1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Slackin' 2 Smokin': Julz' Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Julz, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Julz

Julz Well-Known Member

So I figure it’s about time I started a journal. I’ve been wandering around the forum and posting for a while so what better place to do so, right? Plus I’m starting the Spring Break Challenge today so I need to be on top of my game and tracking my progress. I plan on using this forum as a means to keep my ass in gear and stay motivated.

A little background – I’ve been pretty athletic most of my life. I was an athlete in high school and stayed somewhat active in college. I’ve put on about 15-20 pounds in the last 8 months, I think mostly spurred by a move ½ way across the country and the subsequent adjusting. I fell out of my routine I had back home, along with my eating habits. It does not take long for your body to turn to mush when you start to neglect it, my friends! I absolutely REFUSE to let “nature take its course” and let my health and appearance go down the tubes.

My plan: I hired a trainer at my gym for 3 sessions and she’s helping me to develop a solid training routine. I plan to see her periodically after the initial 3 sessions to tweak things accordingly. Right now my work-out schedule looks like this - 5-6 days of cardio/wk with a 4-day split. Mon/Thur: Legs, Tues: back/chest, and Friday: bi’s, tri’s, and shoulders. I’ve been on this routine for about 3 weeks now. Since joining JSF, I’ve learned a lot about eating clean and have straightened up my diet significantly. I haven’t seen any weight/fat loss yet, but I’m still highly optimistic. I've been taking weekly pictures to track my progress. Of course, I won't be posting them till I feel as though it's acceptable to make fun of the "old fat body".

Stats as of today:
    5’ 8.5”
    155-160 lbs.
    25%BF (or somewhere close)

Measurements:
    R. thigh 24”
    L. thigh 23.5”
    Calves 15”
    Waist 31”
    Belly button 35”
    Hips 42”
    Arms 11.5”

I’m disappointed with myself and my downslide of the past 8 months, but I KNOW I can do this. I’m so glad to have found JSF and the positive & resourceful group within! And she's off......

2. xingcat

xingcat Well-Known Member

Ready...steady...GO JULES! :tucool:

Like you, I'm taking progress pics, but I'm waiting until I can shake my head at the fact that I looked like that.

3. Julz

Julz Well-Known Member

It will be a glorious day indeed.

BTW - I've seen alot of your posts and have wanted to comment on the avatar. That's by far the BEST pet costume I've ever seen! Who puts a taco on their cat? I love it!

4. xingcat

Ha! Somebody sent me that picture (my handle has been xingcat since around '95). I think it's perfect for me right now...I'm a skinny cat trapped by his choice of big, fat tacos. :D

5. Julz

Julz Well-Known Member

11/14/05

Today was a great day - health-wise that is. It was leg day, and unfortunately, I had to go to the gym right at 5pm (only time I could) when 348975483957843 other people are getting there after work. But, I got everything in, and followed up with 30 minutes on the elliptical. Wow, did I feel great when that was done.

workout
    Two 1-minute sets of pop-overs
    Hamstring curls 3 X 15
    Squats (free motion machine) 3 X 15
    Lunges 3 X 20 (each side)
    deadlifts (free motion) 3 X 20
    Calves 3 X 20
    30 min cardio

As for eating - every last morsel was clean today, but I'm thinking I didn't get enough. I didn't track my food today, I was just so busy at work and whatnot. here's what I ate:

1 C. kashi go lean w/ 1/2 C. soymilk
    banana
    Gr. Chx salad w/ ff french
    apple
    PWO w/ kashi granola bar
    1 c. raw broccoli w/ ff french
    steamed sweet potato
    3 baked Chx. breast tenderloins
    (might have a small snack b4 bed)

So, you want to hear about the highlight of my day? Well kids, I got to go to the office of social security to apply for a new card (I lost mine - I DO NOT recommend it). Ho-ly Hell. I thought the DMV was bad. This place was a nightmare. Of course there are about 100 people crammed into a 30 X 30 waiting area, most of whom appear to be from rather interesting walks of life. The place smelled SO bad - like hot, sweaty, unbathed 'dirtay folk'. So gross. For some reason after waiting in that waiting room for an hour I couldn't seem to shake the idea of marinating in hand sanitizer and eating a bottle of zinc for dinner. Anyhoo, moral of the story? Don't lose your soc. card. Peace out.

#5 Julz, Nov 14, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
  6. Julz

Julz Well-Known Member

Not sure what the deal is today but I just haven't been hungry....not to worry, I've eaten all my meals thus far. Got up at 4:30am for fasted cardio. No, I'm not nuts, (nor am I a morning person in any sense of the word) but I have to be in to work by 7am and I've got a 40 minute commute. Anyway, I did 35 minutes today - 20 on the elliptical and 15 on the bike. Some days I just don't have the patience and I get too bored if i don't switch it up. I hit the gym again after work for back and chest.

Workout
    push-ups 3 X 15
    Pull-ups 3 X 15
    Cable rows 3 X 20
    Flys 3 X 20
    Abs

Vittles
    1/2 C. oats
    1 C. egg beaters
    1 banana
    Chef salad (ham, mushroom, cucumber, broccoli) w/ ff french dressing
    1/4 C. cottage chz w/ natty PB
    Apple
    Turkey/Ham/Roast beef on whole wheat

I'm out of whey so my sandwhich served as my PWO. Gotta get on that.

I'm in such a foul mood today. I'm very frustrated on my journey to being "smokin'-worthy". I'm building muscle faster than I'm losing fat, effectively making me bigger. Well, my legs/butt anyway. It's so frustrating, yet scary at the same time to think that "maybe my body just won't surrender the fat, and I'll just turn into a big heathon." Grrr. I weighed myself at the gym yesterday. The scale said 160. NOT COOL. I must say that I do think it's out of calibration (2 other home scales inthe last month said around 154), but if it is right, I have effectively gained exactly 20 lbs since April. :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Next week I go home for Thanksgiving and see my family - none of whom I've seen for 5 months (since moving here)!!! So, I'm excited b/c I miss them so much, but at the same time not - for fear they're going to think I up and ate the state of NC.
    I just pray to see some results soon, or I think I'm going to go crazy. Till then I'll be cranking out 6 days of cardio each week!

7. Julz

Julz Well-Known Member

11/16/05

Ok, so I just got 95% through updating my journal for today when my stupid touchpad caught a shadow and erased the whole F&cking thing. Oh how laptops can piss me off!!!!

Anyway, so this will be abreviated. Today was cardio only - 40 minutes (20 on treadmill, 20 on bike). I was gonna get up at the butt crack of dawn (4:30am) to do fasted state, but decided a good nights sleep was more important. My sleep is def something I need to work on. If I go to bed right now and get up to do fasted cardio in the AM, I'll squeeze in 7 hours. So....I'm out! :sleep:

8. Sholezard

Sholezard Well-Known Member

When I was on SGX I used to get up at 4:30am, drive for over an hour, hit the gym for cardio, get to work, and then hit the gym again in the evening after work for weights. I managed to keep that up for about 2 or 3 months and then my body just couldn't take it anymore. Now I do weights and cardio together and I only spend 1.5 hours at the gym. Hopefully you won't experience what I did! You're doing great though - keep it up! :gl:

9. Julz

Julz Well-Known Member

11/16/05

Leg Day! a.k.a 'wobble-wobble/don't-fall-down-the-stairs-at-the-gym-when-you're-done' day. I didn't do pop-overs today, as I can only get the step and risers I need if there isn't a class going on in the group room. That's ok though, cuz I added weight to both deadlifts and lunges today (yay, me! :claphigh: ). I can tell my lower back is getting alot stronger from the deads, as I'm not tiring it out as much and I'm getting a better burn in my hamstrings. I didn't get up for fasted cardio (again) this morning....again, I felt sleep was a better choice. I really need to work on my sleep habits. Getting only 5-6 hours a night is going to get me nowhere. Anyway, I put the hurt on the elliptical for 30 minutes after my lift.

I was pretty good with my food today too. I did have a Subway wrap for lunch - but that was kind of out of necessity. There's a cafeteria at the client site that I usually eat at every day (salad bar...grilled chx. breast) but today they had a thanksgiving dinner and the salad bar wasn't even an option. I figure I'm going to eat like shit next Thursday so I'll just wait. But the cool thing I found out is that you can go to Subway's website and get all the nutrition info you need. And my lunch only came out to about 340 calories. Not bad for eating out.....

Workout
    Hamstring curls 3 X 15
    Squats (free motion machine) 3 X 17
    Lunges 3 X 20 (each side)
    deadlifts (free motion) 3 X 20
    Calves 3 X 20
    30 min elliptical

Food
    1 C. kashi go lean & 1/2 C. fiber one w/ 1/2 C. soymilk
    banana
    Subway turkey wrap w/ lays light chips
    1/2 C. cottage cheese (4%)
    apple
    1/2 oz. almonds/peanuts (I have to stop or I'd eat the whole canister)
    1 and 1/2 C. steamed green beans
    3 baked Chx. breast tenderloins
    jury is still out on my bedtime snack!

My spirits are up tonight - must've been the good workout. Hoping to ge my ass outta bed tomorrow for some fasted cardio! (3rd x's the charm, right? :p )

10. xingcat

Hey Julz,

Keeping up with your journal...good work so far!

Yeah, fast-food restaurants are good for one thing -- they have nutrition information online. Once in awhile, I go to Boston Market and get the carved turkey breast with some veggies, and it works out to just about the same macros as a regular meal.

11. Julz

Julz Well-Known Member

11/19/05

Holy cow, I can't believe it's Nov. 19. How time flies....

Meanwhile, back at the ranch - yesterday was a bust for fasted cardio again. Couldn't fall asleep Thursday night and ended up oversleeping yesterday morning. That's ok though cuz I made it up w/ 40 minutes on the elliptical yesterday afternoon. Yesterday was chest/back.

W/O
    push-ups 3 X 20
    Pull-ups 3 X 20
    Cable rows 3 X 20
    Flys 3 X 20

My food yesterday left much to be desired in terms being healthy and consistent. I had oatmeal pancakes for breakfast (which is good), but the diet kinda got derailed after that. I didn't eat my mid-AM snack or lunch (busyat work), so I had some cheese, yogurt, and an apple about an hour before working out. BUT - to my defense, I knew I was going out to dinner last night, so I guess I was kinda trying to "save" my calories for that. So dinner last night was Chicken Oscar at Jimmy V's (restaurant that's in honor of the late N.C. State men's basketball coach Jim Valvano) - grilled chx breast served on a bed of asparagus and lump crab. YUM. And a nice spinach salad with a warm bacon vinaigrette (sp?) and walnuts. And too much wine. way too much wine. Anyway, I'm off to the gym to punish the cardio equipment of my choosing. Happy Saturday, ya'll!!!:cool:

12. Sholezard

How do you make your oatmeal pancakes? There are so many healthy "versions" out there and I can never decide which one to test out!

13. Julz

Julz Well-Known Member

I just make the basic ones I found on here.

1/2 C. cottage cheese
    1/2 C. oats
    4 egg whites
    1 tsp. vanilla

I doctor mine up a little tho. I throw in a pinch of salt, a healthy dose of cinnamon, and splenda (maybe 2-3 tablespoons). I did try it w/ 1/4 c. cottage cheese and 1/4 c. applesauce once but I didn't think it tasted any different. Oh, and once in a while, I put in a dash of nutmeg. Guava says they're really good w/ pumpkin puree or banana (w/ pecans, YUM). I have yet to try that variation, however.

Anyway, oat pancakes are one of my fav b-fasts, and they've got alot of protein! :drool: Oh, and I use 4% Fat cottage cheese b/c I don't like the taste of ff or lowfat. Not sure how much of a difference that makes tho.

14. jpo

jpo Well-Known Member

I have to second this. Oat pancakes with a banana is heaven!..Banana really gives them nice fluffy texture and aroma. Yum, by far my favorite way to do them!

15. Julz

Julz Well-Known Member

11/19/05

Yep, I'm writing in my journal again today. I was gonna go out w/ the girls tonight but I've just been tired all day and don't feel like having drinks. Plus, I drank last night at dinner. So I decided to have a quiet "me" night in my cozy little townhouse - complete with cheat meal. I ran out and got sushi for dinner - YUM - and got some haagen daz light chocolate ice cream. The sushi isn't really bad, plus I didn't eat all the rice. But all that sodium from the soy sauce can wreak havoc on my system. Plus, tomorrow is weekly picture day and i'm really hoping to see some results compared to 2 weeks ago. I'd rather not ruin it by retaining water.

Today I did 40 minutes of cardio - 20 on elliptical, and 20 on recumbant bike. I didn't really go at it like gangbusters though b/c I felt sluggish. Probably from throwing my diet so bad yesterday and not eating consistently thru the day. Oh well. Tomorrow will be 15 straight days of cardio! The streak will inevitably end wednesday though - flying home for Thanksgiving - I'm so excited! I can't wait to see my family - I miss them soooo much!

16. Sholezard

I can't believe how much we have in common! There are some weekends where I also diss my girls and instead opt for a nice sushi meal (something I have to drive over 10 min to get) at home. I love "me" times too and everyone needs 'em once in a while. I don't consider sushi a "cheat" meal either but you're right, the sodium is the annoying part of it all. But sushi ain't sushi without the soy sauce right?

Good luck on the pics! Looking forward to hearing about all the progress you've made! :tu:

17. Julz

Julz Well-Known Member

11/20/05

Today was cardio only. And I only did 30 minutes on the recumbant bike to boot. I figure that's ok though, as I've done cardio every day for 2 weeks straight! I still worked up a good sweat.

I've been watching what I eat this weekend, but not documenting. It's such a chore, so I don't do it on the weekends. Yes, I know thats bad, but I do track them mentally.

I took pics today. I can definately tell my waist has gone down. I think. Its so hard to be objective when you're looking at your own pics. But my tape says my waist is an inch smaller too so that's good.

There's a pic of my dinner here :eat: :
    http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=22589

This week should be interesting in terms of working out. Monday and Tuesday should be good. But my flight leaves here at 6am Wednesday. :eek: I don't forsee a workout for Wednesday! I hear my old YMCA has day/week passes. I'll probably look into it for X-mas. Anyway, I'm starting to ramble. Over and out!

18. Julz

Julz Well-Known Member

11/21/2005

Leg Day. Ow. My hips have been really sore lately and I think I've figured out why. I think it's the deadlifts and squats. It doesn't feel like it's a joint pain - it's just like sore muscle pain. I've just never experienced it before a few weeks ago. Anyway, I followed up my lift with 45 minutes of cardio. Holy smokes - The people at my gym must think I'm the sweatiest female ever. It used to really embarrass me to the point that I'd cut the workout short, but I'm getting past it. But I don't know what my deal was tonight - my shirt was completely soaked thru both sides! Whatever...

Food
    Kashi + light soy milk
    babybel light chz wedge
    gr. chx salad w/ ff italian
    yogurt
    apple
    2 morningstar burgers
    2 C. steamed green beans
    ??? (more to come.....)

I'm starting to get confused on all these theories. Yes, I'm trying to build muscle for the purpose of burning more cals and slimming down. But everyone says you can't build muscle and cut at the same time. I don't think my body is stalling the muscle building process since I'm increasing weight all around. But I'm not getting any smaller either (or bigger really, for that matter). So I'm not sure what's going on. Am I supposed to add a bunch of calories in order to build mass like a bulk phase? Then follow w/ a cut? Ahhh! So much info.

To add to the confusion, I'm torn on what I should be doing as far as sets/reps. I'm doing what my trainer has told me to do - which is 3 sets at 15-20 reps for everything. But will this build muscle? Do I want to build muscle? And we're back to the revolving bulk/cut questions. Basically, I just don't want to be wasting my time in the gym. I'm around 25% BF (I think) - I think it's ok if I spare some!

19. Julz

Julz Well-Known Member

Turkey Lurkey Dee 11/22/2005

Ok, so this will probably be my last post for a few days since I'm going home for Thanksgiving. I'm sure my "health efforts" will leave much to be desired in that time period. Oh well, I get to see my fam and friends and that's all I care about.

So knowing that I'll probably be naughty and not work out a whole bunch, I kicked a little butt today. Fasted cardio for 45 minutes this morning, and chest/back/biceps after work today. My arms and chest are so spent I feel like typing requires additional effort right now. I'm not posting my food for today b/c I don't have much time....

Gotta go pack!

Happy Thanksgiving All!! (more like the 2 of you who actually read my journal....) ;)

20. jacqui

jacqui Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are many lurkers out there just like me who are reading and enjoying your journal :D
    Best of luck with your goals and happy thanksgiving to you!