1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Sick and trying to cut/bulk

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by cz3ch, Oct 20, 2013.

1. cz3ch

cz3ch Well-Known Member

I'm 36 and have pretty bad stomach problems. I have a soft diagnosis of acid-reflux disease (pending an endoscopy). Right now my diet is horrible. Bland foods, lots of rice, vegetables, very little meat (I can't stomach it). I'm lucky if I eat 1200 calories a day and at 5'10/196# I should be eating much more.

While I'm sorting out my problems with eating food (with the way I eat I'm near borderline anorexic in what I can tolerate) I was wondering if someone could give me a hand in getting my macros balanced.

Since I have a hard time tolerating meat, what else can I eat as a protein? I have shakes and powder but supplementing without taking in natural protein from a meat source can't be good for me.

Ultimately, I'd like to shoot for 1800-2000 calories. I'd like to find a way to chop the carbs out of my diet and eat more protein. Here's what a typical day of my diet looks like.

Breakfast:
    1 cup steel cut oats
    1 banana

Lunch:
    Hummus, cucumber, and red pepper sandwich on 12 grain/nut bread

Snack:
    1/2 cup of mixed nuts

Dinner:
    4oz of chicken (if I can stomach it)
    1 cup of brown rice
    1 cup of steamed veggies

Snack:
    Protein shake 25g protein

Yep, it's pretty carb-laden and I'm most likely malnourished. I really need some help from the community.

Thanks!

2. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Can you hack protein powders and/or weight gainer powder?

For me, they are very useful tools in hitting my macros....and maybe they will be more kind to the stomach?

I have no experience with acid-reflux/stomach issues....so I am not sure what to recommend.

3. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Acid reflux? No problem. Zantac is available over the counter. Nexium is a prescription level solution. I have had acid reflux for 25 years. Never bothers me at all anymore.

4. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

Same here. I've been on Nexium for 10 years and as long as I don't forget to take it, I have zero issues. If I forget a day or two,I have unbearable heartburn. Hopefully your physician can give you something that can fix that up.

You can get protein from many different sources other than meat. Greek yogurt, tofu (soybeans), beans. Check out some Vegan/Vegetarian websites to see what they eat for protein.

Good luck.