1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

SJC - Sober January Challenge!

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by cnjlakes, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Lo0p

Lo0p Active Member

Is there going to be an SFC? :confused:

2. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    I'd imagine. I think I'm up for one. :nod:

3. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

I'm up for it. I'll use the Paul & Special K strategy for the superbowl and walk around with seltzer & lime.

The people that I normally hang out with for events like this are not so much friends as they are neighbors (with a couple exceptions), and it is amazing how they react if you tell them that you are not drinking. They give you this bewildered look like, "How can you not drink?" and proceed to try and force drinks upon you. It's a weird mentality. However, these are people that, despite approaching or being in their 50's, will drink to the point of black outs and vomting.

:confused:

On second thought, I'll stay home... No need to be in that kind of environment just to watch the game on a 60".

4. Rise

Rise Active Member

46" is good enough for me! :)

i wasn't going to join in on the SFC because I figured I'd let myself drink this month since i was so good last month. then i realized that that doesn't really make any sense, rewarding good behavior with bad behavior. so I think I will join in for the SFC and just keep the streak going. I haven't had the urge to drink and I've felt great ever since. Let's see how far we can take this!

5. specialk

specialk Well-Known Member

I've been doing the Anabolic Diet this month and it's funny but I haven't had any real desire to drink. I would drink nightly for the numbing effects to combat a stressful day. I don't have any mood swings associated with insulin spikes and therefore I haven't felt as stressed as I have in the past. So that being said I'm up for another month of being sober.

Rise, I've often rewarded good behavior with poor. It must have something to do with the body's attempt to maintain equilibrium.

6. EMac

EMac Well-Known Member

i'd be up for it. i've maintained myself and have no desire to touch it after that slip up. another month can never hurt!

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Mastover, I don't understand how I missed your post from a couple of days ago, but now that I've read it, I have to once again applaud your insights and understanding. You truly bring value to the table with each post, no matter what the journal, and I want to thank you for sharing your time and wisdom.

With regard to a SFC, which seems as if it's gaining support, I will not be participating. I think I wrote this earlier, but increase I didn't I'll explain now. If I did, then forgive me for boring you.

The Super Bowl is February 3 and the following weekend I'm going skiing for three days with a large group of friends and acquaintances. Neither of these, however, are my reason for not joining the “fun” in February as I've already stated in a previous post I intend not to imbibe until my vacation starts on February 13. That's the reason. Eight days of vacation.

Jay (Cnjlakes), the initiator of the two original Sober Challenges, articulated his reasons for joining and acknowledged that we each have our own. My intent was never to not drink again, just to moderate in general and specifically eliminate the unnecessary weeknight at home drinks. I accomplished that in October, but slowly fell back into poor habits during the last two months of the year. Hence my desire to join the SJC and right the ship. To date, I've achieved what I intended to and am confident that I will continue my abstinence until the my stated end date.

My eight days of vacation, however is a different story. I'm not implying that I'm going to drink excessively, but there will certainly be some libations responsibly consumed. Be it a glass of wine or two with dinner or a cocktail as I watch the boats sail past on the Intercoastal, I know that I won't be abstaining. Frankly I don't want to and I don't perceive that to be a bad thing, for me. Vacation is the time to recharge the batteries and being slightly relaxed in my dietary choices and relaxing with friends and relatives with a cocktail around the pool will serve me well in the long run. I'm know that there won't be any detrimental health effects from my vacation behavior because this will be about the tenth February trip to Florida and based on experience I know that it is generally a healthy vacation. For instance, I exercise just as much as when at home and even with being less strict about my diet I usually only gain a very minimal amount of weight. What's important is the decision model I fall into upon returning home.

Totally abstain? Not likely. Have a couple when with friends and family once or so per week? Probably. Fall back into the f'd up routine that I had been in for too much of the late summer and fall? I certainly hope not!

In summary, regardless of whether or not there is a formal SFC, I'll be doing a mini one for just shy of the first two weeks because I feel the benefits of a less strict approach while I'm away is greater than the benefits of being as strict as I have been.

Good luck to all as we enter the final week of the SJC!

8. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Well stated Paul! While I seriously doubt complete abstinence will become a part of my game plan, it is good to see that I can have a bad day, as SK said, and not need a numbing agent to get deal with it.

I read in another thread where someone uses stretching as a way to relax. I've started doing that and found it to have a noticeable calming effect, not to mention the other benefits.

Oh man, I see Jay 5 years down the road sipping wheat grass juice, going to India for yoga pilgrimages and buying stock in Giaim. Just kidding.

9. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

Here it is, the final weekend of the challenge. We're in the home stretch and we've got incredible momentum. I've learned quite a bit from this, not only from abstaining, but also from the excellent discussion. Thanks, everyone.

An SFC sounds pretty good to me. I don't go on vacation till March. ;)

10. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Let's do it!

11. AzDesertRhino

AzDesertRhino Active Member

I'm up for a SFC.

It's been great reading the posts and hearing of everyone else's success and challenges. I have to stay sober one day at a time (since 11-15-07).

Unfortunately, I'm not the person that can sit down and have one or two social drinks, if you know what I mean.

Been waiting for someone to post it up so I could sign up for it (since I'm the new guy on the block!!)

The newbie doesn't want to overstep his bounds!:nono:

Of course, Sometimes you have to stretch out, so what the hell!!

I went ahead and posted a Sober February Challenge, let's do this!!

Best of luck to all and stay motivated!!

#91 AzDesertRhino, Jan 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  12. Rise

Rise Active Member

2 Days left everyone, and they are week days! I'm going to give an early congrats to everyone who made it through the month, well done! :tu::tu::tu:

13. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

I'm in.

All of us can and will do it!

:gl:

14. AzDesertRhino

AzDesertRhino Active Member

15. specialk

16. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Congratulations to all! If I did not have karate tonight, I would probably have blown the challenge. I'm in a very dark place and want to get obliterated. No good reason, just in a deep funk. :evil::mad::(

I'll get a good workout at karate, get a good night's sleep and hopefully not be like this tomorrow!

17. specialk

Hang in there. It will pass and you'll feel even better because you persevered.

18. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

Well, I wasn't part of this challenge but I also haven't have had a drink this January. I resolved to not let things get in the way of my goals this year and booze was something that got in the way of both my body comp goals and career goals. I haven't missed drinking at all and I've been much more productive.

There is a lot of excessive drinking in London. I think a lot of it is probably to do with working in shit jobs and just wanting to go out and forget about it all at the weekend. When I was working at a company I know that what I was like. But now I'm starting my own business and working from home. I thoroughly enjoy my life as it is. So the need to get out and get plastered just isnt there.

If there is a SFC I'll be onboard. :tu:

19. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

Cheers to an alcohol-free month! We rocked this thing.

20. PlainGreyT

PlainGreyT Active Member

Great job to all of you who kicked drink to the curb :tucool: