1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Slight DOMS, Does any one like them?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by CA$ON, Sep 20, 2007.

1. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

In your example, if you didn't get DOMS in your bicep, it wouldn't necessarily mean you didn't properly stimulate the muscle. All it meant that you didn't get DOMS was just that....you didn't get DOMS. You still might be getting stronger/bigger but not having DOMS.

Hence the inaccuracy :)

2. dszil

dszil Well-Known Member

You may be right Manish as I am still a bit sensitive to the fact that zen essentially spent 2 days calling me a moron for pointing out something he was unaware of...with pages upon pages of unrelated "proof" to back up his assertion that I was wrong. It was a great welcome to the community. So maybe I did take his statement the wrong way...I simply was hoping he'd offer the guy something more valuable than a 1-liner given his love of case study.

3. CA$ON

CA$ON Well-Known Member

Hmm, Well I guess I learn something new everyday. How come I do not feel the other area as much?

4. CA$ON

CA$ON Well-Known Member

Please stick to the topic! :rolleyes:

5. dszil

dszil Well-Known Member

unfortunately, as zen alluded to...there is still a lot of confusion over what exactly causes DOMS so this one is a bit hard to answer. Just trust that anyone spending 50+ hours training is NOT experiencing DOMS daily from said activity...but still making gains (hopefully). So trusting that feeling them = good and not = bad is a tough way to go.

Edit:
    Sorry CASON...was just trying to explain why I said what I said!

6. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

hahahahaha :lol::lol::lol:LOL :lol:

Zen, I wasn't laughing at you pal :eek:
    Please don't assault me!!!!!!!!! :doh:

7. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :eek: Look out for a man with an inverted bosu strapped to each foot coming at you with an epee!

8. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

A: At the moment nobody can explain why people experience DOMS in every case because that is not known.

B: It is well understood that DOMS may or may not occur after effective workouts, which is why they are not a reliable indicator of workout effectiveness.

9. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Nobody knows yet.

10. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Being wrong and being a moron can be different things.

11. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Epee? Surely you jest.

12. squatguy20

squatguy20 Active Member

Its not a good indicator of progress.
    But it sure does feel damn good. :tucool:

Eating a big bowl of Tuna + Egg + Rice and feeling the DOMS while eating is an ace feeling.

13. dszil

dszil Well-Known Member

As indicated in my previous posts...I whole-heartedly agree with this statement but think both the OP and DashZ...as well as others...could benefit from some of those references you mentioned that back this statement up. If you provided them...someone may find some use...as opposed to just having to base their analysis on the unscientific knowledge many of us have already presented. I just figured...with your love of case studies...that you may be able to provide what I was not.

You're right...you were indeed wrong in thinking you had any proof against what I said...but you are certainly not a moron. We're not starting this again though so please just let it go.

If you could provide those references on DOMS occurrances though...I think they would be relevant.

14. CA$ON

CA$ON Well-Known Member

All of the answers above about DOMS (Thanks)

All in all it is a good feeling :tu:

Any of you guys train people for a living?

15. dszil

dszil Well-Known Member

Sadly CA$ON...I for one only did so briefly (on the Asst Coach level) but do not anymore. Left to become a programmer...I must have been drunk at the time...because the money alone sure isn't worth the lifestyle change! The only saving grace is that this job gives me FAR more time to tool around on the web...I have no idea what desk-jockies did pre-internet!!!:D

16. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

There's a fair number of people on this site that do. But in this thread I think mastover (natural pro bodybuilder who I think trains people on the side) is as close as it comes. Most of the people in this thread seem to be the current or former athletes.

17. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Just as an aside.....the other day I targeted my upper chest.

People say you cannot target your upper chest.

Well I did. for the next two days I had DOMS all along the top of my Pec muscles . But not in other parts of the Pec Muscles. So to all you people out there that say this can't be done because the Pec is all one muscle....:moon:

I think that any time you train a muscle to the Max (and I mean Max) where the muscle has gone to failure and beyond , you will likely get DOMS.

Some people say "'well I've been doin such and such an exercise for months now and I don't get DOMS anymore"

The first thing I wonder is....how hard are they pushing on that ex anymore?

18. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Right, but it's not necessarily a good indicator of how well you used it.

Correct.

That there is DOMS means that you worked the muscle. You can't make a judgment on how that muscle is going to respond to what you did based on the intensity of your soreness. As well, the absence of soreness does not indicate that you did not work a muscle or work it sufficiently.

As far as I last heard, the exact mechanism that causes DOMS has not been determined. The theory used to be that it was caused by lactic acid, but it's been decades since that's been debunked. (Interestingly enough, it's only in the past few years that the average gym-goer has finally gotten that message.) Right now, it's known that it occurs as a result of working a muscle, but you can't go further than that. There's no consensus that microtrauma is the cause.

Edit: Oops, missed that there was a second page.

#38 chicanerous, Sep 20, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  19. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Surely you joust? Oh wait fencing :confused:.

:lol:

20. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I haven't had DOMS after many of my personal bests either for weight or reps. I can't actually remember one where I did have DOMS.

I'd have to go back in the journal to actually see if I report DOMS after any particular big workout, but just going from memory DOMS usually only occurs to me if I have a cold or some other illness in the background. I think there are one or two cases where a super heavy set (I think I once did 4x15 Krispy Kremes) causes either muscle soreness or tendonitits but that wasn't delayed.

I think some people get DOMS a lot, others not so much. I hardly ever get it. I don't think DOMS means much either way.