1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Shaving Chest?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Lucky13MN, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Lucky13MN

Lucky13MN Well-Known Member

Seems most guys on here do it, at least from the pics I've seen...

I've done it on occassion but just keep it short right now. Problem I had is I'd always get red dots after shaving...

Any tips?

Best razor, best shave cream/lotion, etc?

2. txitalian

txitalian Well-Known Member

I personally use a Mach III Razor and Gillette gel for sensitive skin. One word of caution, be careful shaving around the nipple. I cut the hell out of mine a while back! :lol:

Jason

3. reanimated838uk

reanimated838uk Well-Known Member

Dont shave against the grain. Alternatively wax the suckers off :lol: :d_eek:

4. rubberbandman

rubberbandman Well-Known Member

I don't know if I'm weird or what because I haven't heard anybody mention the technique that I use. I don't want to go bald completely so instead I spend 5 minutes in front of the mirror before my daily shower to pluck the stomach hairs and hairs in certain places on my pecs. I Just try to keep it under control. I personally think having chest hair isn't so bad as long as you don't have your whole torso covered.

Oh and I am relatively hairy, not on my back or anything but my chest and stomach are pretty well covered. Spending only a few minutes plucking each day you won't notice a difference for awhile but you will stay ahead of the growth rate and maintain it well. I think it looks more natural than going bald. That and my girlfriend would just make too much fun of me if I shaved it off. Not that I'm afraid of being made fun of but you gotta keep the lady happy.

If I ever wanted to go all the way though I would absolutely wax. I can't imagine having stubble on my stomach and chest. EEWwww

5. escher

escher Well-Known Member

I hate my hair so I get rid of it. I use the Mach 3 as well, and do it every couple of days. I think your skin gets used to it, and doesnt get irritated anymore, unlike the first few times! Waxing is nice as it lasts longer, but it takes someone to do it, and it might leave a red mark behind for a bit. I suppose its all preference. Nothing wrong with keeping it, but nothing wrong either with getting rid of it.

6. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

Rubberband man

I could never do that...you pluck hairs every day...that has to kill...

I prefer the Mach 3 with Neutrogena shaving cream...that stuff is awesome! Hardly any razor burn if any at all.

7. BamaDave

BamaDave Well-Known Member

I only shaved my chest once - last Summer. I liked the way it looked, but was irritated by how fast it grew back and have never bothered to shave again. If my wife had raved over it, it would have been worth keeping up the shaving. But instead she asked me whether I had scraped my chest hair off with a barbell. LOL!!!! She is used to seeing those hairless scrape marks on my shins from doing deadlifts.

At any rate, it's just a matter of personal preference. It wasn't worth the trouble for me. It does make you look younger and more defined.

8. Mick Mauldin

Mick Mauldin Well-Known Member

Mach 3 all the way dude. I tried waxing and all of that jaz but just trust us on the mach 3. I shave against the grain and rarely have any razor burn. If you tan though, use lotion (tanning lotion) if you're tanning after you shave. I've done it a few times and the first time I tanned right after shaving, I was itching like hell in that bed! :p It was crazy! :spaz: So, I use lotion in that situation now...tanning lotion.

9. rubberbandman

it's actually strangely cathartic. Maybe I'm insane...who knows. shaving sucks though!

10. Lucky13MN

Lucky13MN Well-Known Member

Had to look that one up...

Cathartic:
    "An agent for purging the bowels, especially a laxative."

Odd...

11. DaveFlutie

DaveFlutie Well-Known Member

Wow I almost spit out my drink after reading that...hysterical.

12. yirmeyah

yirmeyah Well-Known Member

Once my chest gets hairy enough that I'll want to shave it (should that day come), it seems best to me to just use something like one of the sideburn trimmers you can get (some electric razors have one that pops out of the back). It gets the hair short enough that it's not even visible unless you're maybe two inches away and you don't have to deal with shaving cream and risk of cuts, etc.

13. JoeBiron

JoeBiron Well-Known Member

I recently shaved my chest (Mach 3, Edge Gel) for the first time. I gotta say, if any of you out there are cutting and you've never shaved before - try it. I was astonished at how much better I looked. The hair just smooths out the definition and diffuses the light. With the hair gone, I look totally different. I didn't want to put my shirt back on! I'm definately staying bald now, and I can't wait to get a tan!

Red spots - yep, I got those. Not too bad though. Also nicked a birthmark, but after a few minutes of bloodletting it was fine. I also used my Braun electric razor to go over some spots afterwards. It's been 3 days now and I have stuble, which is a bummer, but I'll pay that price in exhange for a much better visual representation of my physical state.

14. rubberbandman

Cathartic

adj 1: emotionally purging [syn: psychotherapeutic] 2: emotionally purging (of e.g. art) [syn: releasing] 3: strongly laxative [syn: evacuant, purgative] n : a purging medicine; stimulates evacuation of the bowels [syn: purgative, physic, aperient]

had to scroll down on dictionary.com to find it....it definitely doesn't have that bowel effect on me!! :p I was going for the emotion one...

I guess I should know all the definitions of words before I spout them off!

15. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Shoulder, arms, back, chest, stomach, I'm hairy like a chimp.

If I were to get waxed, there would be a month long candle shortage.

Think of all the unhappy kids birthday parties!

Shaving your chest... blech. If you cut yourself shaving, don't drip blood on your skirt! :lol:

16. paranouei

paranouei Well-Known Member

I'm with yirmeyah, I'm doing the same right now. I discovered it accidentally, I wanted to shave my chest for the first time and I tried with my Mach 3 but the hair was too long and it didn't work properly. So then I thought, OK, I'll cut my hair first with the sideburn trimmer of my electric razor, and then I'll shave. When I was trimming my hair with it, I discovered that it looked great, almost like if I was completely shaved, and no pain, no cuts, it was great. When I finished, I decided that I didn't need to shave so I left it like that and it looked great. Since then I'm using this method and I have no problems at all.

17. JoeBiron

Same here. I shaved a week ago and now its a light fuzz, but the effect is the same. I'm all set with shaving, I think. More bang for the buck using the trimmers.

18. never2old

never2old Well-Known Member

I'm a little like rubberbandman with the cathartics, I think. I haven't progressed to the whole chest yet.

I started shaving my armpits just last year. It got to be such a wire-brush-like crop of seaweed under there, and chafed and pulled so much, I just decided it was time for it to go. (Of course some of that chafing and pulling before shaving was no doubt because of my flabby arms and chest.) I shaved and I've never looked back. I used an electric razor which did its own chafing in the early months - a painful burn. But now, I think the skin has gotten used to the razor, or maybe my handling of the razor has improved. I can say absolutely that shaving the pits had nothing to do with looking good - it was all about feeling less irritation.

As for plucking: one thing that's intolerable to me is to have whiskers on my ears! I pluck there religiously. I read somewhere that plucking damages follicles. If true, GOOD. My ears are one place where I hope all the follicles get plucked to death in my lifetime.

I really don't care very much, how good or ugly I look naked. Mirrors don't do much for me, except to provide desired feedback. If I start shaving my chest, it'll more likely be because I've begun to care about new things. So at this point I might ask the wife for input...
    -Martin

19. Avanti

Avanti Well-Known Member

I don't have a hairy chest, but if I want to remove my "treasure trail" I use hair removing cream, its amazing! No rash, irritaiton, cuts etc. The skin is smooth as a baby's bum afterwards. It lasts a lot longer than shaving also.

The one I use is from Collistar, an italian brand; Depilatory cream for Men , it also works well on the face and the intimate areas if you are into that sort of thing. :D

#19 Avanti, Jan 18, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  20. JoeBiron

Hair inside the ears is one of those jokes your body plays on you as you age. Its like "oh yeah, you lasted this long eh? Well how do you like THIS! HAIRY EARS! HAHAHAAH!"

Another cruel joke played on me is that one pec is covered with hair in a whorled pattern. The other has light coverage in a regular pattern. I also have thicker hair on my stomach than I do on my face. WTF!?! :d_mad: