1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Shoulder/Rotator Cuff Strain with Deadlifts?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by TheThirdMohican, Jul 1, 2012.

1. TheThirdMohican

TheThirdMohican Active Member

An odd thing happened twice this week while at the gym. I had never had a similar experience in 8 years of lifting.

I was deadlifting on Tuesday evening and when I went into my working set I started feeling strain in my rotator cuff/shoulder area (on both sides) on my eccentric movement more than the concentric movement. Playing it safe I listened to the pain and suspended my lifts early, choosing to move on to my next exercise.

My shoulders felt fine through my chest workout on Friday but yesterday I was finishing my leg workout with DB RDLs and I felt the same feeling when I started my set with 85 lbs. I quickly dropped my weight down to 65 lbs and my shoulders felt fine.

Right now they feel ok but I am concerned as to why this is happening. Is there something in my form which could be contributing to this? I've felt very comfortable deadlifting for the past year or so.

Thanks!
    Josh

2. TheThirdMohican

TheThirdMohican Active Member

Figured it out. Dropped the weight and focused on keeping my shoulders back behind the bar and took care of the problem. :tu: