1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I really like the location of the house. In addition to being able to walk to my side of town's shopping area, we can walk to a park with open fields, a pool, basketball and tennis courts, a playground, and a baseball field. We also have easy access to bus and train lines as well as 350 acres of woods at the top of my little block. We moved here in 1992 and at some point we will move, but that probably won't be for 5 or so years.

Update

We went out last night with friends to a bar local to where the b'day girl lives and had a very nice time, but for some reason smoking is allowed in the place and it was killing me while we were there and I've been feeling the effects of it for most of today. That didn't stop me from going to the gym where I had a better than expected workout, coughing all the way.

Unfortunately, that's going to be my last workout until probably Tuesday. Today is the anniversary of my mother's death and because she's buried in a Jewish cemetery we can't visit today so we'll do that tomorrow. Once we're done with that we'll head to wifey's father's grave because tomorrow is the anniversary of his death. After that my MIL is hosting a memorial luncheon and since all that isn't enough, a close family member died yesterday so we're driving 2 hours south to the wake. One long day. On Monday we're going back to another wake for the deceased man, the church service, the burial, and then a memorial luncheon.

Tonight's going to be low key.

Have a great day!

#19841 Seltzer, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

My condolences on you and your family losses both past and present.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Mac.

Update

As one can imagine it was an emotional weekend within the context of what was happening all went well. That written, I'm glad it's behind us. As suspected there was no exercising and while I still have time to hit the gym tonight I'm going to pass and just read. Tomorrow I have a full agenda so my only exercise may be walking to meet a friend for breakfast. I'll try to get a run done if I take care of everything else.

Both the memorial luncheon for my FIL and the repast for our other family member were very nice and both were held at each person's favorite restaurant. Nice touch. Eating a full dinner in the middle of the afternoon is not something I'm used to and like last night I will not be eating much going forward. Dear daughter has to eat, however, and I'll be making her request of seared shrimps with vegetables which will be sautéed garlic, onions, and fresh spinach.

Have a great day!

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My only exercise for today has been walking, probably about 4 miles in total, and clearing some tree debris from areas on my property that I know will have to dealt with if we get anywhere near the amount of snow that's predicted. The forecasts are pretty wide, but the sweet spot for all of them is a foot. Aside from a power loss we're set and from what I'm reading it's going to start late enough for me to go to my 6 AM Wednesday class.

I've taken care of a lot of things today, but the most important one was buying an anniversary gift for wifey. Our anniversary is Thursday and I had no ideas and with the impending Nor'easter I was really running out of time, but fortunately came across a gift I know she's going to like at an in town gift store.

Dinner tonight is going to be spinach stuffed pork tenderloin.

Have a great day!

5. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

man can't believe how slammed ya'll are getting with these late storms. stay warm friend!

your pilgrimage is almost to 20000 posts. crazy!!

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    More on the snow below. The number of posts is indicative of the fact that I spend too much time here. :lol:

Update

After not being in the gym or doing any exercise of consequence for three days it felt great to be back at it this morning. We did four rounds of:

Riser sprints
    Kb lateral lunges
    Alternating forward lunges while doing a double heavy rope
    TRX pullups
    Rower
    Box jumps
    Ab rollouts

Although very light, the snow has started as predicted so I have some functional exercise in my future of clearing what will be around a foot of the white stuff. :burr:

Dinner tonight is going to be a braised chuck roast served with a to be determined grain.

Have a great day!

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    We did not get anything close to the predicted snowfall; the consensus bottom of the range for my town was a foot and we probably got about 8 inches. I'm not complaining by any means.

The whole Seltzer family went out around 6 PM yesterday to shovel and clear cars and I spent about another hour this morning cleaning the cars and what came down on the walks after we previously shoveled. After a short break I went to the gym for 60 minutes that was four rounds of:

Riser sprints
    Kb deadlifts
    Ball planks
    Db floor chest presses
    Heavy ropes
    TRX upright rows

After that it was two rounds of:

Ab wheel rollouts
    Bicycles

Safe to say I'm done exercising for the day with the exception of a short walk to dinner tonight with wifey. It's our anniversary which I mentioned a couple of days ago after I successfully completed a frantic search for a present.

Have a great day!

#19847 Seltzer, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I always have to look up some of your exercises, since I don't know what they are. Good thing for the internet.:)

How does your son like being a commuter? I am assuming he is commuter, since he knew about the Port Authority bus terminal closing, and I think only commuters would even notice that in the news.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'll be the first to admit that it wasn't that long ago that I didn't know what the exercises were.

Yes, dear son works in Manhattan on the East Side. He normally takes the train to and from Penn Station, but every once in a while will take the bus.

10. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

happy anniversary!!

Seltzer likes this.
  11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Shamie, I realized that I never answered your question about how dear son likes being a commuter. The answer is that he doesn't relish it in part because he's had a spate of tough journeys in the past few months. Infrastructure issues, weather issues, medical emergencies on his train, and a recent suicide by train. However, he loves working in NYC and he likes his job so I don't see any changes coming soon.

Deja, thank you for your good wishes.

Update

We had a very nice anniversary dinner at an eclectic restaurant in town. Nothing on the menu is straightforward and many offerings include ingredients that most people, including me and wifey, wouldn't know. Our food choices were delicious and the place was packed so it appears they're going to be around for a while and I would go back again.

I think it's just going to be me and dear son for dinner; if so I'm thinking of making shrimp with sautéed spinach served over homemade Old Bay infused egg pasta.

Exercise for the day is going to be a short run. For some reason I've been feeling some faint shin splints in my right shin; it's very disturbing because I haven't been doing much running and if it continues it could be a detriment to me upping my mileage and actually becoming a runner (jogger really) again.

TGIF!

dejavued likes this.
  12. macdiver

Bronze Member

Happy Anniversary (sorry it's a day late). I saw the post about the gift but somehow didn't read the anniversary dinner part of yesterday's post.

Is the eclectic restaurant menu food from different cultures or just unusual ingredients? Hopefully it wasn't the place that paid 1.2 million for a license and you were able to bring a nice bottle to enjoy. (BYOB restaurants are the best.)

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Mac. Regarding the restaurant, it wasn't so much a cultural differentiation among the offerings as unusual ingredients or ingredients served in an unusual way so they had not common name. For instance, one of the sides of my entree was served with a something whose name I didn't recognize and upon inquiry I found out it was foamy potatoes (??) and upon eating them came to the conclusion that they were almost aerated mashed potatoes. The place was BYOB and we did bring a bottle of wine from home.

The new owner of the 1.2 million dollar liquor license has not opened up an establishment to the best of my knowledge, but from what I've been hearing and reading he/she/the group already own a restaurant in town and are looking to open another. One quirk in the law is that if two restaurants are attached, I think there has to be an internal access point, then the license can cover both properties. The first place I know of to exploit this was someone who bought a license, opened an upscale bar, bought the storefront next door, turned into a seafood restaurant, and put in an internal door way between the two. Like you I prefer BYOB.

Update

As often happens last night our dinner plans changed and dear son and I went out with the Seltzer women and dear daughter's boyfriend to dinner. Tonight it's definitely just me and wifey and after two nights of restaurant meals we'll be dining at home. I recently came back from the market with some swordfish steaks that I'm going to grill and serve that with roasted chickpeas and garlic and a garden salad. In other food news yesterday I smoked a couple of pounds of cheese, half Monterey pepper jack and half semi sharp cheddar.

This mornings fun at the gym was four rounds of:

TRX rows
    Dynamic step ups
    Rower
    Drop dead pushups
    Jump squats
    Heavy ropes

My breathing was a bit of a problem, but I hope to go for a short run later today.

Have a great day!

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sunday morning fun. Four rounds of:

Dynamic step ups
    Bosu ball pushups with leg thrusts
    TRX tabletop rows
    Heavy rops
    Kb deadlifts
    Forward box runs
    Db squat presses

My sister invited us for dinner tonight at a local restaurant and we graciously accepted. :-) She arranged it with the Seltzer kids and I'm not sure how this came to be other than wanting to get together and she doesn't cook; it's a vegetarian place that uses a lot of soy products to replicate animal based protein tastes.

Have a great day!

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Be careful, you might enjoy the vegetarian so much, you might get converted. :)

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    We've been to the restaurant a lot, it's been here for about ten years and in walking distance to our house, and for the most part it's very good. It's abundantly clear that it's a veggie restaurant, but they call a number of their dishes by the taste profile they're trying to accomplish and for some dishes you wouldn't know the difference.

FWIW, as much as I like vegetables I don't see me giving up my carnivore card anytime soon. :-)

Merk likes this.
  17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Three rounds of:

Incline bench presses
    Pullups
    TRX table top rows
    Standing Db shoulder presses
    Pushups
    Standing Bb curls
    Decline pushups
    TRX mid rows

It was hard for me to get dressed afterward.

Dinner tonight is going to involve a pork tenderloin and a salad.

Have a great day!

Merk likes this.
  18. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Merk likes this.
  19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Deja!

Update

I went for a 2 mile run earlier today. No Garmin so no pace data, but it was slow and my right shin is a little bothersome. Ugh!

Dinner tonight is going to be shrimp burgers with roasted asparagus.

Have a great day!

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

Hope the shin gets better.

Some info on shin splints.
    9 ways to cure (and prevent) shin splints

It can be caused by a few things such as too much too soon (probably not your case); overstriding (landing on heel with foot out front; running on the tiptoes (not allowing heel to touch ground); or poor shoes. Are you due new shoes?

P.S. Im not suggesting you switch to my type of shoes just wondering how many miles do you have on your shoes.