1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Should I Do Bench Press Alone

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by TonySoprano, Oct 1, 2008.

1. TonySoprano

TonySoprano Active Member

I'm a beginner and had never done bench press so I went with my roommate to the gym and tried to do it

I did ok ...first i did the bar with two 10s...so i guess 65 that was to oeasy but still i needed to work on stabilizing it

then i put on 20 on each side so i guess 85...it felt kind of not heavy but it was the perfect amount to help me work on my stablity

anyways my question is...my roommate is busy with all his college work and sometimes skips a week and stuff

I want to start a serious program (weight liftin wise, already on a good diet) and don't wana skip and stuff

should i try to do light bench press by myself...or is there a "safer" way i can substitute bench

heres what other excercises i do

Row machine
    Latteral Pulldowns
    Shoulder Press
    Bench Press
    (might add tricept extensions)

Legs
    Leg Curl
    Legg Press
    Leg extentions

2. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Yes ...you can.

I've never used a spotter in my life....but there have been times when I couldn't quite get the weight up past half-way etc.etc.

So.....I always made sure I had a safety plan in place. In the early days when I had a super-cheapy bench I didn't lock the weights on the bar....that way if I had to dump it, it would be easy to get them to slide off, thereby avoiding injury ( I hoped).

As I progressed through better benches I bought ones that were sturdy and came with spotter or safety bars on them.

The cheapy benches, it's too easy to overload them wtih weight.

If they say the max weight it can handle is 150lbs. in the manual, you'll be easily tempted to see if it can hold 175 eventually.

Right now you are just starting but after awhile you'll no doubt be up in those figures somewhere.

Looking back, if I had to do it over, I would never buy a bench for home use without safety or spotter bars.....but...hindsight is always 20/20...

:)

3. modmaven

modmaven Well-Known Member

Welcome to JSF!

Bench press is a great exercise. The safest way to go is to take it easy and work on form. Once you can do a few sets at a given weight, then add five pounds until you've nailed that; then add another five pounds next time... At that pace you'll keep building and may never need a spot.

You might also consider learning and incorporating deadlifts and squats into your routine rather than the other leg work you've got listed. These are much more efficient and powerful.

Have fun!

4. Phillyp

Phillyp Active Member

After having failure whilst trying to bench and having the embarasing task of rolling it off you, taking the weights off, putting the bar back and walking out of the gym. I now know how far I can push myself and what it feels like, so if I feel I may fail on my next rep or two ill stop and save myself the embarasment.

There is always the next set.

Or just ask someone in your gym to spot you on your last set, just make sure you tell them what you want them to do, my preference is that they dont go near the bar until it stops but isnt at a locked position, then only use the minimum amount of effort for ME to get the bar up, dont just grab and pull it up, they should be able to do it with two fingers.

5. TonySoprano

Yeah I wana try to keep deadlifts and squats away for a while until I see my doctor in my hometown (living at college)...i had a herniated disk when i was in high school and i DO NOT wana reinjure that so trying to take it easy on the back

but other than that is that a good plan for a newbie...4 day split 2 days upper 2 days lower?

what about triceps and such?

6. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

If you don't have a spotter or a cage then use dumbbells for your bench press. It'll be harder then barbell so you'll use less weight. If you have a problem with dumbbells you don't end up with a bar across your neck

Don't worry about your arms. Almost everything you do uses your arms.

7. TonySoprano

so final answer yes or no?

how crucial is bench press when cutting or just starting out with weights?

8. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

critical....well it's one of the basics muscle builders.

It doesn't have to be a "bench press" just a similar horizontal pressing movement.
    Or as mentioned use dumbells
    Or don't bench with collars on
    Or suck up your pride and just ask....at the gym as much as it feels all eyes are on you....no one cares how much weight you're pushing. If you need a spot, most people will be more than obliging.

If you're just starting, these will probably keep your more than challenged. You could always throw weight in a back pack and make it harder.

#8 Gordo, Oct 2, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  9. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Do it. But learn proper form on it and all exercises. if you don't have a good book then try exrx.net :cool:

10. the_dose101

the_dose101 Active Member

I'd also like to recommend this page, which helped me get some of my form down when I first started with the bench press.

11. petvan

petvan Well-Known Member

Wait till you tweak something in your shoulder benching and the weight comes down full tilt. Locked or not locked, this will cause you considerable strain.

For me, benching doesn't seem important enough to do when one can't do it safely.

P