1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

SMC - Sober March Challenge! (Or, So Many Choices!)

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by cnjlakes, Feb 26, 2008.

1. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Let's do this. 31 days. No drink. I totally tanked February (no pun intended), but have realized that, more than likely, much my funk, fog, SAD, whatever, is because my body doesn't want to drink but my mind (at least a part of it) is saying, go ahead... you're used to it... you know it will make you feel better.

Will it?

Hell no.:nono:

Will it?

HELL NO!:mad::nono::mad::nono:

So, that is what I am up to for the month of March. Clean livin' :tucool:

Who's with me?

2. euan

euan Active Member

I'm in! Sober since November last year, and hope to keep it that way!

3. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

A 19 yr old sober Scot? Are my eyes deceiving me?

Go on then, I'm in. I did think twice about this. I think I've had the same thoughts as some of the others guys. I've not drank for 2 months now and I didn't want the pressure of this thread looming over me if I fancied succumbing to a tipple. But that's a pathetic excuse. I told a friend the other day that I'm not drinking indefinitely at the moment. So I'll make myself accountable. I think I might even try April as well. My birthday is in May so maybe not then, we'll see.

I kind of want a clock or something that counts each day I haven't drunk. That way each day the number would get larger and I know how disappointed I'd be if I had to reset it back to zero.

4. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

I LOL'd. My exposure to Scottish culture (despite being half Scottish) has been limited to Trainspotting and Rab C. Nesbit. Neither of which lend themselves to painting a picture of sobriety in Scottish society.

I like the sign idea. Kind of like in factories over here in the states: "This facility has worked ___ days without a lost time accident!"

Only it would read:

"This bloke has lived ___ days without getting pissed!"

5. euan

euan Active Member

Compared to my town, Rab C Nesbitt is putting Scots in a good light :lol:

6. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

I would have been lost if weren't for the subtitles! I've never seen it in the states, only on BBC when we were on our honeymoon in 1995. That's right... no Jamaican honeymoon for us... Sausages, processed peas and trips to the chippy defined our post nuptial excursion! Oh yeah... and all them pints.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have to think about this one. I know that it would be beneficial to me as evidenced by my experience during October and January, but I am in a similar situation to October. That month had my wife's b'day and I planned on imbibing with her during dinner and this upcoming month has my anniversary and I plan on doing the same. So even as I'm contemplating what to do, I'm already planning to have one night with alcohol and have technically knocked myself out of the challenge.

I know that the added support, encouragement, and accountability that I would gain by joining the SMC would help me move towards getting healthier than if I was on my own. As I said before, I have to think about the commitment and all the consequences and I'll be back later with my decision.

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The decision on whether or not to join gave me something to think about while I was running aside from the fact that the wind chill was barely out of the single digits. I reached the conclusion that I would like to join the challenge with the caveat that on my anniversary I reserve the right to “cheat.”

I know this type of stipulation caused some initial controversy in October, but my recollection is that it was pretty much a non issue as the month progressed and it didn't hinder any other participants from reaching their goals nor me from reaching mine. Similarly, I don't think that my one night of non sobriety this time around will be a disruptive influence on anyone else who joins with the intention of being true for the entire month, but it's ultimately not for me to decide. I'll leave that up to those who have decided to participate. If everybody's fine then I'm in.

Either way, good luck to all.

9. LateStart

LateStart Well-Known Member

Count me in! :tu:

After drinking virtually every day for dang near 30 years, I gave up drinking for Lent and haven't had any alcohol since February 5th.

The results, so far? I have saved money, lost weight, slept better and generally improved my outlook on life. And the truth is, I haven't really missed it.

At this point, I am honestly questioning whether I ever want to drink again. :confused:

Since Lent ends before the month of March does, I am using this challenge as a way to help me determine my longterm approach to alcohol. I figure if I don't really want a drink when Easter rolls around, I have probably kicked it for good.

We shall see ....

:gl: to everyone!

10. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

As far as I am concerned, it's an individual endeavour with caveats as they pop up. Also, you get special dispensation ;)

Isn't it absolutely amazing how your quality of sleep improves? Blew me away. on that note....:sleepy::sleep:

11. LateStart

LateStart Well-Known Member

Yes, it sure is! And waking up well rested, without even the hint of a hangover, is nearly as addictive as alcohol. :lol:

#12 LateStart, Feb 29, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  12. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

I'm in. January and February were almost too easy, since I didn't have many pressures to drink. But I'm going on vacation in March. I like the idea of doing it sober. I'll get to remember this one.

I don't know that my life has vastly improved since I've been sober for two months. But I do know that I don't want to make it worse by being blitzed.

Let's do this.

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Seeing as there hasn't been any dissent to me joining with my caveat, I'm in. Jay, once again thank you for initiating this and best of luck to all of us. I start off with a bang as we're going out to dinner with some friends tomorrow night and on Sunday we're hosting a party.

Having a couple of challenges right off the bat is actually a positive; I'll be facing them while still coasting on the initial enthusiasm and by getting through the weekend I'll be able to look back with a positive attitude about getting past my first two hurdles.

Ecrivain, your decision to join despite going on vacation during the month is going to be a real motivator to help me get through the inevitable urge that will pop up at some point during the month.

Again, good luck to all. Let the games begin!

14. AzDesertRhino

AzDesertRhino Active Member

Glad someone put another one together!!

I'm in!!

I've had the urge to swill some beers all day long for some reason.

Haven't had an urge like this since November!

I must say the challenge really helped me through!:tucool:

15. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

Best of luck to everyone. I did the first Sober Challenge in October(I think:confused:). I still haven't decided when I'm going to start drinking again. I'll see if I can get to my birthday is August which will be 1 full year.

16. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

I'm here... without beer :tucool:

17. AzDesertRhino

AzDesertRhino Active Member

Went yesterday and bought some new equipment and some stuff to condense my office junk down so I can fit it in. Will take some pix when it is set up.

Anyhow, stayed sober for another weekend!! :tucool:

Best of luck all. You can do it if you want to!!

18. Echo

Echo Active Member

I would absolutely love to be in this challenge! After tinkering around with my diet for months I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong and why I've been slowly gaining weight... (About 2 pounds a week) Then I found over 7000 calories in alcohol a week...... :( yeah... I found drinking calories before were ruining my diet but I guess over the past few months they've creeped back up. I have summer to look forward to and I enjoy that more than having a drink at night..... Drank on Friday and will not drink again this month.... At least!

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Weekend numero uno is behind us and it was a successful one for me on many counts, including the SMC! Interestingly, I didn't have too much trouble while hosting our party yesterday, but my biggest urge came after everyone had left and we finished cleaning up. Now how foolish would that have been?

It wasn't too difficult to resist and now we're on to day three. Bring it on!