1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

SFC - Sober February Challenge

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by AzDesertRhino, Jan 26, 2008.

1. specialk

specialk Well-Known Member

I had no intention to drink during the Super Bowl but with 4 minutes left in the fourth quarter I was loosing my resolve and drank some red wine. Not a good decision on my part and I'm not going to try to justify it in any way. That being said I still want to continue not drinking for the remainder of the month.

2. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Like they say in New York... Fugheddubaoutit :nod:

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Good advice. :nod:

4. AzDesertRhino

AzDesertRhino Active Member

A milestone in my transformation!! The first time I haven't drank during a Super Bowl in as long as I can remember.

5. Rise

Rise Active Member

This month has been very difficult already, to say the least. Just a lot of peer pressure across the board. Last night I played my first billiards league game and it was my first time shooting pool in a long time. I'm the 2nd lowest rank handicap (I'm ranked 3 of 2-8, 8 being the best player) and I played against a rank 4 player. I was down 3-0 in the match and the opposing player had to get to 4 matches where I had to get to 3. I ended up winning the next 3 in a row (hooray!) and we won the overall team match. My team captain/friend insisted on buying me a drink for winning my first match while the floor-girl was standing right there and I basically had to explain why I didn't want a free beer which no one could grasp the concept of. Anyway, after about a minute of defending my not wanting a beer, I was finally left alone but it was definitely a close one for me. Well, I was only left alone for about 5 minutes before the shot girl walked by and tried to get me to buy some shots - I had no trouble turning her down though and she didn't even ask me more than twice :p I guess that time I convincingly said no.

Also, I don't know why it is so much harder to turn down buying a drink from a girl in a small dress. :confused:

arg, only... 22 days to go! I don't know if I'm gonna make it through this month. :bang:

6. LateStart

LateStart Well-Known Member

I didn't join the challenge because my sobriety wasn't planned to start ....

... until yesterday (Wednesday, February 6, 2008).

I am with you folks in spirit, though. I'm giving up alcohol for Lent (hope saying that isn't a violation of the board rules :D). Doing that will actually carry me through the rest of Februaury and most of March.

My short term motivation is simple: For years, I have said that I could easily lose more fat if I just gave up beer and wine. Well, I guess I am about to test that theory. I don't remember for sure but I believe it has been close to 35 years since the last time I went several weeks without any alcohol. :o Nothing too extreme these days but I do generally have a few beers every night and a glass of wine with dinner.

My 9-year old son bet me $30 I won't make it. :lol:

Long term, if I don't miss alcohol terribly during the next 6 weeks or so, I may just let it go forever. Or not. We shall see ...

Anyway, good luck to all. :tucool:

7. AzDesertRhino

I made it through the Superbowl and still staying clean. :tucool:

8. EMac

EMac Well-Known Member

Same here... i think the superbowl was the toughest challenge.

Keep it up everybody!

9. Rise

Rise Active Member

haha, superbowl was a cakewalk for me - i stayed home! :)

it's this weekend that's the hardest... $1 beers from 10pm-12am at a bar my friends are all going to... :doh:

10. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

I'm still hanging in there, but temptation has been giving me a big old stink eye for the last couple days. It's coming to a point where I could probably find the rationale in a beer or six, but I will fight it.

Tomorrow will be hard. Taking the kids to see their Grandma (my mom). Three hours there and I'm ready to drink turpentine :blank:

11. AzDesertRhino

Basically 1/3 of the way there everyone.

Hang tough, don't let the day to day struggles trip you up.

:tucool: You CAN make it another day if you desire!!

12. Rise

Rise Active Member

i had a rum and coke on Saturday night :doh:

it wasn't even good.

oh well. that's the longest I've gone without a drink since high school, probably - about 40 days. not that I'm a big drinker to begin with but it was nice to have the streak go on for so long. I'll keep trying for the rest of February I guess.

13. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

You should, don't let one drink spoil all that good work.

Personally, I feel like I'm cheating as I haven't been on a night out since NYE. I'm trying to start a new business and need to save all the money I can for that. Going out has therefore taking a back seat due a) the actual cost of the night and b) the cost in the time I waste afterwards.

One of my old drinking partners comes back from 2 years in Australia in March. Let's see how long I can go after that...

14. specialk

specialk Well-Known Member

That made me laugh because I know exactly what you mean.

You my dear friend have got the attitude to make it all the way.

Congratulations. BTW I've given it up for lent.

15. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

I caved yesterday. 7 beers. Not good. Not happy with myself. Tasted good at first but the aftertaste (proverbial) was bitter. I am picking myself up, dusting myself off and committing to the rest of the month. Sorry brothers. :blank:

16. AzDesertRhino

A person can't beat themselves up if they slip, or hell, fall flat on their face. If your goal is to give up alcohol, get up, brush yourself off and get back on track.

I can't count, and don't care to count, how many times I fell flat on my face in an attempt to give up alcohol.

I drank several times a week for years. I don't mean a couple of beers. 8 to 10 beers at a sitting, maybe throw in some Southern Comfort. Wind up getting ignorant drunk, feel like crap for a day or two and, for me, be stupid enough to do it again.

I could write a book on the problems and situations drinking caused for me and my family. Maybe some day I'll start a different journal and recount some of the idiocy.

I finally got to the point of mental toughness that when I said I was going to stop, I stopped. It's a day to day thing for me now.

I can sit here now and say I won't drink again but to be honest, it will be a challenge to keep the promise I made to myself.

Anyhow, sorry for rambling on. You can do it if you really want to. If I can, you can!:tu:

17. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

We're halfway there. Have a great weekend, everybody, and stay strong!

18. AzDesertRhino

Reached another milestone in my transformation.

Today was 3 months without alcohol.:tu:

Over 1/2 way through the month at this point!!

19. Lo0p

Lo0p Active Member

You are a machine. Your abstinence is impressive!

20. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

Well, it seems I actually have a challenge ahead after all. I've not been out socially this month so far so it's been easy. But this Monday I have a corporate poker event in which they supply free booze. Last time I got wasted and stayed in cash game until 4am but I still made some money. This time I intend to stay sober all night and leave once I bust out so I can get an early night. I almost hope that I don't do that well, the last poker event I played at I came 2nd.