1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I like that philosophy. :)

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    When my alarm went off at 4:30 this morning I uncharacteristically hit the snooze button. And a few minutes later did again before turning off the alarm with the intent of getting up. Next thing I know it's 8. :eek: Obviously, my 6 AM workout didn't happen, but I plan on going to the gym this afternoon to move some iron.

When I was at the market this morning I bought a small chuck roast that I'm currently cooking and softening with my Sous Vide apparatus. The side is going to be spaghetti squash that I'll add sautéed garlic and mushrooms to and season with salt and pepper.

Have a great day!

dejavued likes this.
  3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ooops. I thought I posted this yesterday. Good thing there's automatic draft saving.

Truth be told I really wasn't into working out this morning, but I knew that if I went I'd feel better afterward. And I did. Pretty much an average performance.

Dinner tonight remains to be decided because I don't know who is going to be home. If it's just me and dear son I'll throw him a bone and make linguini and clam sauce with a salad; if one of the Seltzer women are dining at home I have to come up with something else since they're avoiding carbs at dinner.

Today's Update

I was planning on making today a scheduled rest day, but I'll likely do some pushups and go for a walk. No running because I did so yesterday after the gym.

It was just me and dear son last night for dinner and I made the aforementioned linguini and clam sauce. Dinner tonight is going to be meatloaf that I'm going to cook on my kamado to give it a smoky flavor and the side is going to be cabbage with bacon, onions, and garlic. It's a new dish for me to make, but I have all the ingredients and it sounds tasty. As the saying goes, "What could go wrong?" :lol:

Nothing social going on tonight; my plan after dinner is to read. Wild times!

TGIF!

dejavued likes this.
  4. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Side dish sounds very interesting. Let me know how it turns out.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The dish was well received and I'll be making it again. A little time consuming, about an hour, but easy and not labor intensive.. Let me know if you want the recipe.

Update

Saturday morning fun at the gym. Lots of core and shoulder work. This afternoon I'll probably go for a walk with wifey and dear dog.

I'd peg the odds of us staying home tonight at about 75% and since dear son will be out I'm going to make smoky black bean burgers with a side of roasted asparagus for a totally meat-less meal. Also, while I have some downtime, I'm currently making a hearty tomato sauce using pork rib trimmings.

Have a great day!

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I went on a very pleasant 3 mile walk with wifey, dear daughter, and dear dog.

We will be home tonight and I'll be making what I previously wrote about.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Had a good workout this morning; assorted squats, rows, and some core work. Everyone who trained yesterday morning had sore abs, including me and wifey. No mercy from our esteemed trainer as he just laughed (evilly I might add) when he was informed of this.

After the gym I went on a 1.7 mile run. No Garmin so no pace data and in a short while I'm going to go on a 3 mile walk with wifey, dear son, and dear dog.

No cooking tonight as wifey is going out with some gym friends and the kids are going to dinner with my sister. I'll likely make a combo dinner of leftovers.

Have a great day!

8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Nice weather for a walk. Enjoy.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Finally we're getting some seasonal weather.

Have a great day!

dejavued likes this.
  10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Three rounds of:

Kb squats
    Kb step ups
    Incline Db bench presses
    Incline Db skull crushers
    Lat pulldowns
    Pushups
    Standing Bb curls
    Planks

I wasn't entirely accurate when I wrote three rounds as it was more like 2.5. Toward the end I ran out of gas and had to take rest breaks so I couldn't finish the scheduled routine.

Dinner tonight is going to be spaghetti squash topped with the hearty pork rib trimming tomato sauce I made a couple of days ago and mozzarella cheese.

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'll be going on a short run in about 60 minutes.

No cooking for me tonight because I'm going to dinner and a concert with a friend. I'll be out later than usual for a Tuesday which means that I won't be a happy camper when my alarm goes off at 4:30 so I can be ready for the gym.

Have a great day!

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    1.7 miles at a 12:18 pace. Not exactly a Macdiver performance.

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

That is a nice run. I don't have the breathing issues you have so your running is more impressive than mine.

Seltzer likes this.
  14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the encouragement.

Update

My buddy and I didn't stay until the end of the concert, which would have gone on past midnight, so although I didn't get my usual amount of sleep I was better rested for my morning workout than I anticipated and I'm happy to report that I had some redemption from Monday's subpar performance. There were 3 different circuits of 3 exercises with each circuit being 4 repetitions. Geez, I'm not sure that last sentence was close to be grammatically correct, so Jaer no judgement please :-).

Dinner tonight is going to be portabella mushrooms stuffed with sautéed spinach, onion, garlic, and white mushrooms. I'm also going to bake the remaining smoky black bean and beet mixture that was the entrée for dinner a few nights ago.

Have a great day!

dejavued likes this.
  15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Gym fun:

4 rounds of:

Lateral sprints
    Db one leg dead lifts
    Db floor chest presses
    Stability ball twists
    Jump squats
    TRX mid rows
    Bicycles

Dinner tonight is going to be grilled flank steak, a garden salad, and roasted eggplant.

Have a great day!

dejavued likes this.
  16. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Of all the ways I've had eggplant, roasted is not one of them. How do you do that?

Jaer
    isn't growing eggplant this year in the garden, cause there are always way too many, but he might still pick some up from time to time.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I wound up not making the eggplant yesterday, more on that below, but my plan was to deskin it, season it with garlic, and roast on a baking sheet with EVOO for about 30 minutes, adding a little lemon juice at the end.

Jaer, I leave all the growing of food to wifey; we've never grown eggplant, but she has some new ideas up her sleeve that she wants to attempt this year and that may be a consideration.

Update

Starting off with food stuff, it's almost certain dear son won't be home for dinner so I'm going to take advantage of that and make eggplant curry (he doesn't like curry) for dinner. If I get ambitious I'll also make naan.

I don't know what dear daughter and her BF's plans are after dinner, but for me and wifey it's going to be a quiet evening at home.

Earlier this morning I went on the same run as a couple of days ago. No Garmin so no pace data, but it felt that I was moving at the same sloth like pace.

TFIF!

dejavued and macdiver like this.
  18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The gym portion of my day is in the rear view mirror. Lots of squat-esque exercises, weighted step ups, heavy rope fun, and burpees. Just because who doesn't like burpees? :rolleyes:

Wifey and I are going out dancing tonight at the clubhouse of an organization we're members of; it's an early-ish start and there won't be any food so dinner tonight is going to be sandwiches we'll buy at a local deli. Clearly more sustenance than healthy eating. The kiddos are going out on their own.

We'll also likely get some additional exercise by walking a few miles this afternoon in a park that has one of the country's largest displays of cherry blossom trees.

dejavued likes this.
  19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

We'll also likely get some additional exercise by walking a few miles this afternoon in a park that has one of the country's largest displays of cherry blossom trees.

Of course you are speaking of Branch Brook Park. DC has nothing on NJ. :) Enjoy.

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

I'll have to remember the park and trees. We've did the DC cherry blossoms a few years back and my wife would like to see them again but this is much closer than DC.