1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Another day in April and another day of snow. WTF? Temps are going to eventually high enough that I'll let Mother Nature take care of the clearing, but for the record I am not happy about this. Enough is enough. Winter be gone!

I have a couple of hours of errands to take care of this morning and when I'm done with them I'm going to go for a run.

Starting tomorrow AM we'll be taking care of our next door neighbor's 14 year old child for five days.

Dinner tonight will be decided when I go to the fish market. I'll also add that the top round I cooked last night, which is by far not my favorite cut, was amazingly tender after I sous vided it for 6 hours, cold shocked it, then brought it up to temperature as I previously described. The process was long, but there was very little labor involved.

Should be a quiet night at home tonight and wifey and I will be at the gym in the morning.

TGIF!

Merk and dejavued like this.
  2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

You are the best neighbor ever.:nod:

Merk and Seltzer like this.
  3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thank you for your kind words.

Update

60 minutes of fun at the gym with wifey, our usual Saturday morning crew, and the addition of some new members. Wifey stayed for indoor cardio and I came home and ran outdoors. Based on how my running went I may have to petition the New York Road Runners to shorten the distance of the NYC Marathon. The stats were 1.75 miles at a 12:36 pace. Sadly, I wasn't dogging it.

Dinner tonight is going have shrimp as the protein, pasta, and a romaine lettuce salad. If I get some initiative I'll go buy some fresh garlic because we somehow don't have any to make scampi, otherwise I'll figure something else out.

Have a great day!

Merk likes this.
  4. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Hey, you got out and ran. Kudo for running after working out.

5. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I still love my sous vide cooker. One of the best ways to cook most proteins, in my opinion. I hope to try sous viding chicken then finishing on the grill this summer, see if that gives enough charcoal goodness to the super juice chicken.

Jaer
    still hasn't perfected larger cuts like roast, but it's a solid investment just for cooking chicken breasts.

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Mac.

I'm liking the method also especially for the tougher cuts of meat such as the top round I made. Regarding chicken I've done both breasts and thighs with a sear at the end and they were tender and juicy. When I first got my device I tried soft boiled eggs and felt that the time commitment versus the outcome compared to the more traditional approach was totally skewed in the wrong direction so I'm one and done with that.

Update

Despite no posting yesterday I had a good workout at the gym in the AM. Today I was back at it and did three rounds of:

Single arm Db squat presses
    Db two point rows
    Ball slams
    Bosu ball pushups with knee thrusts
    Ab wheel rollouts
    Planks
    Kb Turkish get ups

Dinner tonight is going to be meat loaf that I'm going to cook on my kamado and I'm thinking of making spaghetti squash as the side.

Have a great day!

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I went for a 1.75 mile this morning and for the first time in ages my right ankle, which I fractured 14 years ago, was bothering me. Hopefully it's nothing.

Dinner tonight is going to be baked chicken leg quarters with sides of pickled beets and a salad.

Have a great day!

8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Dinner tonight is going to be baked chicken leg quarters with sides of pickled beets and a salad.

Beets are supposed to help running performance, good choice. Hope the ankle turns out to be nothing.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I didn't know that about beets. Thanks about the ankle.

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    A different type of workout this morning; the intervals were shorter, so were the rests, and we did six rounds.

Spiderman pushups
    Standing Db curls
    Duffel bag rows
    Heavy ropes
    Lateral box runs with three risers
    Broad jumps with burpees

Dinner tonight is going to be baked pork tenderloin as the protein; I'm not sure what the side(s) will be.

Have a great day!

11. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, I've had some pretty good success with the tough cuts or lean meats like venison.

Same. A quick pan sear or or broil on steak of chicken to give it that crisp outside does well. I find buffalo wings are pretty good in the sous vide as well with the broil for the right crunch. I think spicy flavor profiles are great cause it lets the flavors cook in more.

I looked up egg recipes too and was shocked at how complicated they were! I was expecting "put egg in water, bring temp up to ___ degrees. Let cook 10 minutes" but it's a whole complex process.

Jaer
    got the sous vide to make life more simple. He's not making complex eggs. Those are already super easy!

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Jaer, we're on the same page with eggs and sous vide. Thanks for the tip about the wings; I haven't done them yet. When I was at the market this morning I bought a chuck roast on sale that I'll sous vide tomorrow.

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

What are Spider-Man push-ups?

How's the ankle?

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Start in a high plank, normal push up position and as you descend bring your side knee to your elbow on the same side, which also means that you're on one foot.

My ankle is not one hundred percent; there some very minor twinging even when walking. This weekend I'd like to go for a run to give it a tests. Thanks for asking.

Update

It's been a couple of busy days so I haven't been online. I did get a workout done yesterday morning and had a good showing. Today was spent having a new phone system put in and, coincidentally, having my computer being brought back after some upgrades. I'm at the point with the devices that things are functional, but there's more work to be done.

Dinner tonight is going to be at a lakeside restaurant with wifey and dear son.

TGIF!

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Quite the tough workout in a gym that was not prepared for the hot weather. In addition was low. Afterward I went for a run that did not go well and I hope to do much better next time.

Wifey and I spent about 2 hours playing around with our new phone system that I started with yesterday and I believe we're in fine working order.

Dinner tonight is going to be chicken breasts and veggies served or spaghetti squash.

Have a great day!

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Lots of stations this morning for four rounds:

Rower
    Bosu ball squats holding a Db with extended arms
    Kb alternating deadlifts
    Gliders
    Swiss ball knee tucks
    Single arm Db shoulder presses
    Pushups

Dinner tonight is going to involve shrimp, black beans, and a salad.

Have a great day!

17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

In the salad, don't use Romaine lettuce from Arizona. Some people got E coli from it.

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the heads up. The only location information on the package is Salinas, CA, but I'm pretty sure that the location is referring to where the distributor is located and not the growing fields.

Update

Mondays' fun at the gym was three rounds of:

Flat bench Bb bench presses
    Flat bench Db flyes
    Flat bench Bb skull crushers
    Lat pulldowns
    Pushups
    Standing Bb curls
    Leg lifts
    Bicycles
    Crunches

Dinner tonight is going to be salmon baked with Dijon mustard, sautéed spinach, and a salad that won't include Romaine lettuce.

Have a great day!

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

My romaine lettuce says Salinas as well. I thought I was safe but guess I should toss it anyways.

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The odds are probably low that what I or you bought was contaminated, but risk/reward dictates that it's worth tossing the $1.25 or so that I paid and eliminating any chance of illness in the family.

Update

Exercise was a 1.5 mile round trip walk to breakfast with a buddy and later in the morning a 1.5 mile. Not far and not fast, but better than sitting on the couch eating potato chips. :-)

Dinner tonight is going to be thick boneless pork chops that I'm going to pan sear and finish in the oven and served with roasted asparagus.

Have a great day!