1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Thanks Mac.

Chewy, as strong as my aversion to the treadmill is I can fully understand using one when outside conditions are not conducive to running. Snow, ice, and single digits are all good reasons to stay inside.

Update

I'm hosting a small brunch for some out of town relatives tomorrow AM so no gym for me. Ordinarily the afternoon would be open, but I have my football pool party so there's no free time there. My thinking, because I don't want to run two days in a row given my history of poor consequences by doing so means that I'll likely squeeze in some planks and pushups in the morning before prepping for my guests.

#19781 Seltzer, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

'Twas a fun day yesterday with family and friends, but it definitely won't be categorized in the "Good" side of healthy day ledgers. I'm back on track today and that included some Monday morning fun at the gym.

Three rounds of

Flat Bb bench presses
    Flat Bb skullcrushers
    Flat Db flyes
    Seated rows
    Incline Db chest presses
    Db bench rows
    Heavy ropes

My right (dominant side) shoulder is getting better, but with exercises that engaged it today, which is most, it still remains a weak point.

Dinner tonight it going to be a riff on a meal from last week. Spaghetti squash with roasted eggplant; tomato sauce; sautéed mushrooms, onions, and garlic; roasted Cornish hen; mozzarella cheese; and ricotta cheese.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Another early Wednesday at the gym. Lots of lower body work: squats, burpees, lunges, mountain climbers, etc.

Dinner tonight is going to be black beans and cauliflower rice.

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Going into NYC on Route 3, there is a big billboard right before the Lincoln tunnel for a new product - Green Giants cauliflower rice. If not for that billboard, I wouldn't know what you were talking about.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I haven't seen the billboard, but have noticed during the past year or so that there are more offerings in the markets for similar products. The mark up for convenience items like that is huge. For the record, I make my own. :-)

Update

Five or six rounds of:

High plank with hip touches
    KB swings
    Heavy ropes
    Lateral sprints
    Pushups
    TRX mid rows

Dinner tonight is going to be shrimp with basil pesto. I'm not sure of the side yet.

Have a great day!

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Ambient temp. of 22F, wind chill of 9F. Wait, run on my gym's dreadmill, or just suck it up?. Option 3 was the chosen one. Two miles. Heroic? Hardly, but it's done.

No cooking tonight because I have a book club meeting. True to form I still have 20 pages to read.

TGIF!

7. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Nice run. 9 degree wind chill is seriously cold.

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Good thing I wasn't running barefoot or going out for too long. :-)

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

After a lousy night's sleep I wasn't feeling as if I had much in the tank, but wound up having a very good workout.

Wifey and I were supposed to meet a friend for dinner tonight in NYC, but the friend called to tell us she's sick. Guess I'm cooking and am leaning toward chicken stir fry. With my extra time I also have plans to smoke my cured pork belly and turn it into bacon.

Have a great day!

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Yesterday's workout went well, but I struggled with this morning's one. I got through it however.

Three rounds of:

Bosu ball pushups with knee thrusts
    Ball planks
    Inverted high plank toe touches
    Heavy ropes
    Ball slams
    Renegade rows
    Planks

I haven't cooked dinner since Thursday and that will likely change tonight; I'll most likely be using the chicken I planned to cook on Saturday. I also smoked a cured pork belly on Saturday and we now have some more apple wood smoked maple bacon.

Have a great day!

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I went for a 1.75 mile run this AM. No pace data.

Dinner tonight is going to be shrimp and roasted cauliflower. Not sure how I'm going to prepare the crustacean part of the meal.

Have a great day!

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Today's workout consisted of 2 different circuits, each done 3 times, of 6 exercises of 60 seconds each that was a total body experience.

Dinner tonight is going to be roasted pork tenderloin with a mango salsa. I'm using frozen mangos, a first, so there's some experimentation with the dinner. The accompaniment is going to be roasted asparagus. In dehydrating news, yesterday I did apples, bananas, and a test of an orange. The orange experiment was a hit so I'm making more today along with some bananas.

Have a great day!

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Today's workout was leg dominant so I'm not going to run. Yeah, somewhat of an excuse.

Dinner tonight is going to be pizza and a salad. One pie will have roasted eggplant on top of a tomato sauce and the other will have the same sauce topped with sautéed onions and garlic.

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I went to bed feeling fine and woke up with a bad sore throat and feeling a far cry from fine. Accordingly, no exercise for me today. Hydration and rest will be priorities and hopefully whatever ails me will leave as quickly as it came.

TGIF!

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I hope you feel better.

Prior day pizza sounded good. Have you tried dehydrating tomatoes?

16. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Feel better soon.

17. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Hope you're feeling better soon! My wife woke up Friday morning with the exact same thing.

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I don't make it very often, but I've got this pie crust down and the pies were enjoyed by all. I've never dehydrated tomatoes, but would be willing to give them a try. What's the worst that can happen? :-)

You know it's coincidental that she and I got sick at the same time, right IROC? :lol: I hope her symptoms are short lived.

Thanks all about my cold. More on that below; I'll just write that I'm just about back to normal today.

Update

It was mostly a lost weekend for me; out of nowhere I came down with the aforementioned cold on Friday and was in bed by around 6. I barely made it out of bed on Saturday, mainly sleeping the day away, trying to hydrate, and get some food in me. Obviously no gym or any exercise and I stayed away from a party Saturday night that I was looking forward to for some time. No doubt it was the right decision. Sunday was much the same as Saturday, but I could tell toward the end of the day that my condition was starting to improve. That said I was in bed by 8.

I woke up this morning almost feeling normal so it seems as if the darn thing left as fast as it came. There was no doubt I was going to the gym and the workout went fine. I definitely started wearing down toward the end, but I can live with that as it was almost expected and certainly no reason not to show up.

Dinner tonight is going to be a white clam sauced served over a combo of spaghetti squash and linguini. I'll also serve a salad on the side.

Have a great day!

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

It's going to be a relatively low key exercise day. I walked 2 miles this morning and will take dear dog for a similar length walk this afternoon.

Dinner it going to be baked chicken thighs with corn as a side.

Have a great day!

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I was on my usual Wednesday schedule which meant getting to the gym about 5:45 for some stretching and then a group workout. Four rounds of four exercises of 60 seconds followed by four rounds of four different exercises for the same duration. It was mainly lower body dynamic stuff, but there were a couple of shoulder and core exercises thrown in for good measure.

After the gym I normally go food shopping and the store's parking lot is generally bereft of cars. Not today as there were many folks running into to do their Valentine's Day shopping: balloons, flowers, cards, cakes, etc. It made me glad I took care of all that already. Speaking of said holiday, I think this is the 36th one wifey and I will be spending together and with one exception I've always cooked her a meal at home. The one exception was very early in our relationship and we went to a nice restaurant that was overwhelmed so we had an underwhelming experience. Tonight we're going out with some friends and I hope that the experience is better than what took place 30 some odd years ago.

Have a great day!