1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

SFC's Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by sfc01, Dec 16, 2005.

1. sfc01

sfc01 Well-Known Member

Well I have finally decided to keep an online journal. Since I started changing things up a bit I have been keeping a log of food in and exercise done. Think that I will keep track of the exercise component and physical changes here in this journal.

So where did I start from and why make any changes at all? I've been overweight/obese for my whole adult life - but there was an alarm clock which sounded a few weeks before my 30th birthday. I noticed that my heart was beating erratically :confused: It turns out that the additional ventricular beat isn't immediately life threatening, but it was enough of a warning for me. I don't want to be a thirty-something corpse. As far as epiphanous (sp?) moments go I reckon that this was reasonably robust.

So my starting stats (after some initial confusion on bf% - using the US Army method for consistency now):

6'0" and I would class myself as endo-mesomorphic. Desk job with little or no scope for incidental activity.

15Oct05 - 250# - 33%bf - chest 49" - waist 47" - hips 44.5" - thigh 28" - waking pulse 73bpm (attached image)

From then to now I have cut out major franchise fast foods (except for the odd KFC Zinger burger which I try to fit into the diet once a fortnight to keep cravings in check). I have tried to remain fairly disciplined in when I eat and how much I eat. Kinda tough to explain - previously I would gorge myself until I felt full. Now if I am hungry I will eat something like a bit of fruit or A sandwich and see how I feel in another half hour. I figure if my body is saying that it is hungry then it is time to re-fuel. I haven't had an instance yet where I am still getting hungry signals in the next half hour. Also haven't felt bloated in more than two months, which I am well pleased about.

I have been walking briskly for 30min duration 3-4 times per week and lifting weights every second day rotating chest/back - shoulders/arm - legs/lower back.

I haven't ever felt this fit (and I am a long long way from calling myself fit), never been stronger and self-confidence continues to increase.

So where am I as of today (between days for weights)?

17Dec05 - 235# - 30.25%bf - chest 50" - waist 44" - hips 42.5" - thigh 27" - waking pulse 61bpm

Last nights workout (all weights in kg's - too tough to convert everything!) trying to lift weights to keep in 6-12 rep range less than 6 is too heavy, more than 12 isn't heavy enough:

Stand Shoulder Press: 10/30 8/50 8/55 6/55 10/40
    D'bell lateral raises 3x10/12.5
    Heavy Upright Rows 10/50 6/60 4/65
    Stand B'bell curls: 8/40 10/40 8/40
    Sit D'bell curls: 10/15 10/15 8/15
    Close Grip Press: 10/40 10/70 8/70 9/70
    Lying D'bell Tri Ext: 10/15 8/15 7/15
    Barbell wrist curls: 3x12/40
    D'bell rev wrist curls: 3x12/11
    Hammer Curls to burn: 3x15/11

Half hour walk this morning

That is it... first entry away. Almost. Forgot to list some goals. Increase strength as far as practicable - reduce body fat to 10-12% levels - relatively proportional physique based around 17.5" arms (16.25" cold as of today)

And away we go... :gl:

EDIT 25Jan06... image deleted to clear some space. Latest pic in 30Apr06 post

#1 sfc01, Dec 16, 2005
    Last edited: May 1, 2006
  2. sfc01

sfc01 Well-Known Member

Woo Hoo! Did 5x1 Chins over the space of an hour this morning.

On all previous attempts I have never been able to complete a single chin-up. (Obviously this is all un-weighted stuff). Next stop 5x2 Chins... :claphigh: Baby steps everybody.

Leg/lower back workout this afternoon. Lunges. I hate lunges. But they HAVE to be good for me don't they?

3. sfc01

sfc01 Well-Known Member

Lunges. I hate lunges. I think that I trained a bit too soon after lunch. Well it looked like lunch when I saw it again. :cry:
    The nausea was a bit too much to get through the lower back section of the workout.

So this is what I got up to (weights are kgs)

Squats 8/40 8/90 8/30 almost didn't get up on the 3rd rep 8/80 8/80
    Lunges (I hate lunges) 12/30 12/30 8/30 lunch re-visited 4/30 wasn't going to let that stop me finishing the programmed reps
    Calf raises 15/130 15/130 15/130

And here I sit green as Shrek and twice as ugly... :eek:

Going to work on my John Wayne walk for a couple of days I think...

Bugger. I enjoyed that lunch too. :whistle:

4. webalienz

webalienz Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've tried lunges as well and did not like them one bit. I'm thinking maybe in a month I'll add them to my routine, once I feel my legs are conditioned enough.

5. sfc01

sfc01 Well-Known Member

Felt a bit better when I got home last night so got in my crunches as well.

Feel guilty for not completing the lower back portion of the workout. But I left everything I had on the floor. Been quoting Arnold this morning at work where I've got a co-worker who I sometimes train with. "Many times I have thrown up at the chim" hahaha

Any way crunches last night...

first set to failure - 80 - 30sec rest - 50 - 30sec rest - 50 bilateral intercostal crunches - 30 sec rest - 20 super strict to finish with.

Starting to get the onset of DOMS in the legs now. :D No walk this morning.

Tonight is a programmed rest night but I am going to take the opportunity to slot in a chest/upper back workout. Just going to make sure that I've got a few hours between last feeding before hitting it.

6. TarSeal

TarSeal Well-Known Member

Great job losing 15 lbs!:tu:

7. sfc01

sfc01 Well-Known Member

Thanks Travis!

I was surprised by the waist redux. I knew that I was muffin topping my pants less and had come in a couple of holes on the belt but it was most satisfying to record that measurement.

8. sfc01

sfc01 Well-Known Member

Boooeeeeyyy... (I don't know how you'd say that either)

Just finished chest/upper back with no loss of containment! Feel a lot better for it as well. It felt like a productive workout. Either went up in weight or reps on all exercises.

Flat Bench 12/40 8/80 just 8/75 7/75 9/70
    Incline Bench 8/55 9/55 9/55
    Flat d'bell flyes 12/15 12/15 12/16
    Pull ups first time inclusion happy to get ANY out 1+2x1/2 3/4+1/2+1/4 3/4+1/2+1/4 I'm counting the quarter reps for now :flex:
    Pullovers 11/27.5 11/27.5 10/27.5
    Bent over rows 12/50 12/50 12/50

That is all for today. Going to go and enjoy a PWO shake and some food.

9. webalienz

Before coming to this forum, I had really only paid attention to what the scale had said. But measuring yourself is a great way to keep track of what is REALLY going on with your body. My thinking is that if the scale doesn't move much, but the inches around the waist are shrinking, then I must be doing something right! :tu:

Keep up the great work! :gl:

10. sfc01

sfc01 Well-Known Member

Last night I squeezed in Arms/Shoulders between work and meeting some friends for dinner. I thought that I would be fine without time for a shower given that I wouldn't classify myself as a sweater. Buh boh. Fortunately I didn't smell as that would have been hideaously embarrassing. Still I was really glad that I took the time to get the workout in - on some excercises I dropped weight for expedience in order to shift same weights I would have needed extra rest time which I flat out didn't have

Shoulder press 10/50 6/60 8/50
    D'bell lateral raises 8/12.5 8/12.5 10/12.5
    Heavy U/R rows 10/50 6/60 6/65 time to go up in weight with these
    Standing d'bell curls 7/20 10/17.5 8/17.5 not going to use the b'bell for a while started getting a sore wrist, will source an e-z curl
    Seated curls 7/17.5 8/15 9/15
    Close grip press 8/70 7/70 8/70
    Lying tri ext 9/15 8/15 9/15
    Hammer curls 12/12.5 12/12.5 12/12.5

Finished up work this afternoon for a month. A month of dedicated diet and exercise. Really looking forward to the time off.

Now if I could just get my Christmas shopping finished... :bang:

11. sfc01

sfc01 Well-Known Member

Christmas shopping is completed...

Quick update picture as of just now. (Excuse the dodgy gaze!)

I hope that everyone has a safe and Merry Christmas!

Cheers,

Scot

EDIT 25Jan06... image deleted to clear some space. Latest pic in 25Jan06 post

#11 sfc01, Dec 23, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  12. webalienz

:claplow:

Wow man! Keep it up!

:bb:

13. sfc01

sfc01 Well-Known Member

Well we are here, and we are trying!

Is it wrong that I am thinking of how I can surreptitiously use my cousin's kids as weight lifting equipment over Christmas? :confused:

14. webalienz

:lol: Maybe undo some lights in a tall hallway or something and be like "Hey kids, let me lift you up there so you change the light bulb for me!" :lol:

15. sfc01

sfc01 Well-Known Member

Fit in a quick work out on Boxing Day

Bench 10/50 12/75 2x9/75
    Incline 10/55 2x11/55
    D'bell Flys 3x10/16
    Pullups 1+2x3/4 2+1/2!!!!! 2x3/4 + 1/2
    Pullovers 3x12/27.5
    Bent Over Rows 3x12/55

Went down the coast for a couple of days so I only got in walking/jogging yesterday. So today is make up day for arms/shoulders.

I am going to seriously attend to my cardiovascular fitness over the next couple of months. I am finding that with exercises like bench/incline press it isn't muscular strength which is limiting my lifting but lactic acid. My CV fitness is pretty poor IMHO so I will have to start off with baby steps and build my way up.

Anyway arms/shoulders will be later on this afternoon.

16. sfc01

sfc01 Well-Known Member

Did 1 hours I don't know what you would rate it as LIIT/MISS? Walking with intermittent running as far as my lungs/legs would take me this morning. It was already getting pretty hot when I started off so I wound up red as a beet by the time I had finished!

Yesterdays Arm/Shoulder workout (in addition to the 400 balls I hit at the driving range to really give the skin of my hands a royal workout)

Shoulder Press 8/55 8/55 6/55 a bit higher weight than last time
    Lateral Raises 3x12/12.5 time to go up in weight, but need to make sure I am keeping strict form, gets hard at the end of the set
    Heavy U/R Rows 10/60 6/65 4/70 up in weight from last time
    Standing D'bell Curls 2x12/17.5 10/17.5 will go up in weight next time and try to get out 8 reps
    Seated D'bell Curls 11/15 10/15 12/15 again will go up in weight and try for 8 reps
    Close Grip Press 10/50 10/70 11/70 9/70 try for 12 reps next time
    Lying D'bell Tri Ext 12/15 9/15 12/15 not sure what happened in second set but positive failure was the result, will go up in weight next time
    Hammer Curls 3x12/12.5 this is a burn set but I got the 12 reps out a bit too easily. Will go up in weight next time

No weights today. Supposed to be leg day tomorrow but it is a friends 30th and they have organised a bush walk bbq thingy. I think it would be counter productive to tax the legs if I have to get a couple of hours walking in as well. My chest is feeling recovered, so I think that I will cycle in a chest/upper back workout in the morning.

Don't think that I will be online again before '06 so HAPPY NEW YEAR to anyone who reads this! :guitar:

17. sfc01

sfc01 Well-Known Member

What a few days of resisted temptation can do for the psyche!

The friends 30th on NYE was a veritable smorgasbord of evil food stuffs. Steered clear of all of the sweet foods (you'd think that it was a 3rd birthday rather than a 30th!) Stuck to the salads and a couple of small pieces of sublimely barbequed steak. The bush walking activity was converted to an air-conditioned car activity in light of the insane heat here in Melbourne on NYE. At one point the thermometer in the car I was in was reading 44degC (111degF).
    I designated myself the driver for a couple of mates such that I could avoid imbibing to excess. It is one of those things which are difficult in a party situation 'cause beer tastes sooo GOOOOD :drool:

New Years Day wasn't much better in terms of temptation. A Greek mate of mine invited me around for a barbeque on NYD (apparently Greek Orthodox Christmas as well). Ummm, when you arrive and see a whole lamb on the spit roasting away you just KNOW that it is going to be a wonderful day. Yet again I tried to stick to the vegetable based dishes, avoiding alcohol and choosing lean cuts of meat as well as chargrilled octopus tentacles (never tried them before - they are so choice!).

A quick 9 holes of golf this morning with the boys and then a lunch date at a local winery (can anyone see the recurring theme here?). Fantastic salad and ocean trout with a glass of wine. (Again opted myself as the designated driver). Beautiful clear skys and warm day, all I needed was a date to round out the perfect lunch. :cry:

Of note I haven't shifted on the scales over the holiday period but my abdomen and hip measurements have dropped another 1" since last official measure in. Starting to get into some of the clothes at the back of the cupboard as well. :tu:

Instead of a date I got... Chest and Back Day!!!

Flat Bench 12/40 12/75 11/75 10/75
    going to go up in weight next time
    Incline Bench 7/60 8/60 7/60
    stay at this weight and go for 10-12 reps next time
    Decline Bench added for first time so was trying to find weight range 12/40 12/50 12/55
    will start with say weight as incline next time
    D'bell flat flys 3x9/17.5
    stay at this weight next time and increase reps, felt really good today
    Pullovers 3x12/27.5 can't fit anymore plates on the dumbell. May have to invest in another couple of 5kg plates
    Pullups 2-3/4 2-1/2 1-3/4+1/2 almost got three out first set :claphigh:
    Bent-over rows 10/60 2x12/60 need to watch spinal curvature and form in general. Tempted to reduce reps and go up in weight next time so I don't have to hold the spine straight for as long. The abdomen is bunched up as well putting pressure on my diaphragm which makes breath control interesting as well.
    Dead-lifts first time back on the slate in a while 10/90 6/115 4/140 no more plates for the barbell - will increase reps rather than spend $$$'s buying more 20kg plates.

Cardio day tomorrow.

18. webalienz

Isn't that such a great feeling? You know, I'm halfway tempted just to throw my scale away altogether. :lol: Right now, as long as my strength is going up and my waist and hips are going down, I could really care less about the scale.

Keep up the great work! And try to stay cool! :D

19. uRi

uRi Well-Known Member

way to go ! great job so far. :tu:
    i hope you have a " hidden security puke bag" at your gym now ;)

20. sfc01

sfc01 Well-Known Member

I don't go to a commercial gym. I've got my own basic setup at my place. 20 yard dash to the lav if needed. Been putting off the next leg workout though. :whistle:

Did an hours MIIT this morning. Covered the same route as 30th Dec but increased the duration of each running interval. Baby steps but my performance and recovery are improving.