1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Mac and Shamie, thanks to both of you about my son.

Update

I was at the gym before 6 to get a workout done before driving almost 2.5 hours to the funeral of a good friend's father. The drive home was even a bit longer with a lot of it being stop and go. I don't regret going for a nano second, but I'm pretty tired so it likely won't be a late night.

No cooking for me tonight because both kids are going to dinner with my sister and wifey and I are still full from a post burial lunch we had that the family of the deceased hosted at local to them restaurant.

Since I haven't been running I will not be participating in the annual 8k turkey trot that I've done for years, but will go to the gym.

Have a great day!

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

My Thanksgiving workout is complete and now it's time to start phase 2 of the day which will entail consuming the calories I burned while at the gym.

Have a great day!

3. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

You are doing great if you ONLY eat back the calories that you burned at the gym.

Happy Thanksgiving

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Thanks for the holiday wishes. I hope your turkey day was an enjoyable one. In response to the "ONLY" part of your comment, let's just say it didn't happen. :lol: In truth, I wasn't too bad, but it clearly wasn't a negative calorie day.

Update

Today's going to be a low key exercise day: some walking, pushups, and some planks.

Continuing our family tradition I always get the turkey carcasses and shank bones from the ham because nobody else wants them. Adhering to the request of dear daughter we'll being having corn chowder tonight using a broth made from the turkey carcasses; we have a lot of bread in the house so I cancelled my plans to make a dark rye bread.

Have a great day!

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

The action portion of the day started with 60 minutes of working out. Shortly after that me, wifey, and dear dog went on a 3 mile walk to take advantage of the gorgeous weather we're experiencing today.

Not dinner plans as of yet, but I'm not looking to make anything too involved.

Have a great day!

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Another solid workout at the gym this morning. Aside from some light house stuff that will likely be the extent of my movement for the day.

Dinner last night was pan seared shrimp in a reduction sauce from shrimp shells I made a couple of weeks ago which was served over angel hair pasta. There was a romaine lettuce salad also. Tonight will likely be sockeye salmon that will be hot smoked with fresh lemons and I'll also serve both white and green asparagus. First time we've had the white variety and I'm interested to see if I can notice any difference.

Have a great day!

7. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Ill be interested in seeing if you can tell the difference in the asparagus. Smoked salmon. :drool:

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

We each could tell the differences in taste and texture between the two varieties. Maybe due to familiarity the consensus was for the green, but there was nothing wrong with the white. Given that the white is usually more expensive and you have to peel it, something I did not know when I bought it :curses:, I don't think I'll be bringing it into the house again.

The salmon turned out just fine. I used cherry wood and cooked the filets indirect at 350F in my Big Green Egg, flipping once.

Update

An early evening last night and while I'm tired from the previous days' exercises I'll be at the gym later this morning to have more "fun" :rolleyes: with my trainer.

Have a great day!

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

After warm ups I did 3 rounds of:

Standing Db shoulder presses
    Standing Bb curls
    Db bench rows
    Push ups
    Db shoulder laterals
    Planks
    Bicycles
    Supermans

In about 30 minutes I'm going to take a 2 mile round trip walk to do an errand.

Dinner tonight is going to be breaded and baked chicken breasts with a to be determined veggie.

10. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I wonder why you have to peel the white asparagus. When I first ate edamame (soybeans), I didn't know you are not supposed to eat the pod.:)

The salmon turned out just fine. I used cherry wood and cooked the filets indirect at 350F in my Big Green Egg, flipping once.

:drool:
    I love to eat salmon. Do you buy wild or farmed, or it doesn't matter?

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I read that the skin of white asparagus is bitter. If I had thought about it I should have not peeled a few stalks to see.

What we had two nights ago was wild, but I know I've also bought farm raised in the past. I can't really tell you what the percentage of my purchases are of each variety.

Update

Exercise for the day is going to be a few miles walking and some planks.

Have a great day!

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I bought this thing called - "tile mate" in Staples. You put it on your key chain, and there is an app you install on your phone. The app tells you where the keys are. It works the other way also, press the button the on tile mate device on the key chain, and it makes your phone ring to tell you where the phone is. It has a lot of uses, park your car, leave the tile mate in the car, and it will tell you where the car is located. It is only roughly $25.00. I could have used that when I couldn't locate my car after the Philly Marathon.

I remember what happened with your keys, so I thought you might be interested.

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Thanks for making that suggestion. I have a couple of Staples very close to me, one of which is a few hundred yards from my gym.

Update

5:45 AM fun at the gym.

Warm ups and then four rounds of:

Burpees
    Db standing rows
    Kb swings
    Bear crawls
    Turkish Kb sit ups
    Alternating standing Db presses
    TRX supermans

I tweaked my back a couple of weeks ago and it isn't getting any better so I went very light with the Kb swings. Something about that exercise and me don't agree.

Dinner tonight is going to involve pork tenderloin with a side of a to be determined vegetable.

Have a great day!

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Today's gym session was 4 rounds of:

Kb swings
    Jumping jacks
    Db squat presses
    Planks
    Kb reverse lunges
    Mountain climbers
    Kb figure eights

We're hosting a small dinner party tonight and I'll be serving grilled marinated flank steak, mashed potatoes, and French cut string beans with toasted sesame seeds. Dessert will be provided by our guests.

Have a great day!

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

It's going to be a low exercise day; at most I'll do some walking and stretching.

Not sure about dinner tonight because I'm going to my town's HS football state championship game which starts at 5.

TGIF!

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Wifey's away for the weekend as of yesterday so my time has been and will be spent with various levels of debauchery. The wildness started last night when, as mentioned before, I attended my town's HS football state championship game. The wildness had me home by about 8 and I proceeded to spend a couple of hours with the kids and dear daughter's BF. :spaz:This AM I was at the gym for a tougher than normal workout; the biggest difference was that there was virtually no rests. I somehow survived.

In about one hour I'll be heading into NYC to meet a friend from HS. He's watching his GF's 7 year old so I'm sure we'll have some wild times. I know I'm making a bit of fun, but it's really not an issue and truth be told I'm looking forward to it.

Have a great day!

17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

So in other words you are saving the alcohol, cigars and :madpimp: for Sunday. Enjoy the weekend.

Seltzer likes this.
  18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Yes the festivities will be starting soon. :)

Update

We didn't spend as much time with the 7 year old as I anticipated so me and my buddy spent a lot of time walking; I'm guessing somewhere around 8 miles before going for an early sushi dinner. I was home before 8 PM because......I'm wild!

Coming on the heels of yesterday's tougher than normal workout and the extra walking today's workout needed me to call in some extra grit.

Dinner tonight is going to be St. Louis cut ribs, oven baked fries, and corn.

Have a great day!

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Monday fun with my trainer. After warm ups there were three rounds of:

Standing Db shoulder presses
    Standing Bb curls
    Standing Db front raises
    Standing Db side raises
    Bent over Db lateral raises
    Pushups
    Db bench rows
    High planks
    Leg raises

Have a great day!

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Not much on the exercise front; a walk this AM to meet a friend for breakfast is the extent.

Dinner last night was roasted pork tenderloin and mashed potatoes. Tonight we'll be having pasta (not homemade) served with a tomato sauce (homemade) and both hot and sweet Italian sausage. There will also be a side salad.

Have a great day!