1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Seltzer's Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Seltzer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

My attempt at an evening workout last night was thwarted by a necessary trip to Home Depot that took up about 2.5 hours. Since there were stylistic issues involved I waited for wifey and we didn't get home until about 8:45. [Sarcasm] It was a wonderful way to spend an evening. [/sarcasm]. Dinner was a rotisserie chicken that dear daughter picked up on her way home from the gym.

Exercise for today is going to be pushups and planks. I don't think I'm going to have use of my kitchen so either I'm going to grill something for dinner or we'll order something.

Going forward, my plan is to be at the gym tomorrow AM for a six o'clock strength and stamina class.

Last, but certainly not least I won the opening week of my football pool :dance: so for the next six days I'm a genius and king of the hill. :lol: It would be nice to write the same thing next Tuesday, but my brilliance may be fleeting and I'll likely see vastly different results.

Have a great day!

2. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Just catching up on the journal. Sorry to hear about the medical issues. And the kitchen delays!

I can sympathize with construction woes. We had plenty this summer.

Jaer
    now needs to catch up in other journals.

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Walking in a Home Depot, you can easily put on 10,000 steps there. That is a workout in itself.

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Yes, you know exactly what I'm writing about concerning the construction stuff. All should be done in about three weeks. Thanks about the medical goings on; I'll have more info in a couple/few weeks after more blood work, examinations, and a CT scan.

I possibly hit that mark between my two visits there.

Update

I'm in no manner comparing my situation with what's going on in Texas and the southeast, but the house is in disarray. With reason and purpose, but normality is not a word I would use to describe the situation. Which it's why it's a perfect time to host a dinner party for my book club on Friday, have out of town friends visit on Monday, have wifey's relatives from across the pond stay with us starting next Wednesday, host a holiday dinner party the next day for about ten people, and next weekend have a family party with about 30 attendees. As the saying goes, timing is everything.

I was at the gym this morning at 6 for a strength and stamina class. Waking up early enough to fuel my body and get somewhat limber isn't much fun, but unlike Shamie for me it's only one day a week and I really do like getting so much done early in the day.

I still have an unusable kitchen so I'm not sure what we'll be doing for dinner tonight. I've put together a menu for Friday's book club meeting as well as exploring some take out options in case I won't be able to cook.

Have a great day!

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Dinner last night was grilled hamburgers and a garden salad served on paper plates with plastic utensils. I'm not sure about tonight; I'll know in a couple of hours if I have a semi- workable kitchen. Even if it is, there is still work that needs to be done tomorrow so I'm leaning toward ordering food from a local restaurant for my book club meeting; this will be a first for me as I've always cooked for my guests, but I'm coming to the conclusion that this multi decade streak will be coming to an end.

Exercise for the day is going to be at home: pushups and planks with a (very) little amount of stretching.

Have a great day!

6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Say it ain't so.:)

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Sadly, it is. I'm ordering from a local Italian restaurant and will go out later to pick up appys and dessert. It's a good thing the book was well received because I know the boys are going to razz me about not cooking.

Update

Exercise for the day is going to be the same as yesterday, planks and pushups. I did get some "bonus" exercise this morning after dear dog decided to leave the premises and I had to run after her. By the time I caught up with her she was on the other side of a busy road so I'm very thankful that some late to work commuter didn't hit her.

The house continues to be a construction zone, as expected; we're making do, but it's a topsy turvy way to live with nothing being in its rightful place.

TGIF!

8. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I can relate to your kitchen woes. A multidecade streak? How long have you been in this book club?

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I've been in the book club for a little over eight years. The streak I was referring to was having any guests over the house.

Update

All went well last night and once the boys saw the state of the house there was virtually no razzing about me not cooking and instead I garnered some praise for going through with the meeting and not rescheduling it. I ordered too much food so there are plenty of leftovers that we will be having for meals this weekend. Other than reheating it doesn't look as if I'll be doing much cooking, but that's going to change next week. On Monday a friend who I've known my entire life is coming over with his wife. On Wednesday a cousin of wifey's from across the pond, his wife, and their three children are coming to stay with us. On Thursday we're hosting a dinner for about ten people to celebrate the Jewish New Year. On either Saturday or Sunday we hosting a party for wifey's family so that everyone can spend time with the aforementioned cousins. If everyone comes the headcount will be about thirty.

From a cooking perspective I didn't have to put a whole lot of effort into hosting last night, ate responsibly, had one glass of wine, and was in bed by 10:30. So, of course :rolleyes:, I woke up feeling less than stellar and blew off the strength and stamina class I normally go to on Saturdays. The extra sleep has me feeling better, but I'm itching to do something active. I may hit the gym for a solo workout this afternoon, I know I have some functional exercise putting some rooms back to their normal state and wifey and I will be going on a very leisurely walk to a fine arts and crafts fair in town. We have no social plans tonight and given the way I'm feeling I'm looking forward to a low key evening.

Have a great day!

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I started off the day with a solid workout and I'm taking a brief break from doing some household projects. Later this afternoon we're going to my MIL's house to go over some legal work and there will likely be dinner involved.

Have a great day!

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I was at the gym for my normally scheduled Monday session with my trainer. After warm ups I did 3 rounds of:

Incline Bb bench presses
    Incline Db flyes
    Incline Bb skullcrushers
    Lat pulldowns
    Push ups
    Standing Bb curls
    Planks
    Leg raises

The house is still in disarray, but we should have a functioning kitchen and dining room by tomorrow. That won't help for tonight when we have some friends coming over for dinner so we're going to a local restaurant.

Have a great day!

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Not that I'm moving anything heavy, but today's exercise is going to be carrying a lot of kitchen stuff up from the basement as well a 1.5 mile roundtrip walk to a local hardware store.

It's just me and wifey for dinner tonight and I'm leaning toward seafood, crab cakes perhaps and a salad? Staying with cooking stuff, much has changed. Wifey's relatives who were supposed to arrive tomorrow are not coming until Saturday so I won't be cooking for them. Thursday dinner crowd is not up to a dozen, which isn't that big of a change. Also, the family party that was supposed to be on Sunday is now on Saturday. It's going to take some imaginative planning to be able to get to the gym that morning and still have time to be prepared for guests while the contractors are still here.

Have a great day!

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Were you happy with the way the kitchen came out?

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Yes, I'm happy with it. More importantly, wifey is also. :)

Update

I was at the gym at 6 this morning. After warm ups that included too many pushups IMHO, we did four rounds of:

Kb swings
    Pushups
    Planks into pikes with gliders
    Heavy bag cleans with a squat
    Burpees with lateral box jumps after each one
    TRX table top rows

There was one additional exercise in the sequence which came after the pushups that I can't remember. :bang:

Our dinner plans changed last night; instead of making what I wrote previously I used some of the chicken meat from the chicken I used to make matzo ball soup for tomorrow and made chicken salad with a side garden salad. Tonight I'm going to be grilling shell steaks with a to be determined veggie as the side.

To all who celebrate, happy new year.

Have a great day!

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Happy New Year. I am off from work for the holiday Thurs & Friday. Today is my Friday. :)

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Thanks Shamie. Enjoy your long weekend.

#19576 Seltzer, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  17. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

What's a shell steak?

Jaer
    is imagining some kind of horrible crab-cow monster with tender meat under a tough external plate armor.

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Close. It comes from an armadillo; hard plate exterior with tender meat underneath. ONLY KIDDING. I've never understood why there's so little conformity in the industry when it comes to naming. According to Serious Eats:

Sold As: New York Strip, Kansas City Strip, Top Sirloin (which has nothing to do with the Sirloin primal of the steer, or the Sirloin Steak, which is an entirely different cut), Top Loin, Shell Steak (when sold bone-in), Contre-filet

Where It's Cut From: The Longissimus dorsi muscle, towards the rear-end of the steer in the Short loin primal (that's the primal just behind the ribs)

What It Tastes Like: Tight texture with a definite grain means strip steaks are moderately tender, but still have a bit of chew. Good marbling and a strong beefy flavor. Not as robust as ribeye, but much easier to trim with no large pockets of fat, making it an easy-to-cook, easy-to-eat cut. A favorite of steakhouses.

The Best Way to Cook It: Pan-frying, grilling, broiling. It's easier to grill than ribeyes, as less fat means less flarreups, and less burning.

Update

Exercise for the day has been pushups (50) and 4 minutes of planks. Functional exercise going forward is emptying our basement pantry.

My guests are arriving at 6:30 and I'll be in the kitchen shortly to start cooking. The finalized menu, which keeps an eye on tradition is:

Appys

Hummus and crackers

Second and third courses

Matzo ball soup
    Red wine braised brisket
    Baked chicken thighs
    Potato kugel
    Carrot Tzimmes

Desserts

Red and green grapes
    Birthday cake for one of our guests
    Whatever our guests bring

Beverages

Water
    Seltzer
    Wine
    Coffee
    Tea
    Whatever else our guests want

Have a great day!

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

A busy and late night yesterday and an early morning lead to a less than fully energetic day today. IOW, I'm dragging, but it was a nice time last night. Dinner went well and later today I'll start gearing up for tomorrow's party. Exercise has been minimal; I walked into town to do some errands and get my hair cut. Unlike Jaer I don't think my scale will register the difference.

TGIF!

20. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Belated Happy New Year.

Red wine braised brisket. :drool:

I hope it was NOT Manischewitz wine. :help:

There are better Kosher wines. The Golan Heights is making some world class wines these days.

Edited to add NOT

#19580 macdiver, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017