1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I woke up yesterday morning with every intention of going to the gym and dressed appropriately, but to my dismay I discovered that we had multiple frozen water pipes. Bummer and between identifying the pipes and clearing the blockages it took me most of the day. I still could have gone to the gym, but to just sit and read before cooking dinner. I have no plans to move iron today so 2018 isn't off to a great exercising start. I did, however, walk into town to meet a friend for breakfast and I'll be at the gym tomorrow morning.

Dinner last night was breaded chicken breasts, pasta with parmesan cheese, and a salad. I'm not sure about tonight; at the moment I'm leaning toward reheating leftovers: chicken, shrimp, pasta, mushroom/rice pilaf, and salad.

Have a great day!

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Bummer about the pipes. Hopefully none of them burst.

I'm surprised your pipes were frozen. That is normally not a concern for a modern heated house. Is your house 100+ years old and not well insulated? Just curious.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Fortunately there were no bursts. The house was built in 1924 and when we first moved here in 1992 a certain pipe would freeze if the temperature went to about 5F. I remedied that and it hasn't been an issue, but the other pipe that froze Monday did so for the first time. With the upcoming cold I'm going to drip the faucet which hopefully will do the trick.

Update

My first gym workout of 2018 is behind. I'd like to write that it was a great start to the year, but I struggled. My strength was okay, but I had no stamina.

Dinner tonight is likely going to be top round that I'm going to sous vide with a side of potatoes.

Have a great day!

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

My exercise for 2018 has not been up to par, yet I decided to take another rest day as I think I'm worn down. Consequently my exercise for the day is going to be shoveling. The forecast is for less than 5 inches so it shouldn't be terrible; what will likely be worse is dealing with the high winds.

I'm not sure about dinner tonight; the top round was never made last night so that's a possibility.

Have a great day!

5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Which is worse, shoveling snow or raking leaves? :)

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Although I'm no fan of the cold, I prefer shoveling if only because there's a higher level of satisfaction. Neither falls into the "fun" category. It's still snowing here and gusty; total accumulation should be about 5 inches, but due to the wind won't be evenly distributed.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I got most of the shoveling done yesterday, but due to the aforementioned gusts and some more accumulation I had to go out again this AM to clear the property. No gym for me today, but I'll be there tomorrow AM

Dinner tonight is going to be pastrami on rye bread with cole slaw and pickles as the sides.

TGIF!

8. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

If your snow was heavy like mine and drifted over again as much as mine did, then shovelling the second time was a good workout in lieu of the gym.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

It was heavy and a good workout, but fortunately there wasn't as much as the initial round of shoveling.

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

My time at the gym was better than my last venture's disaster, but not as good as I had expected. I'll be giving it another go tomorrow AM.

The pastrami saga continues; we decided to go for Thai food last night and there wasn't enough time to finish steaming to the desired temperature and texture before we left so I refrigerated it just short of my objectives and am going at it again today. I think it will be okay as the steaming won't dry it out and the meat I'm sure will hold up.

Our plan for the rest of the day is to stay inside; the high is going to be 10F and the high wind chill factor will -6 so it's not a hard decision.

Have a great day!

11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

The snow that we had was light and powdery. Funny how weather conditions are so local.

The cold is coming to the end after tomorrow. Friday is supposed to be in the 50's. :dreamy:

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

True about the differing conditions considering how close we are. Wifey spoke with her mother, who lives a town or two from you, a couple of days ago and she had conditions similar to yours.

Our forecast is similar to yours temperature wise for the upcoming week; a welcome change from recent temperatures for sure.

Update

I finally had a decent workout at the gym. Like yesterday I went feeling fine, but today's results were much better. Yay! I'll be back at it tomorrow.

Dinner tonight is going to be sous vide chicken breasts that I'll then sear and combine with a paprika cream sauce. I'll make a grain as well as a salad for the sides.

Have a great day!

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I have not yet made it to the gym and probably won't, but that doesn't mean I haven't done any exercise. Like yesterday's post gym experience of chopping ice, lots of ice, I had another round of it today. The back story is that sometime either late Thursday or early Friday our neighbor up the block had the water line connecting the house to the water/sewer system crack. At first it was a slow leak so although it was evident on the outside, they never noticed any drop in water pressure in the house. Calls by neighbors to various municipal departments yielded nothing and the small break eventually turned into a torrent of water that flooded my side of the street and froze about 4 inches thick. Lots of unanswered questions on part, but the reality is that due to the freezing pattern this made getting out of our driveway difficult at best. Repair people with heavy equipment are addressing the water pipe situation now.

While that was going on my street is undergoing scheduled underground pipe replacement by the local utility. Dump trucks, back loaders, front loaders, jack hammers; it's a genuine construction zone. This morning due to the utility's equipment plus a large pile of dirt in in front of my house in addition to what's going on two houses up the block we were unable to leave until late morning and even then it was only after I did some chopping, which may be my exercise for the day.

Dinner tonight is going to be sous vide boneless pork chops and a salad.

Have a great day!

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Shortly after waking up this AM I noticed that my legs were unusually tired, especially my quads, and it took me a minute or so to figure out why. In addition the gym work I've been doing I've also been for the past 4-5 days either shoveling snow or chopping ice, both of which engage my lower body. Fortunately Mother Nature is finally being cooperative, I think this is our first day over 32F in 2 weeks, and I'll be out later this afternoon to do some more chopping of the ice flow that is in front of my driveway.

Dinner tonight is going to be black beans and rice. I'm also currently making a spiced apple trail mix leather in my newly acquired dehydrator.

Have a great day.

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Although the bar was low, I'm happy to write that I had my best workout of 2018. Today's scheme was 6 stations of super sets. We did five rounds at each station before moving on to the next one. Earlier this afternoon I spent my daily about 60 minutes chopping ice; finally getting in and out of my driveway isn't akin to driving on a war ravaged road. As I was chopping some guy in a Ford F-150 stopped and asked, "What the hell happened here?". I told him and he then told me to be careful and avoid having a heart attack.

My first attempt at making fruit leather did not go well; it's tasty, but certainly not leather. Dinner tonight is going to be grilled marinated flank steak with a side of a mashed potato and mashed cauliflower combo. The veggie is yet to be decided.

Have a great day!

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I woke up thinking that today was Saturday and even went so far as to start some packing for our brief weekend getaway. Even though it finally dawned on me that today is Thursday :bang: I'm still a little "off". My confusion didn't stop me from going to the gym where I had a good workout. Four rounds of:

Agility ladder drills
    Ball planks
    Kb goblet squats
    Duffel bag rows
    Heavy rope fun
    Rowing machine
    Lateral band twists
    Db overhead presses

The genesis of ideas of what I'm going to cook for a given weeknight dinner comes from many sources. Sometimes I or a family member have a hankering, sometimes it's a function of how much time and/or work I either have or am willing to commit, sometimes if there was no prior planning it's a matter of what's in the house, etc. All that gets run through the filter of who will be at home which in itself can be the driver. Such was the situation on Tuesday when I made a dish that dear son doesn't care for since he was out with friends and tonight the mirror image of that will be happening as wifey and dear daughter are out and dear son, being the pasta lover he is, will have said carb as the main course since the Seltzer women are trying to limit carbs at dinner. Exactly what I'll be making is undecided, but I don't feel like making a tomato based sauce so that eliminates a lot of possibilities. Lastly, regardless there will be a garden salad involved.

Have a great day!

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Not much on the exercise front today aside from some very little stretching and sit ups at home. I was going to do planks and pushups, but my shoulders have been tired of late and wanted to give them a full days rest.

I'm not sure about dinner tonight because I don't know who will be home. Dear daughter is away for the weekend so she doesn't enter in the equation, but there's a chance wifey may go out with a friend and dear son yesterday tentatively spoke about having plans. My after dinner plan, regardless of who's around for eats, is to walk dear dog and then read.

I'll be at the gym tomorrow AM and then wifey and I are going to spend the balance of Saturday and most of Sunday at the vacation home of friends of ours.

TGIF!

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I had a really good workout Saturday morning before we left for our friends' house. Including travel we were gone 29 hours and it was a totally sedentary 29 hours. The most active we were was bringing our bags into the house and upstairs to the guest bedroom. :blank: To be fair, that was expected although I was hoping to get a short walk done at some point.

Despite good clean living, and I mean that seriously, I woke this morning with nothing in my shoulders. Of course that meant that my trainer had an upper body workout planned for me and true to form I severely struggled with any exercise that mainly engaged my shoulders. Disappointing to say the least!

Dinner tonight is going to be a baked eggplant casserole with a side salad and maybe an accompaniment of pasta.

Have a great day!

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

As mentioned yesterday that I would, I did a 1.5 mile run this morning. That was in addition to my aforementioned walk to breakfast and subsequent to that a 1 mile walk to get one of my cars from a local mechanic.

Dinner tonight is going to be sous vide chicken thighs with a side of chipotle smashed yams.

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

This morning gym's experience was four rounds of four exercises followed by two rounds of four exercises. All body parts were hit and the format was high intensity, brief duration, and little rest. In between each round there were planks, leg raises, bicycles, and ab wheel rollouts. We were only expected to get about one inch of snow and so far have almost three so I have some shoveling in my future.

Dinner tonight is going to involve shrimp. That's as far as I got.

Have a great day!

#19760 Seltzer, Jan 17, 2018 at 12:34 PM
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018 at 12:40 PM