1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Shrinkage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by iceman21, Mar 3, 2010.

1. iceman21

iceman21 Active Member

Alright, so it's about time that I have started this process and I would greatly appreciate people to follow me along the way.

I actually started this transformation on Feb 25th, so I am going to copy and paste my journal entry.

Today is the start of my transformation. I joined the Gym here at work and I have begun my workouts. I weighed in today on the scale at the Gym. It looks to me that this scale has had an overabundance of people of my size jumping on that thing, and it’s ready to give out. I don’t know about it’s accuracy. It said 322lbs. That’s right 322lbs. I did not take measurements or pictures but I am planning to in the next several days.

6’4” (76 inches) 322 lbs.

Workout consisted of 25 minutes of walking on the treadmill 3.5 mph varied incline 0 to 1.5 degrees.

Weights: Bench Press, and Standing cable curls, dumbbell curls.

I used way too much weight to start and reached failure too fast. 30 minutes and I was done.

Diet: Have not really cracked down on the diet yet. Water intake has increased and I am working to get to 1 gal per day. Getting ready to get rid of the pop, which is huge. 3-4 cans a day here.

Reading up on JSF and mags to help define what I want to do and where I want to go.

Thanks for stopping by! Comments and criticism are welcome.

2. BJ

BJ Active Member

WELCOME! The first step is starting... congrats on making that decision

3. Moveon

Moveon Well-Known Member

Good Simple Routine

You've got a great simple routine. That's an excellent starting point. It'll serve you well as a starting point that won't be a DE-motivator.

If you want, add one more thing. Squats--something for your legs. You have the upper body covered for right now. No need to add weight. Just do body weight squats. If they are difficult, try using an exercise ball between your back and the wall. Use the ball for support. It will roll up and down the wall helping you keep your balance until you get more strength in your legs. It's just a suggestion.

Welcome to the boards. :tu:

4. iceman21

iceman21 Active Member

Thank you for the suggestion. First blow to the new routine already. One of my kids got sick last night and stayed home from work and away from the gym. Boo Hoo, it is really disappointing, but I will make up for it tomorrow. Back and Bi's tomorrow along with a half hour on the treadmill.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

5. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Interesting title... but if you put in the work, nobody will have anything but good to say about it.

6. iceman21

iceman21 Active Member

Kinda why I chose that title! It got your attention didn't it?!

7. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

Making the decision to make a change is a HUGE start in the right direction. Cutting out soda's alone will give your results a big boost. Good luck.

8. iceman21

iceman21 Active Member

Well it's been almost two weeks since my first posting and I must say that I have disappointed myself a bit in these two weeks. I have not been consistent with my work out or diet. I have changed how I am doing almost everything but I have to work on the consistency. I said I would post pics so here they are from a week ago.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can imagine not much has changed in one week since I have taken those pics, but I do feel better and I can feel it when I miss a workout.

Thanks for the encouragement, it is much needed.

9. misterjingo

misterjingo Well-Known Member

Hang in there iceman and keep on working hard. Have you been tracking your food? I have to or else I underestimate how much I eat daily. I was around you're weight when I started my program (I weighed 317 at one point) and I found that I don't have to over analyze the marcros to lose the weight.

You'll find that once you start doing it consistently and you start seeing results it'll motivate you to work harder.

:gl: Good luck!!

10. iceman21

iceman21 Active Member

Alright so it's been a rough couple of weeks. Got called away to work off site last week, so I missed a few days, and I battled the flu this week and miss all but Monday.

I did, however, have a fitness assessment done today.

Here's the vitals:

6' 4" (76")
    322 lbs
    29 years old

3/26/10
    Chest: 51.5"
    Waist: 49"
    Abdomen: 51"
    Hip: 48"
    Thighs: 25" (R), 26" (L)
    Bicep: 17.75" (R), 18.5" (L)
    Calf: 19.5" (R), 19" (L)

Diet is a nightmare, doing well at work, but I derail at night and I am not getting enough throughout the day.

11. livedog

livedog Well-Known Member

You'll get it :tu: Don't be too hard on yourself as you are beginning. We all stumble, even months into it.

12. iceman21

iceman21 Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well it's been about a month of the new regimin. I am happy but I am not pleased. I fell short of diet goals hard core and I am still trying to figure out the correct workout structure. At this point, I am just happy to be in the gym and blasting my body. I am hoping my work schedule will start to settle down a bit so I can get consistent with the morning and afternoon workouts.

13. BJ

BJ Active Member

1) You have to get your diet right! It's the #1 priority
    2) Morning AND afternoon workouts?!
    3) Have you considered HIT (High Intensity Training)... it would only require you to spend 30 - 45 minutes working out 3x per week. (with no cardio)

14. iceman21

iceman21 Active Member

I am game for anything! I honestly believe my diet is the main factor in my slow progress. I am FEELING results, particularly in my triceps and chest and right now my I am totally feeling my last back and bicep workout.

Afternoon workouts have been cardio on the treadmill only.

15. BJ

BJ Active Member

It would take me too long to go through every detail with you. I'd recommend that you start by browsing through Ca$on's first cut journal...
    http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=44303

My first cut journal...
    http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=47430

And buy this book...
    http://www.amazon.com/New-High-Intensity-Training-Muscle-Building/dp/B000RG1E0C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270821358&sr=8-1

I think it would work well for you. Most important though is to nail down that diet. Start tracking all of your food on fitday or start a BodyShop page and track your food there. VERY IMPORTANT!!!

16. iceman21

iceman21 Active Member

I took BJ's advice and bought the HIT book. I did my first "HIT" workout yesterday. It wasn't done to a T since I am still reading the book but I took the basic principles and went to work. I must say that was the craziest workout I have ever done. I was still huffing and puffing after I got out of the shower. Entire workout was done in 28 minutes and I am wrecked this morning, but I feel great!

17. BJ

BJ Active Member

Good work man! Now you have to stick with it! Make sure you keep up the intensity... I find that I frequently allow myself to give up when I think I'm done rather than pushing for one more.

As far as the book goes... Part I is just an intro... an interesting history, but not required reading until you read Part II (somewhere around page 79)

18. iceman21

iceman21 Active Member

Alright, here's today's workout.

Total workout time was about 20 minutes give or take a few.

Leg Curl 180x8

Leg Extension 200x10

Bench Press 195x8

Bent Over Row 100x10 (this was done with DB instead of BB)

Shoulder Shrug 90x10

Bent Arm Fly 70x14 (not enough weight here)

Tricep Extension 50x10

Overall an alright workout. I am still sore from Monday's workout so I felt like I could have used more weight. I didn't push myself as hard as I feel I should have.

I am stuck with the diet though, I have not gotten serious enough with it. I must prep my food for the week on Sundays, or I will not have a good week.

I feel like I should throw some LISS cardio on a treadmill in here on the non-weight days but I don't know how that fits in with the whole HIT concept.

19. BJ

BJ Active Member

Nope... don't do it... your body needs rest. But you HAVE TO control the diet

20. iceman21

iceman21 Active Member

I am working on that BJ.

What do you think of the workout?