1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

SL variant to start training? Or better routine?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by mrs1986, Feb 22, 2017.

1. mrs1986

mrs1986 Member

Hi all, I'm an old forum member, started my journey to lose weight and get into shape and I give up, I don't know why but I did...

Now, I'm starting over, with a better nutrition of some of the things I learnt when I was in here and wanting to start do some weight lifting again.

My preferences says to go with SL as it is a "simple" program to do, not much time consuming and exactly the 3 days I'm planning to train.

The problem with this program, is I DON'T have any gym with rubber weights, so I can't do power cleans, this is funny but I couldn't find any here in my country (I'm sure there has to be some but not even close to me). The thing is, what to do? Start this program and use an alternative exercise? Use another weight lifting program? Any recommendations??

Thanks a lot! I hope someone can give me some inputs!

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

3. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    StrongLifts 5x5 (SL) and Starting Strength (SS) have helped a lot of people get into weight/barbell training, but they've recently been removed from the Reddit r/fitness Wiki because the lack of accessory work. Similar linear-progression barbell programs like Greyskull LP and Ice Cream Fitness (ICF) give you the 5x5 benefits of SL/SS, but also provide accessory work (e.g. curls, chinups, good mornings, etc.) to keep your physique more balanced.

I've been doing the ICF program for cutting and I love it. I can do the full program with the weights in my basement and I'm stronger than I've ever been. If you're interested in this program, please watch the video as well as reading the page: He provides a bunch of alternative exercises for the more advanced new trainee.

mrs1986 likes this.
  4. mrs1986

mrs1986 Member

Thanks a lot for the tips!

I will take a look at what you have told me, when I was training I was using like a "combination" of SL and SS, anyway, I no longer remember or have my logs with me, so that's why I appreciate your comments :D

5. mrs1986

mrs1986 Member

One question? As I usually don't have that much time, it is ok to do rope jumping as cardio for the days off?

I'm going to train M-W-F as a start, and would do cardio T-TH-S and the Sunday as a completely rest day :D

Would the rope be good enough? Or it is preferable to do some jogging? I'm still overweight by a long shot, so maybe the jumping is better for my joints...

Thanks a lot!

6. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Jumping rope would elevate the heart rate. I'm not sure I could do it long enough (20 minutes or longer) for it to be beneficial but that is me. If you like it go for it. As far as easy on the joints, I would think jumping rope and running are similar levels of impact. The elliptical and bikes would be lower impact.

M@ and mrs1986 like this.
  7. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'd recommend walking or - if you have the time and access to some trails - hiking for your active recovery days. It's very low impact, suprisingly effective, and (my favorite) extremely pleasant.

8. mrs1986

mrs1986 Member

Hiking would be great, unfortunately, I don't have any place to do it close to me, I should have to travel like 100 miles to get somewhere like that... I guess I will give it a go to every exercise to have an idea of my best suited exercise!