1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Slight DOMS, Does any one like them?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by CA$ON, Sep 20, 2007.

1. CA$ON

CA$ON Well-Known Member

Weird post I know, but it seems that I kind of like having slight DOMS.

I like knowing where I hit the muscle. That way I know my work out was on key or off key.

Does anyone else feel this way?

2. Rise

Rise Active Member

i like it if i haven't worked out in a while. it lets me know that i've been a lazy bastard and its time to get to work. but after 6 straight months of working out i definitely enjoy NOT having DOMS though they wouldn't really bother me if i did have them. i'd probably just ignore them by this point.

3. dszil

dszil Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that DOMS doesn't actually do much to tell you whether your workout was on key or off...you can be dead on and still not experience any DOMS what-so-ever (especially once you've settled into a routine or are training extensively).

That being said...I join you in liking the feeling though...makes me feel alive! :D

4. DashZ

DashZ Active Member

I've had a trainer at my gym tell me that he's disappointed after a workout and he doesn't experience them.

Being relatively new to all this myself, I figured it's a good thing. If you exercise your muscle such that you cause the micro-tearing and fatigure that it cause a little soreness then next day, you performed a good workout, and your body will repair it bigger and stronger.

But I'd like to hear from the more senior members of this site. (senior being those that have weight lifted for quite a while, I'll fully listen to a 22 year old that's been exercising for 4 years and has made great progress even though he's over 10 years younger than I)

5. dszil

dszil Well-Known Member

Dash,

For the record, I'm only 4 years younger than you but did spend a good deal of my younger years training 40-60hrs per week. Obviously...only a small portion of those hours were in a weightroom...but you definitely can get DOMS from activities other than lifting! Anyway...assuming the above makes me qualified to explain...you can read on. Otherwise...please feel free to disregard as I will not be offended :D

DOMS is much more prevalent in muscle tissue that is not used to the abuse it just received. Once your body becomes accustomed to repeatedly being broken down in the same way and then built back up...the chances of even getting slight DOMS is reduced considerably as those same muscle tissues have been abused that exact same way many many times before and the body has adapted to the experience. This does not mean you didn't benefit from the experience...or that you didn't break yourself down...it just means your body has come to expect that abuse and has adapted by no longer feeling the need to send you those messages. It really takes throwing something different at the muscles (like John's recent switch to Olympic Style lifting) to thwart your body's adaptation at that point.

So early on...where you appear to be now...they definitely are a sign that you abused those muscles (in a good way)...but once you've settled into a routine or are training extensively (which admittantly is not common in lifting so that may be part of the discrepancy in my views vs your trainer's)...the lack of DOMS is not necessarily an indication of a lack of a good workout.

I'm sure others can come along with a more scientific explaination...it's not really my thing. But until they do or unless they don't...I hope this one based on my past experiences and teachings can help make the concept a bit clearer to you...assuming you decided to read on!:D!

6. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well soreness is not a reliable way to know that.

7. dszil

dszil Well-Known Member

Now zen...you were one of the ones I was assuming would come back with the more scientificly backed response ;)

8. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

It is, and I can give you the references. DOMS is not well understood. It is not clear that it comes from using previously untrained muscle. It seems to be more likely with eccentric than concentric contractions. Some trainers will set great store in that. But that's not that well established.

9. CA$ON

CA$ON Well-Known Member

Maybe I missed what I was trying to post. Since I am recently hitting weights again, I am experiencing slight dooms. Now I am sure I am getting them from not working out and by not having a good routine in check.

What I meant was I know I am hitting the right spots, when I feel the soreness the next day. I am sure that this will trickle away like the above post stated. But it is a good training tool in my book when you are starting back up or even if you are new to workouts.

Also look at John's front page, he was stating how he is getting DOMS where he thought there would not be. This is now a tool for him to understand what these new workouts are doing differently for him, than his normal routine.

Does this make sense?

10. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

This is an area where I differ with John. DOMS have been of little importance to me in my lifting in determining the effectiveness of workouts.

There are certain things that I can do to make myself sore that will have absolutely nothing to do with me getting stronger or adding muscle.

Of course, John lifts in a different style than I do as well. I think you are more likely to get sore if you are doing splits than full body or upper/lower work, because you probably are putting more reps on a muscle group in a workout (density), where as a full body plan relies on frequency to accomplish the same goal. So with a split you are more likely to wring more out of a muscle in one day vs actually giving it more volume in a full body plan, but spread out over the training week.

Plus, your body adapts to hitting things more often (IME) and when doing full body stuff, I just get to a point where I rarely get past mild muscle fatigue a day or two after a hard workout. Your work capacity increases so that you are able to recover.

Nutrition and hydration are also keys to heading off DOMS.

11. dszil

dszil Well-Known Member

Wow...you sure do get testy when people don't just take your 1-liners with blind faith. If those references explain why someone may eventually stop experiencing DOMS despite still getting an effective workout, I think they would be relevant to Dash's question and he may enjoy seeing them (as would I...if nothing more than to add some science behind what I already believe to be true).

I thought you'd agree with me on this and just figured you may be able to provide him with some more scientificly based information due to your propensity to follow case study more than I. Really was as simple as that. No need to get violent.

12. Rise

Rise Active Member

:confused: what part of that was violent, or even testy?

13. dszil

dszil Well-Known Member

If you saw a recent post where I made the mistake of not blindly agreeing with zen...then you'd know why I felt this portion was:
    God I hope I'm not going to set him off again in this one just by saying that I thought he might be able to provide some scientific studies to the guy! I really thought he could...rather than just throwing out the 1-liner.

14. CA$ON

CA$ON Well-Known Member

Now I am officially confused on your post. If I work out an area and it gets sore I am sure its because I used it? (Right or Wrong)

If I don't use a certain muscle then I am sure I will not experience any type of DOMS ?

I worked out biceps yesterday, now I feel them today being sore. I am sure I wouldn't feel my legs for being sore for working my biceps.

So why would I not gage this as a tool?

Maybe we should start with "What causes DOMS?"

15. CA$ON

CA$ON Well-Known Member

Thats what I thought it meant. It only makes sense to be sore when it is being torn and being worked?

16. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

If you get DOMS in an area, you did work it. However, that doesn't mean you've effectively stimulated it for strength or growth.

On the other hand, you might work a muscle and never feel soreness at all, yet be making very good progress in strength/muscle growth.

So as a tool, it's kind of an inaccurate one.

17. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I also agree I didn't see anything wrong with his post. I think you are looking for something that's not there.

Yeah, we disagree on occasion on this board, but it rarely gets personal like you might have gotten the impression.

18. CA$ON

CA$ON Well-Known Member

First off thank you for replying to my posts.

Now what I don't get is how you say it is an inaccurate tool?

You feel the area you were MAINLY stimulating? I understand that you will not have the same feeling in other areas, but I wasn't focusing on those areas on that day of my routine.

Example: If I am doing curls with a barbell, I am sure I will be working bicep and forearms. But I am sure I will feel DOMS more in my biceps than forearms if my form was correct.

19. dszil

dszil Well-Known Member

A much clearer way to make the point I was trying to make :D

20. dszil

dszil Well-Known Member

Nope...your form can be correct...and you can work that muscle perfectly to get gains...but end up feeling NO DOMS what-so-ever. Will you take that lack of DOMS to mean you DIDN'T work the muscle well? Assuming you would...there in lies the issue.