1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Should I be eating more ?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Phil55, May 15, 2016.

1. Phil55

Phil55 New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Last June 2015 weight was 216lbs, very high fat %. During this time I have been in a constant deficit to lose the fat, I have a coach as I am training for a bodybuilding contest, I have never competed before, this is more about getting into the best shape of my life, and not thinking I can win !!
    Moving on to this May, 56 yr, male, current weight 159lbs, height 5’ 10”, currently train weights 4 mornings per week, average session time 80 minutes. Afternoon cardio has been added to weight training days, 30 mins high RPM on turbo trainer.
    Non weight training days, I have two 30 minute turbo cardio sessions.
    Am also performing 30mins of posing 4-5 X per week.

I have a manual job three days per week.

Currently my weight seems to have stalled, 4 weeks ago, this was about the time all extra cardio and posing was added!

Trainer has me on 1500cals on weight training days, and 1400 non training, however due to the increase in cardio, I am keeping to 1500 everyday.

Purely based upon Harris Benedict calcs I believe I may be under eating !

BMR is 1570

My questions are,

am I under eating
    How many calls should I eat to lose 1.5-2lbs per week

Thanks in advance

Phil

2. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

As I always say, I'm no expert, but my quick answer would be ... yep.

At 5'10" and 159 pounds, you don't strike me as someone who has "1.5 to 2 lbs" per week to lose. What's your end goal? You mentioned a bodybuilding competition -- did you compete? Is it coming up? If the latter, then I assume you're trying to get as dry as possible (from what I've heard), but at that caloric intake and activity level, it seems like you may just be risking losing muscle mass, which isn't going to help your cause.

The bodybuilding competition is what throws me here, but if you were an average joe looking to get fitter, I'd definitely say it seems like you're not eating enough. I'll let others chime in, though.

3. Phil55

Phil55 New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi Volleyball,

The original objective was to just get in the best shape of my life ! we then spoke about me competing in a show, this is in 8.5 weeks time.

According to coach, i have around 15-20lbs more to shift!! he could well be right, my bodyfat scales fluctuate from 20 to 23%BF, this is where the 1.5-2lbs per week come from!

The aim is to get as lean as possible and to get on the stage, i am under no illusions that i will do any better than have completely transformed by body, and to overcome the fear of stage, but also to prove that you can achieve anything you put your mind too!!

After the show the intention is to start preparing for more of the same next year.

I am feeling fatigued much quicker, and not feeling anywhere as sharp as i have been, also lifts in the gym are slowly but surely becoming harder and harder at the same weights !!

Think ive answered my own question, lol.

4. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

I think this right here might be the key word. You said "shift," which implies a change in body composition, rather than weight loss. If you're really at 20-23 percent body fat at 159 pounds and 5'10", I'd say the weight isn't the issue -- muscle mass is. Just losing more weight (especially down to 140 or 145!) is likely only going to cause you to look emaciated, not strong.

Again, I'm sure your coach has far more knowledge than I do, but if you're feeling weak while working out, that's a pretty clear indication you're not properly fueling your body for what you're asking it to do.

5. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    If you are on a cutting diet for a show, and you are currently about eight weeks out, 1500 calories seems right on the money based on your height and weight. You will probably end up going even lower as the show gets closer... at this point, the number on the scale means nothing, and it's all about the body fat percentages. If your BF% is continuing to decrease (even though your scale says you are "stalled") you're doing the right things! Remember, a pound of fat is large compared to a pound of muscle... take a look at this site for pictures of the relative volume between the two:

1 Pound of Fat vs. 1 Pound of Muscle

#5 phillydude, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
  6. Phil55

Phil55 New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thought it might help for people to see where im at right now too.

I think maybe i need to invest in some BF calipers ?

7. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Is your coach not providing this service for you?

macdiver likes this.
  8. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Hey Phil55, exceptional progress!

IMO you do seem to be under-eating, but I don't have enough information to say that with any certainty. My main question after reading your first post is, why are you not discussing this with your trainer? I mean, you're paying him for his expertise, and you definitely don't want to undermine that. If you don't trust your trainer, it's time to find another one.

macdiver likes this.
  9. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

20% seems high to be stepping on a stage. A quick cut to sub 10% to be stage ready would require a very low calorie diet.

Definitely something to discuss with your trainer.

10. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    If the coach knows his stuff, he could be down to 10-12% in eight weeks. But it's not going to be easy (or fun) and it will require 100% compliance.

11. Phil55

Phil55 New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi Guys, thank you all for your comments and input.

I purposely left the thread hanging so i could adjust and report back.

I am please to report that i have introduced more calories, i am now up to 1800 a day, feeling more energy all round, more strength and the scales are on the move again, but i can also see the difference visibly.

All is good for now once more