1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

SHAVING: How and how long to grow back if you look dumb?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by MGB, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Destiny

Destiny Well-Known Member

LMAO!!! :lol:

2. BamaDave

BamaDave Well-Known Member

I always told myself that I would never shave any body hair, but did actually trim my chest a few weeks ago. Most of it was back within a couple of weeks. I liked it shaved, but was sort of annoyed that it came back so fast. I'm not sure whether I will trim it again or not. If my wife had been all over me or something following the trim, then I would be more incentivized to keep it up. :D She doesn't mind my chest hair, although I am not exactly a gorilla. If I shaved my pits or arms or legs, she would probably think I had lost it. :eek:

3. themuss

themuss Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I really want to shave my entire chest/stomach region, but I have a lot of thick hair, and also my skin is very sensitive, if I use a traditional razor, I will develop extreme itchiness and rashes. I'm thinking the only way is an extremely painful WAX, or use an electric razor, any ideas?

4. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Using different razors and especially good technique can help immensely. You should go in one deliberate stroke over an area with the hair (not against it). Wet the area and then apply a light amount of gel or cream before shaving. If you normally get bumps after using a one-bladed razor, try one with multiple blades, or vice versa.

After you shave it the first time, keep up on it and there will be less chance of bumps or irritation.

5. DeafNgari

DeafNgari Well-Known Member

Ive found my chest has gotten more use to it so to speak. I dont get nearly the bumps or soreness. Ive learned from some mistakes like going running after I shave it (on the same day). The sweat and the rubbing at the waist line can cause servere irriation (for me at least).

6. cz3ch

cz3ch Well-Known Member

It usually takes 2 weeks + for it to grow back but it depends on the person. I shave my entire body once a week or so. it works pretty well for me and makes the muscles look good. As for the back, my girl helps me with that but i can usually reach around and get the lil patches of hair.

I'm also heavily tattooed so it makes the ink stand out more....

You can always go get waxing or a sugar rub, both are expensive and the waxing hurts bad.

cz

7. richparsonsx

richparsonsx Well-Known Member

someone had touched on it but I didn't get all the info I wanted so i'll just say it deliberately...couple questions:

what kind of razors work best for you...i have heard women's razors are better than a traditional men's facial razor but i am not sure if that is true

do you use like a sensative skin shaving gel

do products like nair work just as well

i'm a hairy bastard and just don't like the way it looks so i'm thinkin about doing it and know that if I do i will get compulsive about keeping the look up like I do with dang near everything else (this is a guy who dry cleans as much as he washes). just let me know some of your inputs.

8. ShadowPenguin

ShadowPenguin Well-Known Member

lol. i used to think THAT was way more than i would ever think about doing....but after the first time (on a bet) i was sold! :lol:

my girl digs it...and what she says goes. Its gotten to be more of a skill really, you gotta do it in quadrents :nod: :lol:

Luckily i dont have any chest or back hair to begin with, and i think i'd feel way too weird shaving my legs. :d_eek:

9. inurb

inurb Well-Known Member

Any guys here go to an actual salon or hair place to get an upper body wax? I would be way too chicken to go and do that myself. :d_eek:
    I guess if it was more acceptable for guys to do it I might not be as reserved about it.

10. ShadowPenguin

there is NOTHING even remotely gay (not that theres anything WRONG with that :tu: ) about having a hot chick wax your chest.

All the girls at my Salon are SMOKIN HOT and i'd start waxing if i wasnt so damn scared ...and if i had any chest hair to begin with :lol:

#50 ShadowPenguin, Aug 30, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2004
  11. DeafNgari

DeafNgari Well-Known Member

Man be very very glad you dont have chest hair... ive got it and some back and it is the bain of my existence.

12. Chris_Otto

Chris_Otto Well-Known Member

Want some of mine? I have plenty to give, oh want some back hair thrown in for free too? :D

13. ShadowPenguin

lol, nah.

and i dont have to really worry about ever getting any , my dad doesnt have any either.

On the other hand I do get my gut from my dad, so i'd gladly exchange some body hair for some easier cut abs!

now my mom...not sure about her :eek:

14. Rishi P

Rishi P Well-Known Member

wat about nair for men...is that good..i was thinkni of using that...ne one use that ever?

15. inurb

inurb Well-Known Member

It's the same thing as nair for women. It's just in a different more masculine bottle instead of the pink one. Just watch out not to leave it on too long because it will burn your skin.

16. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

If you have even mildly sensitive skin, don't use Nair. Stuff burns something fierce.

I am extremely hairy. I'm afraid I'll be mistaken for the missing link one of these days when I'm in the middle of nowhere ATV'ing. I started using a trimmer with a No. 1 guard to get used to being "manscaped" from the legs up. I'll progress to trimming the legs when the BF% gets back to 11%. I'll shave myself into a bald piece of chicken when I hit 10's and lower. That should be interesting to get used to.

17. kingink

kingink Well-Known Member

I was thinking about shaving and think the trimmer will work nicely. Has anyone here tried the laser hair removal?

18. ShadowPenguin

lol because of this thread i got curious and decided to shave my armipts....and i must say it feels GREAT! :D

i was alway disturbed doing lat pulldowns or shoulder press's...pretty much anything that involves raising your arms above your head..and seeing that mess of hair.

This looks and feels so much better. So i now shave something south AND north of the equator. :spaz:

19. BRobinson

BRobinson Well-Known Member

Sorry to brag, but I don't have to worry about body hair. For some reason, the only body hair I have is the baby-fuzz clear, white hair lil' kids get. My dad's the same way, 50, minimal body hair. Very convenient, especially since it means I only have to shave my chin every week or so to keep a clean look about it. Genetics are a beautiful thing...

20. RichLockyer

RichLockyer Well-Known Member

Ya... looks, feels, and smells way better. A lot cleaner on the shirts too.
    You may get some ingrown hairs, but I found that after about 3 months of bi-weekly shave-downs, it's as painless as shaving my face.

Now the other area is a bit more painful on the regrowth. I scuba dive with a drysuit, and there is a valve that many of us use that allows us to... properly hydrate ourselves without concern of having a problem after 5 hours in the water :)
    Of course, the condom catheter is adhesive, so a "moat" is required :eek: