1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Should you worry about the amount of good fat you eat?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by GatorDeb, Feb 17, 2010.

1. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

Fish and nuts have a lot of fat. Good fat, but fat. I use an online food logging website (the Body Bugg one) and it recommends 35g of fat per day. Today I had 54g of fat. 18.4 of those came from .79 lbs of swordfish and 14 from Pistacchios. 4.6 from 5 apples (I have low sugar, lower than normal tresholds), 2g from Fiber One cereal, 14.5 from cheese and a Flatout Bread.

Calories for the day 1828, 24% fat, 24% protein, 52% carbs.

Should I try to keep "good" fat below that treshold or only bad fat? Can I eat whatever amount of fat I want even if it's 2-4 times the recommended daily limit if it comes from fish and nuts? Taking into account that calories consumed will always be calories burned - 1000 so the calories are not an issue.

The thing is that the website has a # recommendation instead of a % recommendation. If only nuts and fish weren't so high on fat. And then there's the question of if you like your %, can the raw number ever be too high. I may have to pick and choose fish or nuts and alternate them although I would like to eat both every day. I tend to like even 33/33/33 as a ratio, even though my fat never gets that high. I tend to stick to 20/50/30 fat/carbs/protein.

What I'm having a problem with is the raw # as opposed to the percentage. I like the % but I don't like the raw #.

2. Bt443407

Bt443407 Active Member

As long as you don't allow the fats to get too high on a cutting diet. While they are beneficial, too many may hinder your fat loss goals, by going over your caloric limit. Also, make sure you get the right amount of protein in your diet to preserve/gain muscle. If this is the case, I don't see what the issue is. Focus on getting the right amounts of macronutrients. Some people suggest 40/40/20, some 50/30/20, etc. Use those as a guide

Brian

3. Reno_1ted

Reno_1ted Well-Known Member

Just bear in mind that fat is high in calories, even if it is good fats. So you cant eat as much "food" if its high in fat.

So long as your calories are where they need to be, and you get enough quality carbs and protien, I wouldnt worry about a bit of a perecentage either way.