1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Shades of Gray

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by gray, Oct 18, 2008.

1. gray

gray Active Member

removed

#1 gray, Oct 18, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  2. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

:wave: hiya gray! good to have another westcoaster on jsf. we're a bit outnumbered.

sounds like you have a great plan.

the college gym will definitely slow down. the first weeks of school and the first weeks of january will be a bitch.... but the rest of the year is doable. it helps to figure out what times are ideal.

at least the busy times usually provide a decent amount of eye candy.

anyhow.... good luck with your goals!!

3. gray

gray Active Member

Monday, October 27th:

MON
    Normal Bench Press (8x2, 7x1 @ 105)
    Pull-ups (9x1, 7x2, 6x1)
    Close-grip Bench Press (8x1 @ 75, 8x1, 7x1 @ 65)
    Barbell Rows (8x1 @ 80, 10x2 @ 70)

I failed today on the bench press without a spotter, but good thing the benches are all really close so I was just able to call out to the guy next to me and he helped lift it off.

I'm pretty sure I didn't have much glycogen in me today, but it was a good workout nonetheless. I also did abs but I don't feel like I need to list those.

Dinner was all healthy but I let myself have some Italian rum cake and a coconut cookie (those white swirlie ones?).

4. gray

gray Active Member

Tuesday, October 28th:

TUES
    Power Clean - excluded
    Deadlift (8x1, 10x1, 12x1 @ 155)
    Front/Back Squat (8x1, 10x1, 10x2 @ 115)
    Seated Calf Raise (12x3 @ 35)

My upper back was injured a while ago and it became agitated again, so I left out the power cleans because I think it's my trapezius.

This was my firs time doing front squats, and they hurt my wrists way too much. I'm going to move Bulgarian split squats to Tuesday. So I did two sets of front squats and 2 sets of super slow back squats w/ the same amount of weight.

On another note, my calves are incredibly weak. I always knew these as I've had quite a few cramps in them --- incredibly painful and debilitating ones.

And, as always I did more low intensity ab stuff. I'm going to stop mentioning it...

I tried to do double overhand grip on the deadlift, and I did it for 1 and 1/2 sets, but I had to switch to mixed grip. I figure I'll keep trying to strengthen my grip, and no biggie if I have to switch mid-set.

5. gray

gray Active Member

Wednesday, October 29th:

HIIT session today. Had an apple and piece of cheese, then later an orange and cup of strong coffee to break my fast. Then did HIIT for 15 minutes, getting my HR to a max of 186. I did 50% hard, 50% easy, with an exception of 30 extra seconds that were easy. My chest started to hurt at the end, which is weird. I've been doing this for a long time.

6. gray

gray Active Member

Thursday, October 30th:

THURS
    Military Press (8x1 @ 80, 8x1, 7x1 @ 70, 10x1 @ 50)
    Chin-ups (3x6)
    DB Flyes (10x1, 9x1 @ 40, 10x1 @ 35)
    Lat Pull Down (8x1, 10x2 @ 80)
    Seated Row (10x3 @ 80)

Had to use my knees a little bit for the military press. Also used a bit of momentum for chin up number 6.

7. gray

gray Active Member

Friday, October 31st:

FRI
    Back Squat (10x2, 12x1 @ 155)
    Romanian Deadlift (10x3 @ 110)
    Standing Calf Raise (12x3 @ 145)

I did something a little different with this workout so I could get back to the dorm sooner for Halloween. I didn't wait after breaking my fast. Instead I had about 20g of mango juice, a few gummies, almonds and a whey shake, biked to the gym, lifted, left. Tonight I'll likely party it up a bit.

8. gray

gray Active Member

Saturday, November 1st:

Woke up with a bit of hangover today. I had a bowl of ice cream, some jello and pudding for breakfast. Even though it was a rest day I went for a run out in the rain with a dorm mate.

9. gray

gray Active Member

Sunday, November 2:

Didn't do HIIT but did have another frisbee game. Played another undefeated team and won 7-5. I had a pretty cool TD catch where I ended up on the ground. I also got whacked in the face pretty hard while covering a guy -- left a bit of a welt on the eye. It was very fun though.

I'm going to try the Anabolic diet, along with my IFing. Not sure what to expect but I do believe cutting out carbs will do good things for my mood, appetite and energy levels. I've lately been paying attention to how they effect me so I think I can say this.

I'm going to cut drinking and smoking until Thanksgiving break when I go and see my friends again.

10. gray

gray Active Member

Monday, November 3rd:

MON
    Incline Bench Press (5x3 @ 95, 5x2 @ 85)
    Pull-ups (5x5)
    Close-grip Bench Press (5x3 @ 85, 5x2 @ 75)
    Barbell Rows (5x5 @ 80)

I did 5x5 because I heard so much about it. Can't say anything about it yet, just wanted to see what it felt like. I did notice though that I was going nice and slow when I only had to do 5 reps. I had some almonds and protein powder with coffee after my 16 hour fast, then arrived at the gym 20 minutes later. I am completely cutting carbs. PWO I had cheese, whey, almonds and cottage cheese.

11. gray

gray Active Member

Tuesday, November 4th:

TUES
    Deadlift (8x1, 10x1 @ 165)
    Bulgarian Split Squat (8x2, 10x1 @ 32.5 ea)
    Seated Calf Raise (10x3 @ 45)

On the split squats my foot slipped off the bench and slammed into the ground pretty hard. Sore toe. It is tough getting the balance down.

Day 2 on the AD, can't say anything yet.

#11 gray, Nov 4, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  12. gray

gray Active Member

Wednesday, November 5th:

HIIT
    Stationary bike: for 12 minutes I did 1 min. easy (level 7 resistance) 30 sec. hard (13 resistance).

Since I'm on day 3 of virtually no carbs I wanted to make HIIT a bit easier, I wasn't sure how my body would react.

I felt a bit lightheaded when I stood up after a 2 hr lecture today, but other than that I've been okay. No glycogen in the legs does make them feel dead, I first noticed this when biking to class and going up stairs; however I think it's possible to overcome this aspect mentally. They feel tired but making them work to the same potential on a carb diet is possible, with more effort and determination.

13. gray

gray Active Member

Thursday, November 6th:

THURS
    Military Press (8x1, 6x1 @ 70, 8x1 @ 60)
    Chin-ups (7x2, 8x1)
    DB Flyes (8x1 @ 40, 8x2 @ 35)
    Lat Pull Down (8x1 @ 90, 10x2 @ 80)
    Seated Row (8x2 @ 80, 8x1 @ 70)

Also did wrist curls to maybe make front squats less painful.

#13 gray, Nov 6, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  14. gray

gray Active Member

Friday, November 7th:

FRI
    Back Squat (8x1 @ 185, 10x3 @ 165)
    Romanian Deadlift (8x1, 10x2 @ 110)
    Standing Calf Raise (10x1 @ 115, 12x2 @ 100)

*edit* yay, page 2

15. gray

gray Active Member

Saturday, November 8th:

Well it's actually Sunday now. Scheduled rest day today. Day 6 on the anabolic diet. It is getting very hard at this point. I thought the first couple days would be the hardest, but definitely not. I drove home last night, so I woke up this morning in my own bed. I went shopping and broke my fast with bacon and eggs. I also bought heavy whipping cream for the first time (great with my tea), as well as shelled walnuts. Getting those open was tough; I used the back of a wooden spoon and more often than not the walnut was completely obliterated. Tomorrow, HIIT.

16. gray

gray Active Member

Sunday, November 9th:

12 min HIIT. Did 30 sec/30 sec intervals, added in two extra 30 sec rests when needed. Almost didn't workout today, but now I'm glad I did.

I had a lot more power for this HIIT. Maybe I'm more adapted to the AD, but I think it's because I did the HIIT at the end of my 8 hr feeding window.

17. gray

gray Active Member

Monday, November 10th:

MON
    Normal Bench Press (8x2 @ 105, 8x1 @ 95)
    Pull-ups (7x4)
    Close-grip Bench Press (8x2 @ 80, 8x1 @ 75)
    Barbell Rows (8x3 @ 70)

18. gray

gray Active Member

Tuesday, November 11th:

TUES
    Deadlift (10x1 @ 175, 10x2, 8x1 @ 135)
    Bulgarian Split Squat (10x2 @ 35 ea, 10x1 @ 30)
    Seated Calf Raise (I knew I was forgetting something! :mad:)

My knee was bothering me the past week so I'm not 'pushing the limit' on my lower body exercises. My back pain is gone so next week I'll try putting power cleans back into my Tues. workouts. I was really disappointed I forgot the calf raises. I'm going to ditch front squats altogether until my wrists get stronger.

I'll do the seated calf raises I forgot tomorrow after my HIIT.

Day 9 on the AD. Energy levels are fine, workouts are fine, but I still miss my carbs :(, especially the ice cream and whip cream.

19. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

9 days. you're almost done with the hardest part.

got anything planned for the carbup besides icecream??

20. gray

gray Active Member

Wednesday, November 12th:

15 min. HIIT + 1 min. warmup. I did mostly 30/30 sec intervals, added a few extra 30 sec recoveries, then at the end I did 1 min hard (got my HR to a PR of 188!), 15 sec rest, 30 sec hard. Energy levels were low (I fasted for 20 hours previous, minus the pre-workout shake + almonds) but I was surprised I was still capable of achieveing such high HR levels.

10th day on the AD induction (<~30 carbs per day) and I'm feeling fine. I don't know how this diet is going to work out for me in the long run because I miss my fruits. It does beat a low-carb diet though where you just feel like crap most of the time and energy is in constant flux.