1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Sick and tired of being sick and tired

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Blinkbear, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Blinkbear

Blinkbear Well-Known Member

OK, enough is enough.

I'm sick of threatening myself and saying that I need to lose weight and not doing it. I'm sick of making empty promises to myself to finally get into shape. I've gone so far as to get memberships to gyms only to never use them. I've gone on spurts where i eat right and I give in to temptation and fall backinto my old habits.

I'm 20 yrs old, 6'0, 260 lbs. I have muscle, I'm moderately strong cuz I played football for many years. My BF% is jsut way too high now. Made an effort recently, dropped about 15 lbs and loved the results that I could actually see even if no one else could....only for some reason unbeknownst to me...I decided to just gain it right back.

I just started school after spending the past 2.5-3 yrs of my life doing the working fulltime at dead end jobs thing. Hated it. I'm now going back to school for Criminal Justice. My goal is to be a police officer. But to do that I need to be physically fit and I need to start now.

I want to lose weight...I want to burn fat. At this point in time I have no desire to maintain the muscle I have as it is currently. If I lose some, big deal. I will be lifting, I bought a membership to the gym here at school and I'm a 5 min walk from it. Cutting is the key right now. After I lose the fat, then the muscle will come next.

I'm trying so hard to tell myself that it's going to work this time. I see John and the results otehrs have experienced here and I know I can do that myself. I know it! I'm jsut terrible at applying myself. It's my fault. I'm the way I am today because of me. I ate the fast food. I made the choice to watch TV and not go out and run around. Now *I* need to do something about it.

My career depends on it, and since my family history is full of heart disease..especially on my dad's side where he and his 3 brothers have had heart surgery...my life could depend on it down the road.

i'm sickened and disgusted by what I see and what I've become. But I'm not goign to be it anymore. I swear this is the last time.!!! I hate being frsutrated I hate being this way!

It starts now...not next week...not when it becomes more convenient, not when I can finally afford the proper diet...NOW.

I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired....now it's time to do something about it

-John

2. needachange

needachange Active Member

You can do it man!! I have been going solid for almost a month now and I feel great. This forum has helped me out so much in just staying motivated. I read in the journal section every day seeing average joes just like myself being where I was and how they've changed and become something they never imagined. I have struggled with alcohol, food, caffine, laziness and everything else but I am doing it now and won't let myself fail anymore!!!! So keep your head up and stick with it. Log in every day here if you can (just lurk if you don't want to post) but just to keep you motivated.

3. johnnielow

johnnielow Active Member

Welcome John,
    I am in the same boat as you, only I am a lot older than you are. If I can give you one piece of advise, take care of yourself physically now, it gets a lot harder as you get older. You are a young man with your whole future ahead of you, and your dream of being a police officer will come true, you just have to work hard to get there. But I know from reading your post that you can and will do it. Stay strong and focused, and the success will be great.

4. dkmahkee

dkmahkee Well-Known Member

Hey John, welcome to JSF.

I totally understand where you're coming from. I was at a similar point in my life about 3.5 years ago, when I decided (like you) that I was just tired of it, and was going to do something about it. That was about 65lbs ago. :) Just remember to treat fitness as a "journey" and not as an endpoint. Good luck, I know you can do it! :tu:

5. Blinkbear

Thanks for the kind words guys. It's just that to me, I almost feel ridiculous for saying that cuz it's like "Here we go again." People jsut don't understand the struggle that it is. They may say that it's easy, jsut go out and run and eat right. But for so long you feel that it's not that easy. BUt it really is! It's a s simpe as that. It's confusing. Everything is confusing. From where to start to what to do and how to do it.

I used to be so good at being competetive and challenging other people and overcoming them. But I never ever once did I challenged myself. I've become my own worst adversary. The internal struggle with yourself is far greater than I think any physical struggle with someone or something else could ever get. It's so hard to do. To look at yourself and admit your faults and figure out where you went wrong and how to fix it. You get unknowingly stuck in this self-defeating attitude that you're just meant to be the way you are and that's that.

It's like you're climbing out of a hole that you dug yourself both literally and figuratively. Physically, if you dug a hole and got in it, you're too out of shape to climb yourself up and out of that hole you dug. And mentally you're too out of shape to climb up and out of that mental hole you dug. So you just sit there, as it gets deeper and deeper and deeper.

Getting out of that hole has become the most difficult thing I've ever tried to do in my relatively short life. Just to realize that "Hey, it's getting pretty dark in here, I better get out before it's too late." Is the first step. And there does become a point where it's too late down the road and I don't think I have to point out what I'm trying to get at here.

My point is that it's a long, hard fight. You know the odds are stacked against you. You're not in shape, you may not be fully ready. Everyone says that there's no chance in hell that you'll win, it's impossible. You may even say that yourself. But there comes a time when you just have to suck it up and get out there and give it your all. It's a fight that can be won if you have the heart, desire, and determination. That's why the underdog can never be counted out...and in this fight, I'm the underdog, and I know it.

6. SwoleCat

SwoleCat Well-Known Member

I wouldn't rush fat loss, being that you are more likely to get tired and run-down only to give up again. As well, retaining as much of your lean muscle mass as you can while dieting will pay huge dividends not only in your final look, but in regards to your metabolism as well.

Attain an intelligent/effective protocol that you can stick to, and be CONSISTENT. No need to rush, just be consistent, because the fastest way from point A to point B is a straight line. It's easy for me to stay ripped and muscular as it's my career so I have made it my lifestyle. It's what I do day in and day out, but even as a "hobby" for you, it's best to develop something you can stick with for the long haul and not try to rush and possibly get burned out.

Good luck,
    ~SC~

7. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

You're spending most of your time telling yourself (and us) how hard it is

to get motivated.

Stop thinking in this mode.

How bad do you want it? Either you are going to get fit or you are not.

All of us have areas in our life like you describe.

But the mind gives up long before the body. As a matter of fact being fit starts with what goes on in your mind not your body.

It's not a question of "can" you do it. It's a question of "do you want to" do it.

Or are you going to wait until your first heart attack and then take the path to resurrection? Do you see it as somehow carving out a place on the family tree forever by having a couple of coronaries first?

Stop whining....get out there and do it :mad:

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Don't be so defeatist. You can do this. Will it be easy? No. Is a healthy lifestyle achievable? Absolutely!

You twice refer to a mythical group of naysayers, first as the People who don't understand the struggle and secondly when you write that Everyone says there's no chance that you'll win. Who are these people and why should you care what they think? I can tell you for a fact that they don't come around here. The folks around here know the struggle and also know that you can win. Many have made astonishing transformations and you should use their stories as an inspiration.

You used the hole metaphor and that is an apt one. You're in one, but YOU have the ability to climb out. You just have to want to do it.

Not everyone takes the same exact path, so follow Swole's advice and go slow. The key is consistency. Find routines that adhere to the health protocols espoused around here and that you can follow. Try many things on for size, throw out what doesn't work for you, and keep what does. In no time you'll have a routine that is personalized for you and will increase your odds of success. Stick to your plan and the results will happen. Really.

This isn't magic.

9. dkmahkee

There are quite a few of us who HAVE been there, who haven't been successful the first time, or maybe even first FEW times that we tried to "get healthier." Before you start make excuses about the people on JSF not being able to relate to you, take some time read through some journals, etc, to see that its not always a smooth road. A lot of us have had ups and downs. But we've all gotten through it. If you happen to give in and have some pizza or something, its not the end of the world. If you treat your first "mini-failure" as the end-all to your journey, then of course you'll never succeed. We all mess up sometimes. But we don't let that deter us from seeing the bigger goal. We just get back on track, and learn from our mistakes. But you can't spend all your time telling yourself how hard it is, because if you do, you're really just sabotaging yourself.

10. SwoleCat

SwoleCat Well-Known Member

One thing that I always tell clients is this:

Your desire to change MUST be greater than your desire to stay the same.

If it's not, well, you know how that story ends.

~SC~

11. Blinkbear

Hey guys

So I had time to calm down and think about this. It was acually kind of hard to come back to this thread and read some of the stuff you guys said. I was just having a bad day yesterday and I just time to sit and think about myself and how i feel and it just kind of snowballed from there. I was just blowing off alot of steam to you guys because...well...there's no one else in my life that would understand like you all do. Even though those of you guys who have been here a while have heard it a thousand and one times. Sorry bout that.

But I'm deadly serious about this. Yes I realize that I need to take it slow cuz in the long run it's the best way. I went out last night at about 10 and went grociery shopping. I bought some cottage cheese, chicken breasts, loads of fruits and canned veggies, oatmeal, wheat rice, among other things from lists I found aroud here. I literally threw away all of the bad food that i had (everything) into the dumpster. I kind of had a little farewell today, had my last bite of fast food. I told my girlfriend I wanted it just one last time before i started this. I especially savored my Dr. Pepper hehe. She's really supportive which I know is going to help me alot.

I plan on being around here alot, filling you guys in on whats going on and asking for advice and help and possible words of motivation/wisdom (Hevymetal, I'm looking at you lol)

12. dkmahkee

:tucool: one day at a time! :gl:

13. crupiea

crupiea Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard. You will do fine, just keep it in perspective. Getting in shape is something that is fun to do and gives you satisfying results. Try not to look at it as all or nothing because if you stumble even slightly, you will go back to your old ways. Look at it as an ongoing process to learn about yourself and your body and how nutrition and workouts can change it to meet your goals. If something is not working, it's not the end of civilization, it's just something you chalk up to experience then try something else. I have had great success just making small adjustments at a time.
    It started out as wanting to do something fun. I chose lifting weights. i was not going to diet at all, just lift to have fun. As I read more here about diet, I decided to give it atry a little at a time. After the first week a couple of lbs came off and I realized I was very happy and decided to stick with it to see where I could go with it. Next I added a little cardio. It is fun and now the pounds really started coming off. Keep in mind i was still eating Chef-Boy-R-Dee every day and drinking beer twice a week. As time went on, I gradually cleaned my diet up and started eating a little better, adding veggies, watching calories and macros, etc. By this time I have easily lost 40 lbs and am very happy with the results. I wonder how far I can go.
    So today, after 10 months almost to the day I have lost 98 lbs and am looking forward to cracking the 100 lbs mark. I eat pizza once a week. Today I had a huge carne asada burrito and I dont feel bad about it at all. I know that in 2 weeks time I will step on the scale and it will say I have lost another 2 lbs.
    So just enjoy the journey and learn about yourself and have fun.
    Good Luck

14. TarSeal

TarSeal Well-Known Member

Hey John, weclome. I'm glad to see you're making a big change.

I second Swole's advice. Don't rush the fat loss at the expense of even a single ounce of muscle. That shit's precious. :gl:

15. gjbourke

gjbourke Well-Known Member

Ideas.

1. Develop a palette or toolbox of exercise that you enjoy. In addition to mastering weight training, experiemnt with cardio exercises such as walking, jogging, yoga/stretching, swimming/active floating, cycling, rowing. If you find that one type bores you don't discard it immediately but vary the intensity, the length of time spent, the time of day, or food intake prior.

2. Be attentive to what you're doing. Keep notes. I use a small 4x3 inch pocket book, the kind with a pencil holster. I keep this in my pocket at all times and use it to note food intake during the day. I use another larger book to hold workout notes.

3. Learn the basic weight movements of squat, dead lift, row, bench. Use light weights for as long as it takes to learn the correct injury free motion.

4. Take time to truly appreciate how much food you require (7 cal per lb? 12 cal per lb?) and how much you're actually eating. Look at the nutrition info on the back! You do it with the car now do it with yourself. If you are a typical Western over-eater you'll be suprised how little food you need if you spread it over the prescribed 5-6 meals.

5. On the same note, when you do have a bad day, maybe after a week on an experimental diet that was too low in calories, and you snap and eat 2 litres of ice cream chased by a cake of chocolate don't be paralysed by guilt. Be objective, be attentive to what caused the snap, the warnings, and aim to avoid it in future. Start again wiser the next day.

6. Carry food with you. It doesn't need to be much. Just a 4oz snap-top tin of tuna or a beef jerky bar. Stash these long shelf life items in the car, at work, at school, or in your pocket along with a plastic fork. A quick tin of tuna or a tasty beef jerky will chase of the munchies until you are back on familiar territory. Likewise, identify where you can get emergency food, such as a supermarket or even buying a couple of beef patties alone from McDonalds (you really can do this), blotting them with a napkin and devouring them.

5. Like everyone says it's about lifestyle change. A tool I like to keep changes on track is the "hipster PDA". Google it. It's just a collection of index cards (I use 6-10) clipped together and stored in your pocket. On the card stack is your personal "operating system" and your additional tasks. You then set a personal alarm (eg. a cell phone or watch) to alert you every set-period. It can be at frequent as every 30 minutes, I use a cell phone set every 2 hours. What this does is tell you to look at the cards. So teh alarm rings or vibrates, you look at the top card, do it or keep it in mind, then shuffle it back down the deck. How deep you bury it depends on its priority - high priority that requires frequent attention or reminders you might shuffle one or two cards back.

In this way, you are forced to confront your goals 2-3 tiems per day. What's more the reminder does not rely on your personal internal motivation levels but on a simple external system, or another way the card stack contains the attributes of the "self" you are moving towards.