor to be more focused. Reading the successful updates in the thread has raised my motivation once again to join the party.

3. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

This weekend marks the halfway point! I hope everyone is still doing well.

It's also the start of my biggest personal challenge. Tomorrow morning I leave for a week-long family vacation at the beach. It's almost as if the forces of alcohol have aligned for this one: 1) St. Patrick's Day Weekend, 2) Beach Trip, 3) Surrounded by Family (many of whom drink). I really want to prove to myself that I can handle this.

4. AzDesertRhino

AzDesertRhino Active Member

Still hanging tough here in Tucson.

Worked my butt off at the house today and sure could have sucked down some cold frosty ones BUT stayed away from the temptation.

Been 4 months without alcohol as of today.:tucool:

5. LateStart

LateStart Well-Known Member

6 weeks without alcohol as of today! :tu:

Yesterday, I had a something of a revelation. I realized that for the first time since I stopped drinking, I had gone through an entire weekend without once thinking about having a beer or a glass of wine! Frankly, I am amazed.

To understand the significance of this, consider the fact that for years I've been the kind of guy who thought a good meal was wasted without a nice bottle of wine to accompany it. I rarely, if ever, went through a trip to the grocery store without stocking up on beer. I routinely consumed 3-4 beers and a couple glasses of wine every night during the week, more on weekends! This has been my modus operandi for 20 or more years. Never drunk, really, but always drinking. Initially, I set out to give up alcohol for Lent (6-1/2 weeks). My 9-year old son bet me $1000 I wouldn't make it. :o

It is fair to say that I was pretty certain stopping drinking would be a dramatic lifestyle change and would significantly affect my enjoyment of certain aspects of life. However, with the passage of time, I find that I am enjoying life more than ever. Not drinking has:
    • Saved me money (I was spending $40+ per week on beer/wine)
    • Helped me lose fat (have dropped 9 lbs in 6 weeks w/no other changes to exercise/nutrition)
    • Improved the quality of my sleep
    • Improved my hydration (substituting water for beer at night)
    • Improved my overall productivity (alcohol made me lazy)
    Now, I find myself at something of a crossroads. I honestly don't think I want to drink at all, anymore. I am as surprised as I can possibly be at this outcome. Time will tell but I think I may have inadvertantly become a teetotaller. :lol:

Doubt I'll ever collect that 1000 bucks from my son, though. :D

#45 LateStart, Mar 18, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  6. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

I like this. Give them hope that you are still one of them deep down.

7. AzDesertRhino

LateStart, awesome progress. It's been a little over 4 months for me!! I think my body is still adjusting!!

Keep up the good work and congrats to all who are cleaning up or "Giving their liver a break!!" :tucool:

8. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Late to the challenge, but committed.

I'm going to be sober. I've told friends and family that I'm going to give it up for an indefinite period, asking for their help/understanding while secretly hoping that I find the fortitude to never have a drink again.

That's too much pressure to take on at the moment so I'm going to stop drinking for the rest of March with the intention of joining the SAC and keeping the streak alive.

Gonna drop a post here every day reaffirming my adherence and commitment.

Sorry to jump in halfway through again. The reality is that this is a big problem for me and I need to effect change now instead of waiting 'til the end of the month. :o

Sero sed serio.

9. AzDesertRhino

M@,

Let me be first to welcome you to the challenge and to wish you much success.

I gave up alcohol on 11-15-07 after being a consistent drinker for most of my life.

I didn't drink to be sociable, I drank for effect. 1 was too many, 10 was not enough.

You can make it through the urges to drink and, if you wish, stop completely.

Best wishes for your success.:tu:

10. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

Aye, there no time like the present. Welcome aboard.

11. LateStart

LateStart Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard, M@! :claplow: I read in your journal that you had joined this challenge.

They say (whoever in the Hell "they" are) that it takes 3 weeks to make a new habit. By the end of the SMC, you'll be almost half way there. Stick it out through April and I'll bet you will be home free!

We're with you in spirit :nod: PM me any time if you need to commiserate. You can do this.

12. jerome

jerome Active Member

My commitment

I will join late as well if I can. Still recovering from a bad decision two nights ago. I have been cutting down on drinking a lot over the past year to the point where I have more than 3 beers once a month. Fortunately my body is reacting worse and worse as I maintain a healthier lifestyle and It really does not like it when I go overboard. I am going to make a 60 day commitment then go from there. Good luck to everyone!

Day 2: Recovering from the absolute hell that yesterday at work was. Still not 100% but significantly better. Absolutely no desire to drink right now.. thats for sure.

13. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks! Glad to be here and glad that this challenge has been going so strong for so many months. I'd like to be one of the old-guard in it at some point.

Thanks! :)

:tu: I know it's going to be a huge asset in keeping my focus and determination. Thanks for the support!

I'd love to be able to bottle that sensation and uncork it on Friday nights after a few days of sobriety when I'm thinking about how great it would be to unwind with a couple beers. :lol:

Didn't drink yesterday. I am not going to drink today.

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi M@ and gcandy and welcome to the fun! Best of luck to both of you; posting and reading in this thread and thinking about my commitment has really helped me and I suspect you'll derive a similar benefit.

15. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Paul! Glad to have this resource available. :nod:

Didn't drink yesterday. I had the serious urge to last night for some inexplicable reason (despite my volume of consumption over the weekends, weeknight drinking is an infrequent, if not rare, occurrence).

I kind of got submarined last night, too: I made plans with friends for tonight and tomorrow and told them about my intention to stay alcohol-free. They were all very supportive and enthusiastic about the decision. Found out yesterday that both groups have, unexpectedly, had relatives decide to come visit for the Easter weekend.

I'm on my own. That's when I drink. Fuck. :bang:

It's going to be tough, but I'll make it.

I'm not going to drink today. :tu:

16. AzDesertRhino

Hang tough M@!!

I get the big urge at times. I come here when I do to get a little motivation.

I have to make my mind control my body.

Although no one here knows me from Adams Cat I would not want to have to explain why or how I stumbled.

Giving up drinking, for me, was harder than cigarettes. I don't want to fall back in to that routine.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hang in there M@. I certainly can empathize with you. I have a few tricks up my sleeve that have proved to be beneficial to me that I'll throw at you. The first has to do with my JSF moniker and frankly it's why I picked it. Just grabbing a seltzer if nothing else buys me time to have the urge hopefully dissipate. Another one is the spreadsheet I have to track my diet.

I don't think you do the same, but let me explain why this sometimes works for me and I keep it in my arsenal. There's a column entitled “Alcohol” and each day I put in my consumption. At first it's only one zero, but a week later it's eight and thinking about how I'm about to mess up that string, have to start over, and have the damn decision recorded and staring at me on a daily basis is often enough to get me through the evening. Some sort of feedback mechanism like just tracking your alcohol intake and recording it somewhere on a daily basis wouldn't take any time and would serve the same purpose for you.

And, as our thread member from the Tucson wrote, I also find that coming here to find some motivation helps. Even if I don't post, just reading other posts has a beneficial effect. Just as it does on more broad fitness issues.

I'm in an odd position at the moment because when I decided to join the MSC I stated that I was going to have some wine with dinner when I went out with my wife to celebrate our anniversary. The actual date is tomorrow, but since we have an all day Bar Mitzvah to attend we're going out to dinner tonight. Honestly, it won't be the first time that I've drank this month, so in that respect I've not lived up to my commitment, but I'm focused on not having anything to drink tomorrow at what will be a very fancy party or on Easter when we going to my sister in law's house for a large family gathering. Tough times ahead indeed and I'm going to have to call up all of my resolve to get through it. I really hope I can.

Sorry to turn the last paragraph on to me, but I wanted (needed) to get my concerns out. I wish you well as you, I and the rest of the participants here do our best to get through.

18. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    No need to set yourself up for failure. Take on the commitment you can handle and stick with it. Success will carve a groove in your brain that will make the next, more difficult challenge possible. Lather, rinse, repeat: The important part is to stick with this one. :tu:

:nod: JSF's good like that. :D

When I'm detoxing I usually go with sugared soft-drinks for the first week or two, then move to fruit juice for a week 'cause of the blood sugar destabilization. The soft drinks help at the start 'cause they've got the caffeine that mimics my alcohol euphoria.

After that, seltzer or tonic is great. :cool:

I get the same feeling seeing the "Alcohol" wedge on my pie-charts in FitDay. It's always in the back of my mind that I'll have that sense of disappointment when I see it. Unfortunately, I started responding to that sensation by not tracking the intake. :lol:

At least I wasn't hiding beer in my toilet-tank. :o

Good luck getting through your tough times. I'm with you in gnashed teeth and bracing for impact. :tucool:

19. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Made it through the evening. :dance:

I wound up throwing my guitar over my shoulder and pacing around the apartment, picking out a new song. It was 3:00 am before I knew it and when I finally sat down my eyelids started drooping.

Can I tell you how much I don't miss being hungover today? :D

I'm kind of looking forward to tonight. Last night actually turned out to be a lot of fun.

I'm not going to drink today. :tu:

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :tu: on making it through last night. I know how you feel about not missing being hungover today because I terribly missed being not hungover. Same four words that you wrote, just in a different order and that makes all the difference.

My one day caveat of having a couple of glasses of wine with my wife when we went out to dinner to celebrate our anniversary took an unexpected turn. The gory details are in my journal as well as the positivity of me making it through the Bar Mitzvah without any alcohol. I'm going to ride today's momentum to keep me from not drinking at tomorrow's large family Easter party.

Best wishes for good resolve to all!