1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Sit ups every day? Y/N?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by cleveland, Jul 30, 2005.

1. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

Good point. My take on the whole ab workout thing is this:

Unweighted exercises 5-7x/week

or

Weighted exercises 1-3x/week

If using weights, then I would tend to say doing abs daily is not the best idea. If not using weights, you may not get the results you hope for just doing them once or twice a week.

2. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

That's why I alternate days!!!!!!!

3. l|_.-~*Paradise2K*~-._|l

l|_.-~*Paradise2K*~-._|l Well-Known Member

Note: These are likely configured to "rtestes." Being that walking briskly at 3.5 mph has a MET value of 4, that would mean rtestes weighs 188 lb's. Vigorously performing sit-ups at your weight rtestes for 10 min would amount to 114 calories burned though, so I'm not sure where you got those figures from.

I don't get what you mean by this. How would anyone be getting "workout results" in the abdominal region if you couldn't spot reduce via Exercise OR Diet? Spot reduction is basically the "fat reduction" in a specified area or "spot" on the body (such as your abdominal region). Spot gains is basically the gaining of muscle in a specified area or "spot" on your body (such as your biceps, etc.).

Also, your abdominal muscles aren't like the other muscles of your body in the fact that they don't always need days of rest in-between workouts; it has been proven time and time again that not resting your abdominal muscles does not halt any positive progress made in your abdominal region.

So to summarize this, I would say go ahead and do sit-ups every day if you want, it shouldn't produce any dramatically negative results; let alone any negative results. Good luck with your progress and keep at it! Persistency is key!

4. jsbrook

jsbrook Well-Known Member

Your post is fairly unclear. You can spot gain. That's what working a muscle does. You really can't spot reduce with diet or exercise. You lose fat by creating a caloric defiict through diet and exercise. You'll lose fat throughout your body. It may not exactly uniform. But you can't just decide, "I want to lose fat in my gut but not my arms". It doesn't work that way. That what's meant whe you say we can't spot reduce. Doing heavy, weighted abwork every day probably IS detrimental and doesn't allow for recovery. Doing unweighted abwork is not. Your abs can handle the stimulation of this. There's not necessarily one right way. So much of abs is diet anyhow and being at low enough bodyfat to see them. But for the exercise side of the equation, there are people who do unweighted ab work every day who have great abs. And there are people that do heavy weighted work 2-3 times a week and have great abs. There are even people who do no direct abwork who have great abs since they are worked when doing squats and other compound movements when training appropriately.

5. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Agreed 100%

6. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Paradise2k, why the body can spot gain (muscle) and not spot reduce (fat):

Muscle grows through resistance exercise in a process called hypertrophy. You cause damage in the form of microscopic tears to your muscle fibers; the body then repairs the tears and thickens the fiber (adds a little extra) in order to prevent the fiber from tearing again under the same resistance.

You are able to spot gain because you can cause hypertrophy to a target muscle.

The body gets the energy it needs to function from the bloodstream. When there isn't enough energy available in the bloodstream (via mainly sugars), the body catabolizes your fat and muscle stores. In aerobic exercise, the body is able to use its fat stores easily. In anaerobic exercise, the body is not able to efficiently use its fat stores because the reactions involved in using fat require oxygen; muscle, however, does not need oxygen to be converted to energy so, during anaerobic exercise, the body uses increased amounts of muscle for energy and decreased amounts of fat, as less oxygen is available than is needed to convert an appropriate amount of fat to energy.

When you perform exercise such as running or swimming, a very large portion of your muscles are being used. Each of these muscles needs energy to continue working at optimal efficiency. So, the energy in your bloodsteam is quickly used. Once the available amount of energy in your bloodstream dwindles, after a relatively short period of exercise, the body begins tapping into its fat or muscle for energy -- the ratio depending on the intensity of your exercise, whether you're operating at aerobic or anaerobic levels.

Performing exercise daily while eating at a maintainence level (consuming the minimum amount of energy your body needs to sustain itself at rest) will force your body to use itself for energy because the increased activity level requires more energy than is available. Over a period of weeks, you will lose weight because your body has "eaten" some of itself.

You can't spot reduce because the body (nearly 100% of the time) does not bypass the bloodstream to look for energy. Even if you did 10 sit-ups every second for 24 hours every day for an entire month, the body would keep looking to the bloodstream for energy and, when it isn't found, the body will break fat and muscle down wherever its stored to supply the bloodstream and the muscles drawing from it.

*Note that, when I say the energy of the blood stream is used, I mean the energy directly supplied to the blood stream from the stomach as it breaks down the food and other matter you've consumed. This is why it's not recommended to do your cardio after eating a meal. If you don't have as much food available to be converted into energy, the body will tap into its own resources quicker.

**Also note that, to preserve your body composition, it's not enough to eat a meal directly before exercising. The stomach can only convert energy at so fast of a rate. If you're performing an intense enough exercise, the energy requirement will outpace the stomach's ability to fulfill and the body will still turn to its own resources to make up the remainder.

#26 chicanerous, Aug 4, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  7. pinoy_dude

pinoy_dude Well-Known Member

i stuck to my original plan of doing unweighted abdominal exercises 3-4 times a week since i started 16 months ago...i do 4 exercises of 3 sets each of the following (hip-ups, crunches, reverse crunches and "air bikes")
    i got fairly good result with it but it took quite a time for my abs to pop out even when cold (about a year) especially the 5th and 6th packs...the last set of packs (the 7th and 8th) are a bit visible right now, particularly after my abs workout....am thinking of doing weighted exercises soon so they'll be visible even without the pump :db:

8. OoOGazOoO

OoOGazOoO Well-Known Member

Anyone got any tips on making sure the abs are properly contracted during sit ups? ? ?

9. jsbrook

Instead of focusing on the standard sit up motion--which largely activates your hip flexors--concentrate on crunching your breast bone down to your pelvis. This will maximally activate the abs without having the hip flexors take over

10. OoOGazOoO

OoOGazOoO Well-Known Member

So, think about trying to sort of try to get the breast bone to touch my pelvis, will crunch the ab section more, and protude it more, meaning that more emphasis will be placed on that area? ? ?

11. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

This sounds like some crazy contortionist move.I suggest you do a google search for AB EXCERCISES. Some of the sights have video clips showing proper execution.

12. jsbrook

It's not a contortionist move. You're not actually touching your breastbone to your pelvis. Your just focusing on pushing from there when doing your contraction. It really does help activate the abs for and help take the hip flexors out of the equation. Particularly if you happen to be doing weighted crunches on an ab machine (which I personally don't really do-I mostly stick to weighted crunches on the ground or hanging pikes and other hanging work)

13. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

I understand that Justin but I find it very difficult to " explain " an excercise.I think a visual aid is much more effective.

14. jsbrook

You're right. It was a good suggestion. I was just trying to clairfy. Visual aid does help.

15. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

I find it tough to explain any excercise correctly. I'm afraid to give advise, I may cripple someone!!!!!

16. jsbrook

:lol:

17. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

You sound like a recently certified trainer. Are you one?