1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Slight DOMS, Does any one like them?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by CA$ON, Sep 20, 2007.

1. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

You also disagree with current scientific opinon:

The jury is pretty in on stretching. All the great stuff people expected to get from it, doesn't happen. Years of coaches advice favoring stretching is going to take a long time to undo, but people who can read and make up their own minds, should probably stop stretching.

2. dszil

dszil Well-Known Member

zen,

Actually...I do not. You again post a completely unrelated abstract but I did enjoy reading it like all the others. It's a shame you're too stubborn to be open to learning something you didn't previously know...but please don't use that stubbornness to prevent others from doing so.

3. CA$ON

CA$ON Well-Known Member

Either way I like getting different opinions from you and ZEN and who ever else might chime in. See the beautiful thing about public forums is that we do not have to agree on everything one might post.

Zen is trying to prove his point by listing scientific studies. Dszil you can do the same and then the people reading this thread can side with whoever they think. All of these posts are very interesting and I am glad people are willing to take the time to post. :tucool:

So with that being said keep on posting!

The reason why I wanted to know if its ok to stretch when having DOMS is if it was harmful? I am just thinking of how DOMS can cause the soreness in your body where it might be torn and rebuilding muscle. If you stretch this muscle while it is trying to rebuild ,will it ruin the healing process?

#63 CA$ON, Sep 22, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  4. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

You were answering this question:

And in direct response you suggest:

Now what "way to temporarily increase your range of motion in those muscles" do you expect he would have mind?

I think many people could reasonably interpret your advice as recommending stretching. If you were not, now would be a good time to clarify what less injurious "way to temporarily increase your range of motion in those muscles" you do have in mind.

#64 zenpharaohs, Sep 22, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  5. dszil

dszil Well-Known Member

I agree. Unfortunately...zen does not.

Unfortunately...zen is not trying to make his point...but rather refute mine. He's been trying to for weeks. However...if you read the abstract he indicated...it relates to whether or not stretching can reduce soreness. It has been known for some time that it cannot. So he is correct in this point and you should believe him on it. However...please read my post carefully (as of yet...he has been unable to). I am not saying that stretching can reduce soreness. Rather...I am saying that low intensity activity can (which zen agrees with). And that stretching can increase your Range of Motion temporarily (which zen agrees with). And thus...you can get the most out that low intensity activity by stretching first. That's it.

nope!

6. Blighty

Blighty Active Member

These people did a small study with 10 subjects into the role of post exercise massage, after eccentric exercise. The massage was done for 10 minutes 3 hours after exercise. The massaged arms were less painful than the unmassaged arms - according to the opinions of the exercise subjects. But there was no improvement in range of motion of the exercised arms and no improvement in after-exercise loss of strength. The unmassaged arms were slightly greater in circumferance than the massaged arms. They expect that this might be due to less oedema after massage.

They refer to other studies which used massage at differnt times and of different duration:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1250256

I will massage muscles that I can reach after my next exercise session. It's worth a try.

7. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

This is exactly the point which you do not get. Dunno why.

The point of the abstracts I have posted is that stretching and low intensity activity has no more effect on soreness than low intensity activity alone. So don't add stretching to the low intensity activity. It's not helpful and carries increased risk of injury.

8. dszil

dszil Well-Known Member

zen,
    I sure do hope that I don't get as obtuse as you as age sets in. Sure is sad though that you can't accept that you don't know everything. But hey...those who can...do...those who can't study...right?

CA$ON,
    for the record...since you didn't see the previous thread where zen tried to start this with me...the information I provided came from the experts at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. While zen was mis-interpreting outdated abstracts...I was having experts explain to me what I SHOULD do to endure a 30 day assault (at altitude) of my body at the most elite training facility in the country.

Some people come to forums to spread their knowledge to those who wouldn't have access to the sources directly...others come here to make themselves feel big. Zen appears to be in the latter category... as a simple search of threads he's posted in will show that EVERY other person to disagree with him recently has been met by similar pointless banter. I'd challenge him to show a post where he admitted someone else knew something he didn't...but that would be futile.

Nevertheless...feel free to make your own decisions...like you said...the benefit of a public forum is to get varied views. I can promise you though...from experience and teachings from EXPERTS as opposed to a guy who reads outdated publicly accessible info ...use low intensity activity with stretching beforehand and you will reduce the soreness. The stretching will not do it itself...but that low intensity activity with a better range of motion (brought on by the stretching) sure will!

Just here to help..regardless of how hard zen attempts to prevent me from doing so!

9. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

The most recent literaure that I've read says DOMS is cause by some type of Calcium crystals forming in the tissues after intense workout.

DOMS is Mother Nature's way of saying she doesn't want your muscles taking any more s**t before they're ready....:)

10. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Please keep the debate civil and refrain from personal attacks. Thank you.

11. CA$ON

CA$ON Well-Known Member

Dszil,

I understand that it might be frustrating to watch him post and disagree with you. But, you have to understand that it is helpful even though you might not think it is. Once again I think all information is worth posting.

Next time just ignore his post and move on, I am sure he will not change his ways.

12. CA$ON

CA$ON Well-Known Member

:lol: Mother nature always gets the best of us.

Calcium crystals / That is interesting I think I will research this.

13. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yeah I easily believe that calcium could be involved. I dunno about the crystal part. Obviously, it's not metallic calcium crystals. What calcium compound would be crystalizing? Dunno. These guys seem to be the origin of this idea:

Well if they're right then DOMS is probably only a bad thing.