1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

SIDE LATERAL RAISE: How much weight?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by MGB, Oct 27, 2004.

1. MGB

MGB Well-Known Member

Curious, for those who'd like to share and do the exercise, how much weight you are using for side lat raises?

I have separated shoulder, mind you, but 20lbs feels like a lot. I can do a significant # of sets in the 10 rep range, but can't seem to get past 20-25lbs for any number of reps w/o significant joint pain in either shoulder. Also, don't yet have the shoulder strength to go beyond this weight.

NOTE: I just started doing side lat raises.

2. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

Yeah- working raisies, I find that the jumps up by 5 lbs are much bigger hurdles than other lifts.

The real question is: what's your goal? If you're building mass you still want to go heavy with low reps like everything else- just gotta be careful- especially with your injury- why are you working shoulders if injured, by the way?

3. MGB

MGB Well-Known Member

It's an semi-old (120 dayish) injury that's mostly healed. Even though my left shoulder was not separated I still have the same pain/weakness :(

4. william g

william g Well-Known Member

15 lbs if you using 20lbs your probley not doing them correct least that what i was taught keep your pinky and your elbow up some you shouldnt be able to lift you arms past shoulder hieght youll se what i mean. keep a smooth lift dont just wing it up if you cant hold it there.
    well thats my 2 cents. btw i believe keeping the pinky and elbow slightly up keeps you working the center delt instead of the front.
    if im wrong im sure someone will correct me :D

5. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

7-9 range with 30's.
    3-5 range with 35's.

With good pouring pitcher, slightly bent elbows form, careful not to shrug traps, focusing on extending the arm to use the shoulder as a hinge, leaning forward, starting with weights in front of my thighs, and using a slight touch of body english.

I need a smaller increment to make the exercise more effective as 5#'s is really too large a jump.

6. MGB

MGB Well-Known Member

Thanks for the posts. I think it may have been lat raises that helped to separate my shoulder, so I'm exacting about form (e.g., no shrugging, which I was doing before).

I think I may try to get to 35lbs next week (C: I'll let you know how it goes).

HEAVIER WEIGHTS ARE EASIER:
    I don't know about anyone else, but for me there are a number of exercises where joint pain seems to go away with heavier weight, and almost seem easier. For example, I warm-up with 40 lb dumbells for bicep curls, and it really doesn't feel very good. As soon as I bump it up to 55lbs, then it feels much better...in a strange way it's like my 'transmission' is slipping below 55 and hooks up @ 55.

I'll snap some before and after pics over the next couple of months to see how the lat raises are working for me.

7. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

I have never used more than 25 lb, today I use 15 lbs slow and controlled. Don't push it. I go front, side and bent over, right after each other for a tri-set. Slow and controlled is best. Let deltoid do work not other muscles even if you start over at 5 lbs.

8. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I use 45s on this exercise, just went up. It's an exercise where I find I have to do lower weight then I'd feel necessary in order to maintain good form. I'm all for heavy weight but if I go too heavy on this it just feels like I have to jump the weight up.

9. billy_everette

billy_everette Well-Known Member

I use 10's on slow , straight-arm lateral raises

I use 100's on lateral raise thrusts. [ grap a heavy weight, bring them to your sides. With your lats, thrust them about 6 inches, and stop them with your lats. Then bring them back to your side, without touching your legs, and repeat for about 15 reps. Your lats will burn after 1 set --the key is that you are controlling the weight the entire time.]

10. Kino

Kino Well-Known Member

I only use between 12-18lbs...

11. JMR

JMR Well-Known Member

Hmmm. All you guys using more than 20-30 lbs need to have a seat and then try 'em.. You'll find out how much you're just cheating the weight up. :D

12. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Well-Known Member

Also, I've seen lots of people doing lateral raises with their elbows bent at nearly a 90 degree angle. It changes the leverage and lets them do a lot more weight.

13. Kino

Kino Well-Known Member

Actually...if you're still recouping a seperated shoulder. I wouldn't be too quick to get back into lat raises. Have you already been through rehab, or are you just figuring that it's ok to get back into the swing of things?
    I'm only mentioning this because if your shoulders are shot...it's going to effect your entire upper body routine, for a very long time.

14. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

A heavy set for me is 20. I could probably play with 25, but I don't bother. My form on these is arms almost totally straight, with good, clean reps. To give an idea of my shoulder strength, I go about 150 on military press if I'm going really heavy, and can do about 10 reps with 70s if I'm fresh with dumbell press (going most or all of the way down).

15. Knubb

Knubb Well-Known Member

I use 25 kgs (55 lbs) for my sets. I try to go for 6 reps, but the last set or two sometimes feels too heavy. Still, I feel that the 22.5 kgs (49.5 lbs) dumbbells are too light to do my sets with. I could easily do several sets of 8 if I used them.

16. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I'm not cheating and it's kinda unfair of you to assume so just judging by the weight used. I started out doing these at 25lbs. but after a while of hard training I got stronger.

17. JMR

JMR Well-Known Member

Are you doing them seated and at what angle are your elbows? Not being unfair... just being realistic.

18. william g

yeah im doing 155 on my military press sets of 8 and i find it hard to do 15 without cheating on the lateral raises maybe some of use are just lacking in some areas but it does sound unrealistic to do that much in good form. can you hold it at full extension?? not beening a prick just hard for me to believe since im so weak in the area and i dont spend much time at the gym so havent seen increadable strenth like that

http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidLateral/DBLateralRaise.html

19. MGB

MGB Well-Known Member

This is my weakest exercise, so it's not hard for me to believe that others can do much more weight, especially others that weigh more than me to begin with.

The form on the link above is almost exactly what I do. I alternate thumb direction, however. The link appears to have thumbs pointing down, which I do. I also do reps with thumbs pointing slightly up.

Regarding lbs used: who cares! :)

Have a great day.

20. william g