1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

SIDE LATERAL RAISE: How much weight?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by MGB, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Kino

Kino Well-Known Member

I've done this for a couple of other members... If you'd like, I could fire off a couple of Shoulder Post Rehab templates, that you could take a look at for ideas to help strengthen the shoulder girdle. It would contain exercises, set and rep suggestions, as well as photos depicting the exercises being done properly. I'd post em here, but the templates wouldn't load correctly. They'd have to be emailed, so if you'd like(or anybody else) fire me off a PM, and I'd be glad to send the material over.

Walt

2. vestigo

vestigo Well-Known Member

On the topic of side lat raises, which is a more proper way to do them (which will work the muscle better):

Arms straight out
    or
    Arms slightly bent

3. Kino

Kino Well-Known Member

Which is better is not the way to look at that. You're only changing the amount of torque applied to the muscle, by changing the length of the lever. Arms straight out produces more rotational force than with them bent. Keep that in mind if you want to step up your weight. If you bend your arms, it'll be easier to put the weight up. Or...as an alternative...bent arms up on the concentric motion, and drop them with your arms straight out(eccentric), where you'll be able to handle the additional weight better.
    Another alternative, is to combine dumbbell shoulder presses with lat drops. Press the dumbbells up(thumbs down always), about 2/3-3/4 of the way up. Don't go all the way, or lock out. From that point straighten your arms, and drop them slowly to parallel(or where ever you feel you can bring them in safely), like the ending position of a lat raise(thumbs down). Bring them in, and repeat. Just something to break up the routine.

#23 Kino, Oct 29, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2004
  4. JMR

JMR Well-Known Member

Exactly. That's why you can use so much weight on the machines where your elbows are bent at a 90 degree angle. It's just impossible to compare weights used if the angle isn't the same and you're not seated.

5. glenn_001

glenn_001 Well-Known Member

Ive never seen anyone, even the 'bigboys' doing heavy seated lateral raises.
    Always standing with a bit of lower back thrown in. :nod:
    I always do seated in slow motion and hold for a few secs at top, but any more than 10kg Dumbells I lose form and cant hold.
    I get better results from cables and rear delt machine myself. :tu:
    Always with the most strict form, otherwise i make no gains.

6. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Old threads revisited. :)

7. glenn_001

Sorry :o

8. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

No problem, we leave threads too soon sometimes. There might be more to be said. Wouldn't it be nice if all the things said on curls or lateral raises was in one place. And we just added or clarified things.

You are right about some big boys, they jerk those lateral up and down so fast you think they will take off. I always wondered how much they could lift slow and controlled.

9. Cab00se

Cab00se Well-Known Member

Hmmm. From the Max-OT pdf:
    The author(s) of the Max-OT course seems to encourage a bit of cheating form-wise for this exercise.

I'm sure it's true that using perfect form and isolating the delts will result in you not being able to use as much weight, but does good form necessarily lead to better results?

10. Cab00se

Cab00se Well-Known Member

Found a link from AST's site that also suggests some improvisation in form.

Mind you, I don't know with any certainty which way is better (me=n00b); I definitely sense a trend among the replies to this thread, however, that the guys who go heavy on their side laterals and cheat a bit on form are inherently doing something "wrong." AST's Max-OT program, which is currently one of the most popular on the forums, specifically states not to be overly rigid with your form.

I guess I just find the contradiction interesting.

11. glenn_001

Mind you, I don't know with any certainty which way is better

Im sure you can make gain with good form or jerking it up, I think the only difference is how quick you make the gains, ive tried both ways myself and definately make better gains with less weight in this exercise as im targeting the proper muscles.
    But each to their own, im more interested in my own development than everyone around me. :bb: