1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

SHAVING: How and how long to grow back if you look dumb?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by MGB, Jun 25, 2004.

1. MGB

MGB Well-Known Member

I wonder if anyone here shaves....including legs. I shaved off upper torse hair lat week (man, is that weird!) and was thinking doing legs too....so I can track progress, or lack thereof, more closely. BUT if it looks really stupid, I want to know how long for it to grow back.

Any comments on experience are appreciated.

#1 MGB, Jun 25, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2004
  2. txitalian

txitalian Well-Known Member

I imagine that it is different for everybody. For me, the first time shaving my legs is a pain because it takes so long. After that, I just have to touch up every few days or so. For me to grow it back to "normal" it took 2 weeks or so. It definetely increased definition. I didn't know my legs had visible veins!

Jason

3. MGB

MGB Well-Known Member

I have seriously underdeveloped legs...so concerned that shaving them will make them look even more under developed...also, not sure what I'd like to dude walking around in shorts with no hair on his legs :)

4. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I shaved my body for swimming. Factoring in that I'm a teenager, it'll probably take anywhere from one to four weeks, probably close to two, to regrow whatever you shave.

I don't know if it was just me, but regrowing the hair was a horrible experience. First it's smooth and that's awesome, but right in the middle of the time it took, any movement hurt like a thousand needles pricking my skin. Just something as little as a muscle twitch could cause horrible horrible pain. :d_frown:

5. DeafNgari

DeafNgari Well-Known Member

I shave my back and chest on a regular basis now... at first it felt to strange now I cant stand to let it grow. As for my legs and arms, I just keep it really short (as I tend to have long hair). I take my buzzer and buzz it to a 1 or 2 (2 usually for legs) just so I dont have to deal with shaving it or getting in grown hairs on my legs. At 1 or 2 my legs look hella ripped compared to when I just have my normal leg hair. I dont see a problem shaving them, but I personally I have a lot of hair and have other things I rather do with my time than try to get rid of all of it.

6. Wamsutta

Wamsutta Well-Known Member

How the heck do you shave your back? I have a fairly hairy back/chest/shoulders, myself, and I can only do my upper back myself. Meaning I'd look like a toolshed with a half-hairy back, haha.

I shaved my entire torso once. It looked ok, but as has been said, it was horrible growing it back. For honestly the next 3-4 weeks, I had to sleep on my back, otherwise I'd get chest hairs digging into each other and it was awful.

7. supirman

supirman Well-Known Member

I first started shaving my legs last year, but mine were big so nobody could say anything bad to me, and I was a manwhore so there was nobody calling me gay either. Personally, I'm disgusted by body hair and like to shave it all off. My girlfriend, however, requires me to have leg hair now, though she does like everything else shaved off.

I had girls comment on how my legs were nicer looking and smoother than theirs last year ;)

My calves were 17" and quads were 28.5. Now they're more like toothpics since I herniated a disc in my back last year.

I say shave everything. If it looks dumb, it only takes a few weeks to be back looking fairly 'normal'.

8. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

supirman - your girl must hang out with mine. she loves me shaving everything except my legs and armpits (i wouldn't do those anyway, did it once and it's very uncomfortable feeling).

i shave my arms with a bic about once a week. however i am not very hairy at all so it takes forever to grow back for me. to keep my face looking "clean cut" i only have to shave it once every few days. :) damn i'm 25 and still can't grow a beard!

9. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

LOL! :lol:

10. supirman

yea, my girl has just feels that I should have hair on my legs, even though it looks freaking disgusting. She's never commented on the armpits, though I usually just trim them down a bit b/c I'm too lazy to keep up with shaving so much surface area. I'm almost 23 and can't grow a full beard yet either. I'm not very hairy, but it seems I'm slowly turning into a grizzly like my father. Oh how I hope that doesn't happen, it's just disgusting!

11. supirman

Figured that would be amusing :) Most people tend to think it's "gay" to shave your body as "men are supposed to be hairy". Screw that, I'm all about aesthetics and comfort. Squatting 600 lbs, benching 450 lbs and having a new girl every couple of days doesn't leave much room for someone to call me a homo...

But I've since settled down, I've found my true love and getting engaged soon. Yay me! :D

12. Knubb

Knubb Well-Known Member

Ever heard the word "over-compensation"? :whistle:

A friend of mine actually called me "the gayest straight guy he ever met". I took that as a compliment. :D

On the topic, I've been thinking about shaving my bodyhair. I can't see why not. I have so very little anyway, and I obviously don't mind being called gay.

13. txitalian

txitalian Well-Known Member

I shave my armpits :o

feels so much cleaner, if you will. Pain in the butt though, at least it doesn't grow back too fast. Now that I think about it, I shave everywhere but my forearms :lol:

Jason

14. inurb

inurb Well-Known Member

I "manscape" which is just trimming hairs down to the skin. I do the same thing with my arm pits. Just take a beard trimmer and trim the hair down as far as it lets you. It keeps things neat and tidy, girls appreciate it ;)

15. DeafNgari

DeafNgari Well-Known Member

As for shaving your own back... you gotta be hella flexible.. I can do it but it takes a REAL long time for me. I dont do it by myself anymore. I enlist the help of someone very understanding.

16. tensdanny

tensdanny Well-Known Member

shaved the legs, look much better. i need them to get ripped now.

17. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Congratulations supirman!!! All the best to you both!

18. supirman

Thanks! I'm getting anxious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! July 19th is the magic date.

19. supirman

I can't even reach my lats.... my girlfriend uses my beard trimmers to get the tiny amount of hardly visible hairs on my back that I'm so anal about :)

20. French Spirit

French Spirit Well-Known Member

I'd feel really silly and metrosexual if I shaved off the moderate amount of chest hair that I have...