1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Sit ups every day? Y/N?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by cleveland, Jul 30, 2005.

1. cleveland

cleveland Well-Known Member

Do you do sit ups every day?

2. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

What else are you doing the rest of your body? Weights?

3. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

No, I dont do them daily and I dont believe most people should either. They are the same as any muscle group and should have a period of rest between workouts. Depending on what other workout methods you use you probably are getting an ab workout anyway even when you are not specifically targeting abs. Being that abs are your core they are worked out to some degree in every excersize you do. I would recommend working them specifically only 2-3 times a week.

4. cleveland

"What else are you doing the rest of your body? Weights?"

Not enough, that's for sure!

I changed my eating habits, and I do a bit of cardio. I wish I lift weights more then I do, but I have been hitting one change at a time.

1st-changed eating (every day I eat good food, no crap!)
    2nd-added cardio (walking quite a bit and sex)
    3rd-added some weights (once, maybe twice a week)

Now I am at doing some work on my core. After I have done this, I will start over by increasing the number of meals I eat (I eat 4 right now), do more cardio (Longer walks, and maybe introduce jump rope), and increase the amount of times a week that I lift weights.

The reason I asked my question. I have done 50 sit ups every morning for a week before my shower and today my stomach hurt so I skipped them. Then I got to thinking that maybe everyday is not good. :confused: So I figured I would ask.

5. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Yes. I do abs daily. I alternate weighted / body weight days. Most people don't agree with this method but i've got a real nice 6 pack to prove it works! Nobody can EVER tell me my ab routine doesn't produce great results.
    As far as abs getting work indirectly, sure. However it is my belief that abs need to be isolated in order to get that real "cut - groove" look.
    Also, I am absolutely positive that a six pack is out of reach for most people who aren't willing to eat correctly. They say abs are made in the kitchen, I've gotta agree.Diet is by far the singlemost important element in a nice midsection.
    One more thing. This routine works for ME. That doesn't mean it will work for ANYONE else. If you choose to work abs daily I suggest you start real slow.

6. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Let me warn you, you are losing weight. You aren't doing anything to build or maintain muscle. You are in danger of losing muscle, and thereby lowering metabolism. That sets you up for rebound weight gain, when you do eat more calories.

You need to lift weights. You shouldn't prolong it. Start an effective weight program.

The situps should be crunches, and it isn't the worst thing to do to hit the abs every 7 days. But, 2-3 times a week are enough. Remember you can't spot reduce an area with exercise or diet. But you can build, strengthen, and provide form to body with exercise.

Read the messages this weekend in this forum, go back at least 2 months. Get the feel of things. Try to understand the importance of Muscles. You aren't burning fat off with crunches.

7. Kino

Kino Well-Known Member

I grew up watching Body by Jake, and learned to work my "abba-dabba's" everyday. I do different exercises each day on a rotation. Day one might be V-Up's followed by Medicine Ball Twists. Day two would be Inverted Sit-ups right into Inverted Static Hold/Crunches, all done on the inversion table. Day three would be Incline Weighted Crunches followed by Static held Twists with a bar across my shoulders. I just keep that rotation going. If I don't feel upto an ab workout one day...I don't sweat it because I know I'm doing plenty. :D

8. cleveland

I have had a few threads moved. Sorry guys, I will catch on in time. Thanks for being patient.

So every other day you do sit ups and then on the alternate days you do them with a weight in your hands?

9. fosse

fosse Well-Known Member

for me working myabs 4 times a week wrks for me, im with dd on this one. also im loving ur cardio :lol:

10. NewSkin

NewSkin Well-Known Member

Just do body weight ab exercises when you are starting out. Too much weight will lead to poor form and you will be working every muscle BUT your abs.

11. cleveland

It counts.......right? I figure 2-3 times a week and if I miss a day, I get in an extra walk.

So I am not building any muscle with the sit ups? Just burning calories?

Weights = Build & Cardio = Burn??????????

12. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

You are building some of the smallest muscles in your body with situps.

Cardio builds very few muscles.

Walk for 40 mins at say 3.5 mph = 227 calories.

Do some situps for 10 mins = 40 calories

That is less than 2 ozs of peanuts or almonds. It is better than nothing. We lose by taking in less calories than we expend. A pound of muscle burns 19 times what a pound of fat does at rest without activity. A pound of muscle takes up 20% less space than a pound of fat. Build muscle, reduce calories.

Congrads on losing +40 lbs. Try your best not to lose muscle, it can be hard to gain sometimes.

13. cleveland

Thanks!

I did loose muscle, I can tell just from lifting weights. The nice thing is that I lost more fat then muscle, so I believe it could be worse.

So I really do need to hit the weights right away if I want to start building again? I guess I need to WORKout with WORK, eh. :rolleyes: I like your sig. :D

Thanks for all the advice, I will be putting it to good use.

14. Chris20

Chris20 Well-Known Member

I only do specific ab work one or two times a week. You need to find out what works for you. Everyone is different so what works for me, or someone else might not work for you.

15. biftor

biftor Well-Known Member

sit ups just dont do it for me it feels like there doing nothing.
    however
    eating good, doing pushups andrunning/jogging is making my 8 pack visible. Pushups do the abs very well i believe depending on your stance when doing them and i do pushups nearly everyday, but have 1 or 2 days off every week to let muslces develop but its true you need to do some cardio to burn that fat off to see your 6 pack or 8 pack.

16. cleveland

Really? Is that due to "proper posture" while doing them?

Do others agree with this?

17. Kino

Kino Well-Known Member

Yes

18. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

We always seem to agree, we should colaborate on a book or something. :lol:

Couldn't agree more. I've had countless debates with members (well, mostly former members) of this forum and other ones who said the only way to build abs is weighted exercises once, maybe twice per week or that unweighted ab exercises daily are a waste. Aside from a few month period a year or two ago that I tried abs twice a week, weighted, I've always done abs unweighted, nearly daily and have always had quite a 6-pack since a few months after starting them (no, i wasn't one of those people born with one). And these days, I don't even do ab exercises and my 6-pack doesn't fade. Not saying it's perfect, but it's good enough for me.

I'm not saying daily, unweighted exercises are necessary, but I've got a stomach that at least shows they work.

And ditto about the diet part mentioned above.

19. jsbrook

jsbrook Well-Known Member

I don't. I have a pretty good 8-pack when lean. My abs get worked heavily from squats and other indirect compound work. And I hit them hard two days per week. One day is usually hanging pikes. And the other day is weighted crunches. Occasionally, I'll do some non-weighted ab work when the mood strikes me, but it's not a regular occurence. I think doing non-weighted crunches and abwork everyday is ok and an alternative approach that can yield good results. But doing weighted ab work or intense work like hanging pikes more than 2-3 times per week is pushing it in my opinion.

20. jsbrook

jsbrook Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I believe in weighted work, but you must learn to properly contract your abs BEFORE you start doing it.