1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Should women break their workouts into certain muscle groups each day too?

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by JBauerly97, Oct 29, 2008.

1. JBauerly97

JBauerly97 Active Member

Makes sense that they would but just want to make sure. For example, if a woman wants to lift weights but is focusing on fat loss, should they do biceps/back once or twice a week like a bodybuilder would? Then a different body part(s) the next day?

2. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I'd say it depends on her goals.

I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the reason behind breaking workouts into muscle groups is to make hypertrophy more efficient, because each muscle is getting a longer rest time.

So if a woman (or a man) wants to lose fat, and isn't too worried about losing a bit of muscle mass at the same time, then she doesn't need to do splits, and would be just as good with a full body workout. (Circuits, especially, for better cardio effect.)

But if she wants to stay the same weight but get leaner (ie. lose fat and gain muscle at the same time), she's better off sticking with split routines.

3. ZxViCkYxZ

ZxViCkYxZ Active Member

This is happening with me right now. :nod:

4. kecko1

kecko1 Active Member

Well, remember lifting weights gives you a metabolic boost. I like to do a 2-day split because then I've got that boost 4 days a week. It also means I get myself into the gym more often! :)

5. AndiMAC

AndiMAC Well-Known Member

I still have a significant amount I want to lose but what I do is this...

Mon- spinning
    Tues- lower body
    Wed- spinning
    Thurs- upper body
    Friday- boot camp (a combination of fast paced cardio exercises also some weights)

And then recently I have added Sundays doing upper body because I am pretty weak up top. And on Tues and Thur when I do weights I begin with 20 minutes of cardio.

6. alleyes7

alleyes7 Active Member

Hey, so does that mean that if someone wants to gain muscle weight, than they should be working each muscle less than 3 times a week? Right now I'm going Monday, Wed, Friday.. and doing full body each time. Do you think I'd have better results if I went Mon (upper body), Tues (lower body), Thurs (upper body), friday (lower)? I think I prefer doing it all at once, but if I will get better results splitting it up than I would for sure.

7. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. It depends on a lot of factors, including your own ability to recover from full body workouts. At this point, I think you'd do well to simply follow an out-of-the-box plan and do either full body or an upper/lower split, depending on what you personally prefer. There are a number of options you can choose from. If you want to train mostly for strength and some muscle, do something like Starting Strength (get the book - it's a great resource any lifter, male or female, should look into) or Stronglifts (this is what I have been doing since the end of September and have had success adding both strength and lean mass, so you can check out my journal if you like).

Other options that I kind of like are:
    Developing the "X Shaped" Body (upper/lower split)
    Back to Basics (3-day split)

Whatever you do, consistency and continual progression is going to decide whether you get the results you want.

#7 J_W, Dec 8, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  8. alleyes7

alleyes7 Active Member

Thanks for the advice J_W. I checked out your journal--your progress is inspiring.